From: dwight on

"Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> rwalker wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:43:48 +0100, Robert Spanjaard
>> <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
>>> this. :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg
>>

>> Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
>> upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.
> Reminds me of my back yard at times. I live in Austin TX in an area
> labeled "Central City" by the real estate people, and it's not uncommon to
> see as many as eight whitetails at once in our yard. Many of them were
> born in our yard and the does keep returned to what we call the "deer
> neonatal center" to bear their fawns. A nuisance, but beautiful creatures.
> All the nurseries and garden shops have lists of what they won't eat. Most
> herbs, such as rosemary and basil, are on the lists, but surprisingly they
> don't eat irises.
> Allen

Philadelphia suburbs here, and the deer are nightly chomping on my
deer-resistant plantings, emptying my bird feeder ( ! ), and leaving hoof
prints and more, which drives my dog crazy in the mornings.

Never around when the sun comes up, never posing for pictures. They only
come around in the wee hours of the morning. Absolutely no quid pro quo.

dwight

From: David Ruether on

"rwalker" <rwalker(a)despammed.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:43:48 +0100, Robert Spanjaard
> <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

>>I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
>>this. :-)
>>
>>http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

> Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
> upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.

Unfortunately (I hear......), this is what our side yard looks like, but
we never see the deer, just the ditch they have dug down our front
slope to the road where they cross to a park. Other evidence: the
large numbers of piles of "brown marbles" in the yard, and the
uprooting of almost everything we planted in the yard (including the
eating to the ground of an old but stunted oak tree). A trip to Agway
for material to spray on foliage that was supposed to keep the deer
from eating everything just resulted in severe "deer diarrhea" for a
couple of months - WHEW, what a MESS!!!!!! ;-).
--DR

From: David Ruether on

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:47:10 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
>>> upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.

>>Upstate NY. Whereabouts?
>>Before I moved to California I lived in Syracuse, Utica, and in the
>>Adirondacks at a small place on the Fulton Chain of Lakes, Inlet
>>(plenty of deer & bear there).
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Savageduck

> Seneca Falls, about halfway between Syracuse and Rochester, right at
> the northern end of Cayuga Lake.

Al;so Ithaca, at the southern end of Cayuga Lake (and now black bears
have now moved in...). BTW, when the Seneca Army Depot was
open north of here (a storage location for nuclear weapons, supposedly),
a large area was fenced off, and it encouraged a strain of white deer
to grow to become the largest such herd in the world. See for more -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_White_Deer.
--DR

From: David Ruether on

> On 2010-03-27 20:07:48 -0700, rwalker <rwalker(a)despammed.com> said:

>>> Upstate NY. Whereabouts?
>>> Before I moved to California I lived in Syracuse, Utica, and in the
>>> Adirondacks at a small place on the Fulton Chain of Lakes, Inlet
>>> (plenty of deer & bear there). --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck

>> Seneca Falls, about halfway between Syracuse and Rochester, right at
>> the northern end of Cayuga Lake.

> Yup.
> I know exactly where Seneca Falls is.
> I was in Syracuse in '71&'72 on E. Genesee at the bottom of the hill from the University. I know that whole area quite well,
> having stomped over to Watkins Glen, Ithaca, Up to the Thousand Islands area, Alexander Bay, and East to Lake George, Corinth,
> Lake Lucerne, etc.
> Those were somewhat headier times for a 20 something. --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

I've lived in some purdy nice areas (like Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix,
Norman OK, Miami) and have traveled the west much and have been in
48 of the 50 states, but I kept returning to Ithaca for its wonderful "compact"
scenery. There are "zillions" of waterfalls (including the highest in the NE,
just up the road from me), glens, gorges, forests, rolling hills and fields, and
two great schools in this very small city, with most things within 5-10 minute
drive from my house, including the four NY State Parks here and the 25
Ithaca city parks, including a very large city-owned natural area. Add to this
two large bird sanctuaries, Cornell's large numbers of land holdings, plantations,
and flower gardens open to the public, and it is no wonder I kept coming back
here and finally stayed (even with the often-gruesome weather.......;-).
--DR

From: David Ruether on

"Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> rwalker wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:43:48 +0100, Robert Spanjaard
>> <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

>>> I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected this. :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

>> Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
>> upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.

> Reminds me of my back yard at times. I live in Austin TX in an area labeled "Central City" by the real estate people, and it's not
> uncommon to see as many as eight whitetails at once in our yard. Many of them were born in our yard and the does keep returned to
> what we call the "deer neonatal center" to bear their fawns. A nuisance, but beautiful creatures. All the nurseries and garden
> shops have lists of what they won't eat. Most herbs, such as rosemary and basil, are on the lists, but surprisingly they don't eat
> irises.
> Allen

They are beautiful, but destructive (and we unfortunately rarely see them
even with all the evidence of their presence) - and the worst is when we
too-often hear "SCRE-E-E-E-E-E-CH!!" - "THUNK!" Followed soon
by flashing lights and "BANG!, BANG!, BANG!" from the police ineptly
trying to put the injured deer out of its (their) misery. S - I - G - H ! ! !
(I used to be against hunting, but....) BTW, of all the many things we
planted, only an Austrian Pine (which we later cut down, not having done
our research before buying it), two of three low evergreen scrubs, and the
daffodils survived.
--DR

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Voices
Next: Nikon workers stage wildcat strike