From: Jorge on
On Apr 12, 9:12 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Rhino is a non-browser javascript implementation and it does not appear
> in the FAQ resources under:
>
> Non-Browser javascript Implementations

Nor SpiderMonkey,
nor the v8 shell,
nor the JavaScriptCore shell,
nor way too many other things that should be in the resources faq but
aren't.
--
Jorge.
From: Garrett Smith on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <e885d7b6-5b34-4217-9291-2fb593c25b6b(a)30
> g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:20:43, Sean Kinsey
> <okinsey(a)gmail.com> posted:
>> On Apr 12, 9:12 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Rhino is a non-browser javascript implementation and it does not appear
>>> in the FAQ resources under:
>>>
>>> Non-Browser javascript Implementations
>>>
>>> I think the link should be on the list:
>>> <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>
>>> --
>>> Garrett
>>> comp.lang.javascript FAQ:http://jibbering.com/faq/
>> Why not use something along the lines of "Embeddable/console-based
>> [run-time environments/Virtual Machines] for 'javascript'".
>> I'm guessing the main point here is to list VM's available for use
>> outside the browser right?
>
> ECMA-type script engines can be classed as follows
> Used in Web browsers
> Used in Windows Script Host or similar
> Used in others.
> Some can appear in more than one of those.

A list of Standalone ECMAScript Implementations is what I had in mind.

I know Rhino is a popular one. It is used in YUI Compressor, ShrinkSafe,
JSDoc Toolkit, among others.

However, why not add in a link to V8 an Spidermonkey?

<http://code.google.com/p/v8/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/>

But then if that is done, the list of "Other ECMAScript Implementations"
separating the standalone implementations from the hodge-podge "other"
makes sense. That list would include Rhino, DMD, Spidermonkey, V8.

The link to FESI should be removed. It is an implementation of
ECMAScript edition 1.
--
Garrett
From: Asen Bozhilov on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> Launching theBESENIDE...
>
>    alert(typeof Object); // undefined

In which version you get that result? I use:

1.0.0.162

And I get expected result:

alert(typeof Object); // function

From: Garrett Smith on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <e885d7b6-5b34-4217-9291-2fb593c25b6b(a)30
>> g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:20:43, Sean Kinsey
>> <okinsey(a)gmail.com> posted:
>>> On Apr 12, 9:12 am, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> However, why not add in a link to V8 an Spidermonkey?
>
> <http://code.google.com/p/v8/>
> <http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/>
>
> But then if that is done, the list of "Other ECMAScript Implementations"
> separating the standalone implementations from the hodge-podge "other"
> makes sense. That list would include Rhino, DMD, Spidermonkey, V8.
>
> The link to FESI should be removed. It is an implementation of
> ECMAScript edition 1.

The link to FESI has been removed. Should the proposed list of
"standalone implementations" should not be under "online documentation".
It's a stretch, but another category might be appropriate. I haven't
thought of one yet.

--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
Asen Bozhilov wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> Launching theBESENIDE...
>>
>> alert(typeof Object); // undefined
>
> In which version you get that result? I use:
>
> 1.0.0.162

I got that in:

1.0.0.154

Other built-in and host objects are the same.

alert(typeof Function); // undefined
alert(typeof alert); // undefined

> And I get expected result:
>
> alert(typeof Object); // function

So they fixed it. I didn't play with it much beyond my initial tinkering
which indicated a pretty glaring flaw, right? I mean typeof Object ===
"undefined" should be obvious; it's a plain vanilla test case; nothing
tricky about it.

How much have you played with it? Have any formal tests been run on it?
--
Garrett