From: Allen on
Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
> this. :-)
>
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg

Another deer story--
When LBJ had been President for a short time, CBS decided to do a
documentary on the Texas Hill Country, concentrating on the small part
that LBJ haled from. One of their cameramen rushed back to Austin in the
middle of the project, went to KTBC (owned by LBJ) and said "Quick!
Process this film! I've got pictures of thousands of deer!" (This was
before videotape.) They processed it and sure enough he had gotten
pictures of thousands of--goats.
Allen
From: David Ruether on

"Ken Walls" <kwalls(a)spamblocked.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 01:23:14 -0400, rwalker <rwalker(a)despammed.com> wrote:
>>On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:03:09 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
>><spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

>>> National Park Hoge Veluwe, Netherlands.
>>> http://maps.google.com/?ll=52.087734,5.83065&spn=0.082484,0.222988&t=h&z=13

>>In keeping with the theme of this thread, here is a photo I took a
>>couple weeks ago with an old Brownie Hawkeye using Kodak Portra VC2:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51646689(a)N00/4472600014/

Ah, the white deer near here...;-)

> While it's not uncommon to have 40+ deer amble by the edge of my woods
> every sunset-lit evening, and have tons of images of them, I prefer
> something a little more artistic,
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2757/4471900815_0f3b21b853_o.jpg
> or humorous.
> Like this one taken through my picture-window last winter,
> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4471900817_b617b850b8_o.jpg
> I was showing it everyone's usenet-posted crapshots.

NEAT! And, NEAT! 8^)
--DR

From: Paul Furman on
Allen wrote:
> rwalker wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:43:48 +0100, Robert Spanjaard
>> <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I'd be happy if I could spot _one_ deer. I never expected
>>> this. :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5204.jpg
>>

>> Where is this if you don't mind? I've seen this kind of thing in
>> upstate New York where I live, but not often that many at once.
> Reminds me of my back yard at times. I live in Austin TX in an area
> labeled "Central City" by the real estate people, and it's not uncommon
> to see as many as eight whitetails at once in our yard. Many of them
> were born in our yard and the does keep returned to what we call the
> "deer neonatal center" to bear their fawns. A nuisance, but beautiful
> creatures. All the nurseries and garden shops have lists of what they
> won't eat. Most herbs, such as rosemary and basil, are on the lists, but
> surprisingly they don't eat irises.

Iris are poisonous AFAIK. They will eat various poisonous plants though,
when hungry.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: David Ruether on

"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message news:hooe3o$4v$1(a)ruby.cit.cornell.edu...
> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message news:4baf8e37$1$31297$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com...
>> "David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message news:honvne$6ja$1(a)ruby.cit.cornell.edu...

>>> I've lived in some purdy nice areas (like Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix,
>>> Norman OK, Miami) and have traveled the west much and have been in
>>> 48 of the 50 states, but I kept returning to Ithaca for its wonderful "compact" scenery. There are "zillions" of waterfalls
>>> (including the highest in the NE, just up the road from me), glens, gorges, forests, rolling hills and fields, and two great
>>> schools in this very small city, with most things within 5-10 minute drive from my house, including the four NY State Parks here
>>> and the 25 Ithaca city parks, including a very large city-owned natural area. Add to this two large bird sanctuaries, Cornell's
>>> large numbers of land holdings, plantations, and flower gardens open to the public, and it is no wonder I kept coming back here
>>> and finally stayed (even with the often gruesome weather.......;-).
>>> --DR

>> We are planning about a one week drive towards the end on April. I would really appreciate it if you could pinpoint some of those
>> areas near Cornell, other than Watkins Glen. The falls need to be reasonably close to the parking area as my wife has a walking
>> issue.
>>
>> TIA
>> --
>> Peter

> Ah, if you want company, maybe I can serve as a guide (my email
> is on my web site, at www.donferrario.com/ruether, and I can give
> you a 'phone number). A partial list...

[I have modified, clarified, and added to what I wrote earlier...]

