From: Gareth Magennis on

"Andy Hart" <news(a)ANDYHART.terra.es> wrote in message
> Hi, I've used a single Peavey Subcompact 18 (Black Widow 18") for about 5
> years with no problems, unfortunately I left it in an aircraft hanger for
> about 3 months recently and when I came to use it I found the cone had
> stuck (corroded) to the magnet. It was unrecoverable so I ordered a
> replacement basket from Peavey UK. It arrived, I fitted it and ran it for
> about 30 mins at lower than (about 2 thirds) normal volume, it started to
> produce an acrid smell, I shut down, removed the speaker and magnet, the
> coil was slightly darkened and the coil former had blistered.
>
> I rang Peavey customer service who told me I'm using an amp with too much
> power (Peavey 8.5c - 850w rms bridged into 8 ohms) and they would not
> replace the basket under warranty.
>
> Is this correct? Am I using an amp with too much power?
>

> I've previously used this same setup successfully for the past 5 years at
> higher levels with no problems.

That may well be your perception but the evidence points to the contrary.
Speakers get dark coils and blistered formers because too much power has
been shoved into it. How many ohms was the basket and were you driving it
Bridged?

And please don't say you're a DJ.

Gareth.

From: Eeyore on

Andy Hart wrote:

> I ran it
> for about 30 mins at lower than (about 2 thirds) normal volume

How do you know it was as yopu say " 2 thirds normal volume " ? Do you have
calibrated ears ?

What IS " 2 thirds normal volume " supposed to be in the first place ? Power is
normally measured in watts and volume in dB !

Graham

From: Eeyore on

Andy Hart wrote:

> I rang Peavey customer service who told me I'm using an amp with too
> much power (Peavey 8.5c - 850w rms bridged into 8 ohms) and they would
> not replace the basket under warranty.
>
> Is this correct? Am I using an amp with too much power?
>
> I've previously used this same setup successfully for the past 5 years
> at higher levels with no problems.

The power rating is 350W continuous. An 850W amp will have no trouble damaging
it.

Your judgement of '2/3rds volume' (whatever that's supposed to be) is clearly
defective.

As to the recommended amplifier size, that depends a lot on how you use it.

Graham

From: Andy Hart on
In message <46A62437.3EFAB29C(a)hotmail.com>, Eeyore
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> writes

>Andy Hart wrote:
>
>> I ran it
>> for about 30 mins at lower than (about 2 thirds) normal volume
>
>How do you know it was as yopu say " 2 thirds normal volume " ? Do you have
>calibrated ears ?

The master fader was 2 thirds it's "normal position"

Lets just say less than I normally use.

>What IS " 2 thirds normal volume " supposed to be in the first place ?
>Power is
>normally measured in watts and volume in dB !

Yes, I did say "about 2 thirds", I did not have any way of measuring the
output of the amp, I just set it less than usual for that system.
--
Regards
Andy Hart
From: Andy Hart on
In message <POqdnRQE-aT5gDvbRVnysAA(a)bt.com>, Gareth Magennis
<sound.service(a)btconnect.com> writes

>"Andy Hart" <news(a)ANDYHART.terra.es> wrote in message
>> Hi, I've used a single Peavey Subcompact 18 (Black Widow 18") for about 5
>> years with no problems, unfortunately I left it in an aircraft hanger for
>> about 3 months recently and when I came to use it I found the cone had
>> stuck (corroded) to the magnet. It was unrecoverable so I ordered a
>> replacement basket from Peavey UK. It arrived, I fitted it and ran it for
>> about 30 mins at lower than (about 2 thirds) normal volume, it started to
>> produce an acrid smell, I shut down, removed the speaker and magnet, the
>> coil was slightly darkened and the coil former had blistered.
>>
>> I rang Peavey customer service who told me I'm using an amp with too much
>> power (Peavey 8.5c - 850w rms bridged into 8 ohms) and they would not
>> replace the basket under warranty.
>>
>> Is this correct? Am I using an amp with too much power?
>>
>> I've previously used this same setup successfully for the past 5 years at
>> higher levels with no problems.
>>
>That may well be your perception but the evidence points to the contrary.
>Speakers get dark coils and blistered formers because too much power has
>been shoved into it.

Yep, sounds reasonable

> How many ohms was the basket

8 ohms

> and were you driving it
>Bridged?

Yes, the same as I've always done, the manual states ...

8 ohms (Bridge mode, mono) 850 W RMS

The speaker is rated at 700w, I don't think this is excessive as the
rule of thumb is amp power double speaker power (for head room)

>And please don't say you're a DJ.

:-) No I am not a DJ, live gigs, middle of the road to rock.

--
Regards
Andy Hart