From: Ron(UK) on
Phildo wrote:
> "Ron(UK)" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>> I bought some Studiospares di boxes a while back, out of four boxes, three
>> of them had intermittent dry joint problems out of the boxes, the forth
>> one looked as tho it had been reworked already!
>
> Three out of the 4 studiospares DI boxes I used last year had the XLR socket
> go on them. Just came loose and fell in to the box.
>
> Phildo

Yeah, the soldering is atrocious, which is a shame because they are a
good sounding box once the dry joints have been sorted out. Another
problem is that there`s nothing to stop the battery flopping about
inside, as I rarely use them on battery, it`s not a worry.

They were �18 each when I bought mine btw, over ten quid off normal price.

Ron(UK)
From: Sean Conolly on
"Andy Hart" <news(a)ANDYHART.terra.es> wrote in message
> In message <CICdnTuKCK_CiTrbRVnyggA(a)bt.com>, Gareth Magennis
> <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> writes
>>>
>>> Yep, sounds reasonable

>>> 8 ohms

>>> Yes, the same as I've always done, the manual states ...
>>>
>>> 8 ohms (Bridge mode, mono) 850 W RMS
>>>
>>> The speaker is rated at 700w, I don't think this is excessive as the
>>> rule of thumb is amp power double speaker power (for head room)
>>>

>>No it isn't, its rated 350W RMS.
>>

>>http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM99/Peavey/SP-Subcompact-18.html
>
> Yes, the above (and the manual) states ...
>
> "Power Handling: 350 W continuous, 700 W program, 1,400 W peak"
>
> Is 850w too powerful for this spec?
>
> If so I'm quite happy to learn my lesson and move on, but this
> configuration has been working well for the past 5 years, this is the part
> that confuses me.

All Black Widows are not the same. I've had some that would toast quickly at
400w and still have one that has seen 600w many, many times over the last 12
years. The one that is still working is simply the exception, by all rights
it should have toasted like the rest of them. For these speakers the 350w
rating is definitely the one you want to follow.

Sean

From: Andy Hart on
In message <cLUri.26063$7G1.17345(a)bignews4.bellsouth.net>, Sean Conolly
<sjconolly_98(a)yaaho.com> writes

>All Black Widows are not the same. I've had some that would toast quickly at
>400w and still have one that has seen 600w many, many times over the last 12
>years. The one that is still working is simply the exception, by all rights
>it should have toasted like the rest of them. For these speakers the 350w
>rating is definitely the one you want to follow.

This seems to be the case here. Another lesson learnt, 110GBP down the
drain and replacement speakers purchased.

Cheers
--
Regards
Andy Hart