Ah, if you want company, maybe I can serve as a guide (my email
is on my web site, at www.donferrario.com/ruether, and I can give
you a 'phone number). A partial list is here , including some areas
meaningful or accessible only in summer through mid fall...
--Taughannock Falls overlook (about 7 miles north of Ithaca, on
Rt.89, turning left on the "slow Y" just after the bridge - watch for the
large parking area at the top of the hill), and there is also a Cayuga
Lake beach there (turn right immediately after crossing the bridge on
Rt.89 after entering the park). The walk in at the bottom (the parking
is left off Rt.89 a little before the bridge) is about 1.5 miles (flat) round
trip, and quite a sight as you round a bend, exit the woods, start over
a foot bridge and suddenly before you is a 215' falls. DO NOT CROSS
THE STONE BARRIERS!!! You can get close enough to the falls
staying behind the barriers to get quite wet on most days...;-) Rock
falls are common (on average, you may hear about two minor ones
per hour here), and I saw a family of four get hit by a 1/2-car size rock
that slipped out of the cliff wall near the top of the falls. NOT NICE!!!
Less well known is a short drive left going out of the overlook parking
lot and driving toward Rt.96 and Trumansburg, where you turn left at
the "T", cross the stone bridge there, then park in the lot on the left at
the other side of the bridge. A short walk takes you up onto an old
railroad bridge above another high falls, and there is a good view down
the gorge. The gorge floor trail and railroad bridge trail are generally
open all year, but other trails may not be open except in summer.
For photos, see -- http://nyfalls.com/taughannock.html.
--Buttermilk Falls State Park is at the city line, left from Rt.13 going
south. You can see a large "sloping" falls from a car, or a short walk
from the parking area (do not attempt to climb the trail beside the
falls unless you have more energy than I do! ;-). If you go back out to
Rt.13 and turn again south, there is almost immediately a left turn,
also to Buttermilk Park (the upper part). Go to the eventual "T" corner
(passing earlier the Lick Brook reserve and falls on a side turn), turn
left, and then right just after the end of the bridge at the bottom of the
hill. Walking back to the road and recrossing the bridge, there is a trail
on the downstream side with many falls along it. A trail on the other
side of the road goes through a nice woods, and eventually to a picnic
area, a falls, and a lake. I just thought - trails often open here quite late
due to trail conditions (rock falls, need to check for loose overhanging
rocks, etc. (DO NOT assume that cliff edges are safe either above or
from below - the rock here crumbles easily!!!) For photos, see --
http://nyfalls.com/taughannock.html.
--Robert Treman State Park is south of Ithaca a short way further
along 13, then right on a "slow Y" onto Rt.327. The lower entrance
is almost immediately on the left, where there is a bit of woods and
a short trail leading from the main parking lot to an "apron" falls and
a swimming area . From either side of the parking lot trails lead up
the L - O - N - G UPHILL gorge (this is not recommended as
the best use of time...). The upper part of the park (sometimes called
"Enfield") is reached by going out to Rt.327, turning left, and driving
uphill for what seems like forever (look back, the view is nice). You
eventually start downhill to the upper entrance to the park. An old
mill is by the parking lot at the lot at the end of the entry road. The
trails are closed until late (I've seen ice in the gorge as late as June...),
but if you are there in the summer, go to the far right end of the parking
lot, cross the small stone bridge, and STOP! ;-) The sign there will
mislead you (there is a short, but moderately strenuous, loop trail going
over a bridge near the bottom of a 160' Lucifer Falls that joins the long
loop trail from below). If you go straight ahead, it is a CLIMB to get
to one overlook (a good, but...), and then 200 steps straight down the
cliff beyond, only to climb up to where you can get much more easily
by going left at the sign and following a little, unassuming stream that
does something remarkable. It turns toward a cliff and cuts through it,
dropping with several falls, leading you to the head of the 160 footer.
Go until YOU SEE NO MORE WATER, then turn back and return
the same way (you will get great side views of the tall falls). DO NOT
TAKE the Red Pine trail - it is steep enough to be difficult in either
direction. On the return road trip, one of those two 10mph right-angle
bend signs near the end after a long downhill trip really means 10mph!
For photos, see -- http://nyfalls.com/treman.html.
--Cascadilla Glen (the trail is being reconstructed now, so it is closed)
has many nice falls in it (it goes from the intersection of University, Linn,
and Court Streets by the white church in downtown Ithaca up to College
Town by the Cornell Performing Arts Center and the Cornell campus
(a beautiful place to wander around, with a fine museum at the edge of
campus by the Fall Creek Gorge on the other side of the campus). The
interiors of Sage Chapel, the large atrium of the Sage business school,
the A. D. White library in the library that has the bell tower attached,
the library in the law school, and the dining hall in Risley dorm are
interesting, and lunch is available at most dining halls for under $11.
Ask about parking at the entry booths - Cornell tickets are expensive,
and the available lots are hard to find without a map (but a few are free).
For photos, see -- http://nyfalls.com/cascadilla.html.
--Ithaca Falls is the last falls in Fall Creek Gorge, and is about 125'
square - and MOST impressive after a couple of days of heavy rain
(the water shoots over it horizontally before dropping!). When the water
is not too high, it is a short, fairly easy walk to the falls (you can walk up
to within a few feet of it, but you will get soaked ;-), or you can view it
from the road bridge opposite the high school. For photos, see --
http://nyfalls.com/ithacafalls.html.
--There is a small free lot next to the high suspension bridge opposite the
Johnson Museum (and a pay meters in front of that, above the other
bridge entrance). The Asia section of the museum has spectacular views
up the lake, and you can move around the large windows on that floor
and see in every direction. If you are up to it, the door to the bell tower
opens about 20 minutes before the bells play (BRING EARPLUGS
if you go up under the bells! They are LOUD!!!!! But, the views are
spectacular!). Times and info are at http://chimes.cornell.edu/ - and it
is worth being on campus near the tower during the playing, even if you
don't make the climb (and there is still an interesting view from near
the tower toward the town and Cayuga Lake). A bit more is here --
http://www.cornell.edu/visiting/ithaca/.
--Further upstream is a road bridge with a Payomatic parking lot for
access to Beebe Lake, the woods, and the foot bridge in front of a
dam and falls. Beyond by road is the plantations area, herb garden,
flower garden, rhododendron hill, and antique plants area (all free,
with free parking). See for more -- http://www.cornellplantations.org.
--Beyond that are wildflower trails on the hills and along the water below,
woods trails, the Cornell Plantations with specimen shrubs and trees,
etc, on out to farms in the country, the Geneva station, the Weill-Cornell
Medical College in NYC, Shoals Marine Lab in Maine, a part in London,
Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico (Never did get sent there to
photograph that, darn! But I did get to photograph other interesting things
along the way...;-), and Mars, with the rovers...;-) Oops! These last
aren't close to Ithaca...;-) As you probably know, this can be useful -
http://maps.google.com/. Later in the year would be better for a visit,
as in July, but...
--One more: if you drive north on Rt.13 beyond the top of the hill and
the Ithaca Mall, and just past the airport turn, there is a turn on the
right for "Sapsucker Woods", with a building with chairs and observation
'scopes looking out onto the pond, and nice, well-maintained trails
through the woods - with boardwalks over the swampy areas. Even
short walks are nice, like the one to the left of the building entrance (it
returns to the other side of the building after circling the large pond),
and the one from the small parking area on the left a little further up the
road (turn left at the "T" unless you want to make the loop). BTW,
the Cornell Lab of Ornithology has the world's largest archive of bird
and animal sounds (and, well, heck - its Museum of Vertebrates there
has about 1,000,000 fish, 45,000 birds, 3,200 eggs, and 15,000
specimens each of mammals, reptiles, and amphibians. More is at --
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/about/BuildingAndSanctuary/index.html.
--North of Ithaca is the old Seneca Army Depot, with the largest herd
of white deer in the world (often seen near the fence). The best views
are along Rt.96A straight through Ovid (turning right in Ovid
continues north on Rt.96) along Seneca Lake toward Sampson State
Park. For a description, see --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_White_Deer.
--Oops, almost forgot the Ithaca Farmers Market (on the Inlet, with
nearby parking). Good country acoustic music, friendly people, fresh
local produce. See - www.ithacamarket.com/ifm-fun-stuff/photo-gallery/
for photos, www.ithacamarket.com/ for times, and "ithaca farmers
market" on http:maps.google.com for maps and directions.

