From: LOL! on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:43:55 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:54:40 -0500, George Kerby
><ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>As I recall, there were extra certificaion needed for cave diving. I must
>>admit, I never had any interest is such things. Hell, I get weird in a MRI
>>machine! I just wanted to blow bubbles and take pictures on pretty reefs. I
>>have been to Flower Gardens in the Texas Gulf and Cozumel. Bonaire, I
>>understand, is a destination that ant diver should add: It's on my 'Bucket
>>List'. How do you like the Pennekamp Park? We're planning a trip to the Keys
>>in January.
>
>Depends. If it's a family trip and there are non-divers in the group,
>Pennekamp is a good destination. Non-divers can swim and snorkel, and
>divers can shore dive. There's a reconstruction of a Spanish wreck
>about 100' offshore. For a group of divers, it's too crowded with
>swimmers and snorklers. It is a good compromise for a family group.
>
>The divers will want to go out on one of the many boats based in Key
>Largo. Many of the boats will take both divers and snorklers if you
>have family members that do snorkel but don't dive. The better
>diving and snorkeling is a few miles offshore. I usually go to
>Islamorada instead of Key Largo. However, there are good dive outfits
>all down the Keys. A little pre-trip research on dive sites,
>especially wrecks, is the way to go.
>
>January can be cold. Not cold like you have in the north, but
>uncomfortably cold for snorklers and divers. Skins are a good
>investment, and trap enough body-heated water to add to your comfort.
>Not a dive suit, but a Lycra skin like:
>http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-44/148276/Neosport-by-Henderson-Unisex-Sport-Skin-Jumpsuit.html
>About $30 in most dive shops in the area.
>
>I wear a full skin on every dive because I get a highly allergic
>reaction to Fire Coral. I have to get shots after or the wounds swell
>and fester. I have scars on my hands from Fire Coral when I forgot my
>dive gloves. My wife, a non-diver, wears a skin when snorkeling to
>keep her back from being sunburned.
>
>Here I am in a skin at Sting Ray City in the Caymans:
>http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/skins.jpg
>Note the "Dilbert's boss's hair".

Oh my. Look at all the basement living trolls pretending like they've
actually done something interesting once in their lives!

LOL!

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:44:04 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:43:55 -0400, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 18:54:40 -0500, George Kerby
>><ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>As I recall, there were extra certificaion needed for cave diving. I must
>>>admit, I never had any interest is such things. Hell, I get weird in a MRI
>>>machine! I just wanted to blow bubbles and take pictures on pretty reefs. I
>>>have been to Flower Gardens in the Texas Gulf and Cozumel. Bonaire, I
>>>understand, is a destination that ant diver should add: It's on my 'Bucket
>>>List'. How do you like the Pennekamp Park? We're planning a trip to the Keys
>>>in January.
>>
>>Depends. If it's a family trip and there are non-divers in the group,
>>Pennekamp is a good destination. Non-divers can swim and snorkel, and
>>divers can shore dive. There's a reconstruction of a Spanish wreck
>>about 100' offshore. For a group of divers, it's too crowded with
>>swimmers and snorklers. It is a good compromise for a family group.
>>
>>The divers will want to go out on one of the many boats based in Key
>>Largo. Many of the boats will take both divers and snorklers if you
>>have family members that do snorkel but don't dive. The better
>>diving and snorkeling is a few miles offshore. I usually go to
>>Islamorada instead of Key Largo. However, there are good dive outfits
>>all down the Keys. A little pre-trip research on dive sites,
>>especially wrecks, is the way to go.
>>
>>January can be cold. Not cold like you have in the north, but
>>uncomfortably cold for snorklers and divers. Skins are a good
>>investment, and trap enough body-heated water to add to your comfort.
>>Not a dive suit, but a Lycra skin like:
>>http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-44/148276/Neosport-by-Henderson-Unisex-Sport-Skin-Jumpsuit.html
>>About $30 in most dive shops in the area.
>>
>>I wear a full skin on every dive because I get a highly allergic
>>reaction to Fire Coral. I have to get shots after or the wounds swell
>>and fester. I have scars on my hands from Fire Coral when I forgot my
>>dive gloves. My wife, a non-diver, wears a skin when snorkeling to
>>keep her back from being sunburned.
>>
>>Here I am in a skin at Sting Ray City in the Caymans:
>>http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/skins.jpg
>>Note the "Dilbert's boss's hair".
>
>Oh my. Look at all the basement living trolls pretending like they've
>actually done something interesting once in their lives!
>
>LOL!

This particular poster can't be a "basement living troll". Florida
houses don't *have* basements. The only way to have a basement in a
house in this area is to build the house on fill and have the ground
floor several feet higher than street level.

Having never been to Florida - despite your tall tales of imaginary
trips on week-long treks in the Everglades seeking rare botanical
samples - you wouldn't know that.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: LOL! on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:03:58 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:

>>>Having never been to Florida - despite your tall tales of imaginary
>>>trips on week-long treks in the Everglades seeking rare botanical
>>>samples - you wouldn't know that.
>

>p.s. It's not just "week long" trips into the Everglades. Try 9-month long
>treks while LIVING in the Everglades to document its many life-forms. You
>namby-pamby fuckwad. Go eat your pablum.

Like this more colorful of the many many dozens of species of rare and
endangered "Tree Snails" that I documented. Found on many dozens of remote
and isolated hammocks scattered throughout the Everglades. Reachable only
by kayak or airboat. (Airboats are far too noisy, they scare the wildlife,
would never even consider them for photography treks. Leave them for the
know-nothing tourists, and idiot hunters, that scare away everything they
are trying to find.)

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4861855661_65a5f81b42.jpg>

Greatly JPG degraded because even a thumbnail of this particular species is
highly marketable. You don't even get to see the ones with decent
composition.

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:03:58 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lolololol.org> wrote:

>p.s. It's not just "week long" trips into the Everglades. Try 9-month long
>treks while LIVING in the Everglades to document its many life-forms. You
>namby-pamby fuckwad. Go eat your pablum.

Do you really think that anyone reading your posts, anyone at all,
believes these stories?

It's probably excellent therapy for you to create these stories about
your life-as-you-would-have-liked-to-have-lived-it, but are you so
delusional that you think you are actually fooling anyone?

Talk about laughing out loud.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
"George Kerby" <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I got both cards with certification in the late 80's. I don't know if it
> was
> a PADI or a Y requirement for a 60' open water dive, but I had to do so in
> local lake and pass written exam before I got paper to get tanks filled.

Never hear od Y, but PADI requires an open water dive.

> He clearly had no business having that card and leaving his buddy to go it
> alone, although he probably had a divemaster buddy up, I would think.

The guy could have panicked. Sometimes it just depends on who you took your
lessons with. On my first dive I took a resort course inSt. thoma. I quickly
realized what I didn't know and took a regular PADI course. We went through
a timed speed swimming session prior to every lesson. A few guys dropped
out because they didn't have the stamina to do a hard 20 minute swim.

> When I was getting started, computers were just becoming popular, but we
> still had to do the tables.

When I got started, several years earlier than you, we just did the tables.

--
Peter