From: ROFLMAO! on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:01:55 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>As a hobbyist of average talent

ROFLMAO!

From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:01:55 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>So my remark stands, I can see no apparent need for the equipment she
>owns other than bragging rights.

What has "need" to do with what we purchase once we are beyond the
basics? Isn't the ability to buy the luxuries we want one of the
reasons we strive for success in our occupation?

Who are you to decide what someone else "needs" if that person is
purchasing those items with their own money and not yours?

I drive an older Toyota Rav4 with 60+ thousand miles on it. I bought
it used. I am not a car person; I look for a practical vehicle with
the configuration that works for my needs in a vehicle.

If you drive a Mercedes, a BMW, or some other more expensive car, do
you think I should worry if you have no apparent need for a car that
costs that much?

Rita/Larry, if I'm not mistaken, buys things that he/she can sell on
eBay at a profit. Or used to. Not junque, but industrial equipment
and such. If he/she is smart enough to know what to buy and how to
market it, why should *anyone* else be concerned about what he/she
does with his/her disposable income? I don't know if Rita/Larry has a
regular occupation in addition to this, but I really don't care.

I don't think it's within your purview to decide what his/her "needs"
are. It is within your purview to comment on his/her results in using
the equipment since he/she links to the results as an open invitation
for comment. What you don't see is a positive result of that
expensive equipment, but that has nothing to with "need".

I'm tired of writing "him/her". His/her gender is another thing that
makes no difference to me, but I'm not going to be the one who decides
which it is.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-08-03 21:51:21 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:01:55 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> So my remark stands, I can see no apparent need for the equipment she
>> owns other than bragging rights.
>
> What has "need" to do with what we purchase once we are beyond the
> basics? Isn't the ability to buy the luxuries we want one of the
> reasons we strive for success in our occupation?
>
> Who are you to decide what someone else "needs" if that person is
> purchasing those items with their own money and not yours?
>
> I drive an older Toyota Rav4 with 60+ thousand miles on it. I bought
> it used. I am not a car person; I look for a practical vehicle with
> the configuration that works for my needs in a vehicle.
>
> If you drive a Mercedes, a BMW, or some other more expensive car, do
> you think I should worry if you have no apparent need for a car that
> costs that much?
>
> Rita/Larry, if I'm not mistaken, buys things that he/she can sell on
> eBay at a profit. Or used to. Not junque, but industrial equipment
> and such. If he/she is smart enough to know what to buy and how to
> market it, why should *anyone* else be concerned about what he/she
> does with his/her disposable income? I don't know if Rita/Larry has a
> regular occupation in addition to this, but I really don't care.
>
> I don't think it's within your purview to decide what his/her "needs"
> are. It is within your purview to comment on his/her results in using
> the equipment since he/she links to the results as an open invitation
> for comment. What you don't see is a positive result of that
> expensive equipment, but that has nothing to with "need".
>
> I'm tired of writing "him/her". His/her gender is another thing that
> makes no difference to me, but I'm not going to be the one who decides
> which it is.

....Um, ...er. Point taken.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: SneakyP on
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in

> ...I do like nice things though, and most times they seem to be
> prohibitively expensive.

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of RAAL tweets. Different hobby of
course, but it's just a $1,200 ribbon tweeter speaker with a sweetly
diffracted high-end. (or so it has been praised).

OTOH, I want a lens that can produce the clarity that one seems to show and
it appears that it's going to cost about $1,000 to do that, with the rest
of the equipment being compatible too.

--
SneakyP
To email me, you know what to do.

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 00:40:11 -0500, SneakyP
<48umofa02(a)WHITELISTONLYsneakemail.com> wrote:

>Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in
>

>> ...I do like nice things though, and most times they seem to be
>> prohibitively expensive.
>>

>I'd like to get my hands on a pair of RAAL tweets. Different hobby of
>course, but it's just a $1,200 ribbon tweeter speaker with a sweetly
>diffracted high-end. (or so it has been praised).
>
>OTOH, I want a lens that can produce the clarity that one seems to show and
>it appears that it's going to cost about $1,000 to do that, with the rest
>of the equipment being compatible too.

That's another area where "needs" don't come into play when it comes
to spending money. People buy god-awful expensive sound systems and
then listen to Lady GaGa or some-such. Cars sit next to me at
intersections with thousands of dollars worth of sound equipment
blaring out rap "music" so loudly that my door panel shakes. They
have more money in their rims and wheels than my car costs.

To each his own.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida