From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Bruce:
>The "logic" behind the police action, if there is any, is concerned
>with being seen by the public to be doing something about the
>terrorist threat. Think of it as being more about PR than about
>counter-terrorism.

In the USA, at least, I think that the worst thing terrorists
have done - second to killing people - is to cause us to put a
bunch of bureaucrats in the position of trying to look like they
are doing something.
--
PeteCresswell
From: J. Clarke on
On 6/25/2010 8:09 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Bruce:
>> The "logic" behind the police action, if there is any, is concerned
>> with being seen by the public to be doing something about the
>> terrorist threat. Think of it as being more about PR than about
>> counter-terrorism.
>
> In the USA, at least, I think that the worst thing terrorists
> have done - second to killing people - is to cause us to put a
> bunch of bureaucrats in the position of trying to look like they
> are doing something.

Actually I believe that we can blame the Depression for that one. 9/11
just added more to the tally.

From: SneakyP on
"(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in

> Per Bruce:
>>The "logic" behind the police action, if there is any, is concerned
>>with being seen by the public to be doing something about the
>>terrorist threat. Think of it as being more about PR than about
>>counter-terrorism.
>
> In the USA, at least, I think that the worst thing terrorists
> have done - second to killing people - is to cause us to put a
> bunch of bureaucrats in the position of trying to look like they
> are doing something.

Um, yes - those polytics are destroying the constitution slowly but
surely. America is becoming less democratic by the day.

From: Bruce on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:42:14 -0500, SneakyP
<noneyabidnezz(a)invalid.org> wrote:

>"(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in
>
>> Per Bruce:
>>>The "logic" behind the police action, if there is any, is concerned
>>>with being seen by the public to be doing something about the
>>>terrorist threat. Think of it as being more about PR than about
>>>counter-terrorism.
>>
>> In the USA, at least, I think that the worst thing terrorists
>> have done - second to killing people - is to cause us to put a
>> bunch of bureaucrats in the position of trying to look like they
>> are doing something.
>
>Um, yes - those polytics are destroying the constitution slowly but
>surely. America is becoming less democratic by the day.

You want small government, you want minimal (or zero) regulation of
commercial companies, you want unfettered capitalism, you want low
taxes. But at the first sign of anything going wrong, Americans want
to know what their government is doing about it.

You cannot have it both ways.

From: Peter on
"SneakyP" <noneyabidnezz(a)invalid.org> wrote in message
> "(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid> wrote in
>
>> Per Bruce:
>>>The "logic" behind the police action, if there is any, is concerned
>>>with being seen by the public to be doing something about the
>>>terrorist threat. Think of it as being more about PR than about
>>>counter-terrorism.
>>
>> In the USA, at least, I think that the worst thing terrorists
>> have done - second to killing people - is to cause us to put a
>> bunch of bureaucrats in the position of trying to look like they
>> are doing something.
>
> Um, yes - those polytics are destroying the constitution slowly but
> surely. America is becoming less democratic by the day.

Just where did you ever get the idea that were were ever a Jeffersonian
democracy? We are a republic, that provides protection for the rights of the
minority.

--
Peter

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Toad headed turtle
Next: Work as a photographer - question!