From: Gareth Magennis on

"Andy Hart" <news(a)ANDYHART.terra.es> wrote in message
> In message <46A64324.658429E4(a)hotmail.com>, Eeyore
> <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> writes
>>

>>Andy Hart wrote:
>>
>>> Eeyore writes

>>> See my other post.
>>
>>What signal / material were you playing through it ?
>
> An MP3 player with background music, music varies pop, rock, country,
> ballads.
>
>> The only way to be sure of the
>>power is to meter the amp output.

>>> Agreed, but I have been using the system for the past 5 years in this
>>> configuration with no problems. The old basket didn't burn or smell, it
>>> just gave good clean bass, the new one (with less stress) had an attempt
>>> at burn out. could it have been defective manufacture?
>>
>>I doubt that it's a manufacturing issue. If there's any difference, modern
>>materials are better so will take more of a beating.
>>
>>One possibility not yet considered is that there may have been some
>>ultrasonic
>>oscillation from the amplifier. You wouldn't hear that but it'll certainly
>>cook a
>>voice coil.
>
> Yes, the amp is quite an old Peavey 8.5c, maybe it's time to retire it,
> it's not the best quality anyway and could very easily have a problem.
>
>> You'd need some test gear (and maybe a techie too) to check that out of
>>course.
>
> My Other Peavey (1.3k) went "DC" and blew the top cabs (replaced with a
> Behringer), maybe it's time to ditch Peavey altogether.

I've repaired quite a few Peavey amps in my time and I can't remember one
ever having gone DC and taken out speakers. Even the crappiest of amps now
tend to have rudimentary protection against this.

From: Eeyore on

"Ron(UK)" wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:
>
> > Don't forget that lead-free soldering looks like dry joints by its very nature.
>
> Year but I can tell the difference between a lead free joint, a dry
> joint and a joint with so little solder in it that I can probably pluck
> the component from the board with my fingers.

It's all to keep Greenpeace and Al Gore happy.

Graham

From: Ron(UK) on
Eeyore wrote:

> "Ron(UK)" wrote:
>
>> Eeyore wrote:
>>
>>> Don't forget that lead-free soldering looks like dry joints by its very nature.
>> Year but I can tell the difference between a lead free joint, a dry
>> joint and a joint with so little solder in it that I can probably pluck
>> the component from the board with my fingers.
>
> It's all to keep Greenpeace and Al Gore happy.

I bought some Studiospares di boxes a while back, out of four boxes,
three of them had intermittent dry joint problems out of the boxes, the
forth one looked as tho it had been reworked already!

It`s all gonna end in tears...

Ron(UK)
From: Gareth Magennis on
>>That may well be your perception but the evidence points to the contrary.
>>Speakers get dark coils and blistered formers because too much power has
>>been shoved into it.
>
> Yep, sounds reasonable
>
>> How many ohms was the basket
>
> 8 ohms
>
>> and were you driving it
>>Bridged?
>
> Yes, the same as I've always done, the manual states ...
>
> 8 ohms (Bridge mode, mono) 850 W RMS
>
> The speaker is rated at 700w, I don't think this is excessive as the
> rule of thumb is amp power double speaker power (for head room)

No it isn't, its rated 350W RMS.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM99/Peavey/SP-Subcompact-18.html

Gareth.

From: Andy Hart on
In message <CICdnTuKCK_CiTrbRVnyggA(a)bt.com>, Gareth Magennis
<sound.service(a)btconnect.com> writes
>>>That may well be your perception but the evidence points to the contrary.
>>>Speakers get dark coils and blistered formers because too much power has
>>>been shoved into it.
>>
>> Yep, sounds reasonable
>>
>>> How many ohms was the basket
>>
>> 8 ohms
>>
>>> and were you driving it
>>>Bridged?
>>
>> Yes, the same as I've always done, the manual states ...
>>
>> 8 ohms (Bridge mode, mono) 850 W RMS
>>
>> The speaker is rated at 700w, I don't think this is excessive as the
>> rule of thumb is amp power double speaker power (for head room)
>>

>No it isn't, its rated 350W RMS.
>

>http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM99/Peavey/SP-Subcompact-18.html

Yes, the above (and the manual) states ...

"Power Handling: 350 W continuous, 700 W program, 1,400 W peak"

Is 850w too powerful for this spec?

If so I'm quite happy to learn my lesson and move on, but this
configuration has been working well for the past 5 years, this is the
part that confuses me.
--
Regards
Andy Hart