From: Andy Hart on
Hi, I've used a single Peavey Subcompact 18 (Black Widow 18") for about
5 years with no problems, unfortunately I left it in an aircraft hanger
for about 3 months recently and when I came to use it I found the cone
had stuck (corroded) to the magnet. It was unrecoverable so I ordered a
replacement basket from Peavey UK. It arrived, I fitted it and ran it
for about 30 mins at lower than (about 2 thirds) normal volume, it
started to produce an acrid smell, I shut down, removed the speaker and
magnet, the coil was slightly darkened and the coil former had
blistered.

I rang Peavey customer service who told me I'm using an amp with too
much power (Peavey 8.5c - 850w rms bridged into 8 ohms) and they would
not replace the basket under warranty.

Is this correct? Am I using an amp with too much power?

I've previously used this same setup successfully for the past 5 years
at higher levels with no problems.

TIA for an advice
--
Regards
Andy Hart
From: Phil Allison on

"Andy Hart"

> Hi, I've used a single Peavey Subcompact 18 (Black Widow 18") for about 5
> years with no problems, unfortunately I left it in an aircraft hanger for
> about 3 months recently and when I came to use it I found the cone had
> stuck (corroded) to the magnet. It was unrecoverable so I ordered a
> replacement basket from Peavey UK. It arrived, I fitted it

** Huh ?????????

So, the magnet gap had corroded SOOOO badly the voice coil was jammed
tight.

And YOU just shoved a new voice coil in the same horrible, corroded hole ?

Ought to have you up for malicious speaker abuse....

The rest of you crackpot abuse story is even worse.

........ Phil

From: Bob Urz on

Phil Allison wrote:

> "Andy Hart"
>
>>Hi, I've used a single Peavey Subcompact 18 (Black Widow 18") for about 5
>>years with no problems, unfortunately I left it in an aircraft hanger for
>>about 3 months recently and when I came to use it I found the cone had
>>stuck (corroded) to the magnet. It was unrecoverable so I ordered a
>>replacement basket from Peavey UK. It arrived, I fitted it
>

> ** Huh ?????????
>
> So, the magnet gap had corroded SOOOO badly the voice coil was jammed
> tight.
>
> And YOU just shoved a new voice coil in the same horrible, corroded hole ?
>
> Ought to have you up for malicious speaker abuse....

Be interesting to attend a court session for the "court of malicious
speaker abuse"

Your honor, i swear the amps where not clipping!
ANd that cheap power amp, its just as good as a Xerox.....
I cannot put 1000 watts into the radio shack micronta speaker?

Bob

From: Andy Hart on
In message <5gmg5mF3h6guuU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Phil Allison
<philallison(a)tpg.com.au> writes

>"Andy Hart"
>>
>> Hi, I've used a single Peavey Subcompact 18 (Black Widow 18") for about 5
>> years with no problems, unfortunately I left it in an aircraft hanger for
>> about 3 months recently and when I came to use it I found the cone had
>> stuck (corroded) to the magnet. It was unrecoverable so I ordered a
>> replacement basket from Peavey UK. It arrived, I fitted it
>

>** Huh ?????????
>
>So, the magnet gap had corroded SOOOO badly the voice coil was jammed
>tight.

Not that bad, the voice coil had stuck but it came free after some
gentle up and down movement of the cone.

>And YOU just shoved a new voice coil in the same horrible, corroded hole ?

No ... I cleaned out the groove with very fine "wet & dry" paper, then
cleaned it with folded masking tape (as per the instructions) and then
blew out the slot with an air line nozzle. It was scrupulously clean.

>Ought to have you up for malicious speaker abuse....

I don't think so ...

>The rest of you crackpot abuse story is even worse.

Maybe ... but true nevertheless ...

Thanks for your input Phil.
--
Regards
Andy Hart
From: GregS on
In article <fFmNi7BCOhpGFw4m(a)freeuk.com>, andy(a)andyhart.freeuk.com wrote:
>In message <5gmg5mF3h6guuU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Phil Allison
><philallison(a)tpg.com.au> writes
>>
>>"Andy Hart"
>>>
>>> Hi, I've used a single Peavey Subcompact 18 (Black Widow 18") for about 5
>>> years with no problems, unfortunately I left it in an aircraft hanger for
>>> about 3 months recently and when I came to use it I found the cone had
>>> stuck (corroded) to the magnet. It was unrecoverable so I ordered a
>>> replacement basket from Peavey UK. It arrived, I fitted it
>>

>>** Huh ?????????
>>
>>So, the magnet gap had corroded SOOOO badly the voice coil was jammed
>>tight.
>
>Not that bad, the voice coil had stuck but it came free after some
>gentle up and down movement of the cone.
>
>>And YOU just shoved a new voice coil in the same horrible, corroded hole ?
>
>No ... I cleaned out the groove with very fine "wet & dry" paper, then
>cleaned it with folded masking tape (as per the instructions) and then
>blew out the slot with an air line nozzle. It was scrupulously clean.
>
>>Ought to have you up for malicious speaker abuse....
>
>I don't think so ...
>
>>The rest of you crackpot abuse story is even worse.
>
>Maybe ... but true nevertheless ...
>
>Thanks for your input Phil.

I might have put some lube in there just in case.

If I did try to break something in, I might go in steps so bubbles don't form
on the coil. I don't think I would go over 1/4 to 1/3 rated power for
any length of time.

greg