As you know, there is Watkins Glen State Park (a beautiful glen with
many falls, including two you walk under on the trail, and sometimes
the walls "cup" nearly together above you) a beautiful 1/2 hour drive
from Ithaca http://nyfalls.com/watkinsglensp.html), Letchworth State
Park, also west of Ithaca, with large waterfalls
(http://nyfalls.com/letchworth-main.html), and of course, the very large
Niagara Falls, further west (http://nyfalls.com/niagara/niagara-main.html).
Less well known are the many other falls near here, including one very
high one north on Rt.13. There is even a small falls with an eternal
flame behind it. BTW, you can access more photos of NYS
waterfalls here -- http://www.nyfalls.com/gmap.html (click on the
"balloons" to find out what they mark).

Have fun!
--DR

From: Peter on

> [...]
> local produce. See - www.ithacamarket.com/ifm-fun-stuff/photo-gallery/
> for photos, www.ithacamarket.com/ for times, and "ithaca farmers
> market" on http:maps.google.com for maps and directions.
>
> As you know, there is Watkins Glen State Park (a beautiful glen with
> many falls, including two you walk under on the trail, and sometimes
> the walls "cup" nearly together above you) a beautiful 1/2 hour drive
> from Ithaca http://nyfalls.com/watkinsglensp.html), Letchworth State
> Park, also west of Ithaca, with large waterfalls
> (http://nyfalls.com/letchworth-main.html), and of course, the very large
> Niagara Falls, further west
> (http://nyfalls.com/niagara/niagara-main.html).
> Less well known are the many other falls near here, including one very
> high one north on Rt.13. There is even a small falls with an eternal
> flame behind it. BTW, you can access more photos of NYS

thanks for your reply. Right now I am working about 80 hrs a week and am
completely zombified. I will get back to you after the 15th,

--
Peter

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Voices
Next: Nikon workers stage wildcat strike