From: Garrett Smith on
Bwig Zomberi wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> Bwig Zomberi wrote:
>>> Garrett Smith wrote:

[...]

> Will you include BESEN?
> http://besen.sourceforge.net/

Launching the BESEN IDE...

alert(typeof Object); // undefined

I'm afraid that implementation is not yet ready.
--
Garrett
From: Jorge on
On Apr 13, 3:24 am, RobG <rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On reflection, the section seems a bit muddled (e.g. Whitebeam is not
> an engine, it is a use of Mozilla's SpiderMonkey). If the intention is
> to list some javascript engines and uses, perhaps that section should
> be re-written to firstly link to details of the implementation, then
> to some examples of its use, e.g.
>
>   WebKit SquirrelFish:http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/SquirrelFish
>     Used in the WebKit and Safari browsers, can also be used for
>     developing Dashboard Widgets
>      http://developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html

SquirrelFish is just the name of *a*version*of* JavaScriptCore.

There's a JavaScriptCore shell -for you to use independently of
webkit- installed into:

$ /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/
Resources/jsc

And there's an alias that points to the latest version inside every
nightly Safari:

$ /path/to/safari/Contents/Frameworks/10.6/JavaScriptCore.framework/
Versions/A/Resources/jsc

For example:

$ jsc -e 'print([print, typeof print])'
function print() {
[native code]
}, function

>(...)

>  8. Nitro - precursor to SquirrelFish

Nitro is SquirrelFish Extreme, it's currently the latest version of
JavaScriptCore.
--
Jorge.
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> Bwig Zomberi wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Will you include BESEN?
>> http://besen.sourceforge.net/
>>
> Launching the BESEN IDE...
>
> alert(typeof Object); // undefined
>
> I'm afraid that implementation is not yet ready.

Okay. Will you complete the Javascript Library Groups list and include
David Mark's? Right now only two are listed.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Garrett Smith on
Bwig Zomberi wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>> Bwig Zomberi wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Will you include BESEN?
>>> http://besen.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>> Launching the BESEN IDE...
>>
>> alert(typeof Object); // undefined
>>
>> I'm afraid that implementation is not yet ready.
>
> Okay. Will you complete the Javascript Library Groups list and include
> David Mark's? Right now only two are listed.

Earlier in this thread, RobG proposed the removal of the links to
Prototype and jQuery with reason.

There was a period of time when this NG had a lot of posts requesting
help with Prototype and jQuery. As a response to that, there were long
threads that did not provide the original poster with what he was
looking for. The links were added to provide direction for those who
wanted help with the library and did not have interest in learning
javascript.

That problem had never occurred with David Mark's library users.
--
Garrett
From: RobG on
On Apr 13, 3:55 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> RobG wrote:
> > On Apr 13, 10:51 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> RobG wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Javascript Library Groups (Google Groups)
> >> [list]
>
> > Not sure that section is useful. Prototype.js is just about dead, the
> > jQuery forum has moved to a different site and there are a number of
> > other "popular" libraries whose discussion forums aren't listed. Might
> > be best to say "search for a relevant group".
>
> As in:-
>
> | No javascript libraries are endorsed by this group. If you are looking
> | for help using a library, visit that library's discussion group
> | instead.
>
> And just remove the links found at:
> <http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#libraryResources>

Yes, I think that would be best.

> ?
>
> The phrase "or ask in
>
> > clj" could be added if it is thought such requests will be answered
> > civilly.
>
> I proposed quite some time ago something to the effect of: If you are
> interested in discussing the design of such libraries, c.l.js is the
> right place to do that.

What I really meant was ask for directions to a suitable group, not
for help with a specific library. I think it would be useful though if
when users of libraries asked questions they were given a response
that answers their question without the use of the library. I think
that is far more useful that just chiding them for using a library
(where "library" means one of jQuery, Prototype, YUI or whatever).

[...]
> > Perhaps just a section on ECMAScript implementations and some uses,
> > see my reply to your previous post.
>
> I see it.
>
> What about splitting that section into two:

I think the problem with such a list is maintenance. The section on
browsers likely needs to be updated a couple of times a year, adding
other implementations increases the maintenance significantly with
little benefit (there aren't many questions about javascript outside
browsers).

How about a heading like "Using javascript without a browser", so the
use is categorised, not particular implementations. It can then
discuss how it can be used for server-side processing, Dashboard
widgets, script shell, etc. to avoid pigeon-holing those that fit into
more than one category.

The section could be general with an advisory tone and links to some
of the better supported implementations and to Wikipedia (I realise
Wikipedia isn't authoritative, but it's a simpler solution than
attempting to maintain a comprehensive and current list in the FAQ).

If readers are looking for a particular type of implementation they
should be encouraged to ask in the group - discussion of such topics
is interesting to some and worth recording.

--
Rob