From: John McWilliams on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-06-24 16:52:09 -0700, alex slater <chatpoldie(a)gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Jun 24, 11:27 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On 2010-06-24 15:00:46 -0700, Poldie <pol...(a)gmail.com> said

>>> ...but were you armed with that badge of the photo-terrorist, the DSLR?
>>
>> Guilty, your honour. In my battle against democracy I was armed with
>> one 50mm prime and a highly dangerous 18-55 zoom on my EOS 400.

But were you 'armed' with tourist garb? Too many forms thereof, but
favorite is plaid Bermuda shorts with Madras shirt and baseball cap,
white socks and sandals.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Peter on

> I know that in NY there are issues regarding permits for photoshoots, and
> some amateurs with "professional appearing" equipment (you know tripods
> and stuff like that) have been comfronted, not for anti-terrorist
> activety, but permit check. That said, I understand the Port Authority
> Police are wary of people photographing the bridges, and in the subways.

I NYC there is a policy to make the City a haven for professional shoots.
Professional shoots require a permit, mainly for crowd control and revenue
purposes. It is no big deal to get one. In State parks the rule is similar,
but rarely enforced unless you are doing a major shoot. The permit purpose
is primarily for revenue generation. Photography is freely encouraged on
non-Port Authority bridges. Indeed two years ago I saw a couple being
married on the Brooklyn Bridge. The obligatory professional photographer was
present and the police were encouraging the public not to interfere with
stupid hand waving gestures. The couple was just a young couple with no
political connections, who just wanted to have their wedding at that
location. As to the Port Authority, they are a bunch of A-hole bureaucrats
who need to justify an inflated police budget. Friends of mine have freely
shot inside the subway system. Other friends have received permission to
shoot inside the bowels of Grand Central Station. (I would have liked to go
on that one, but I was out of town at the time.)

--
Peter

From: Peter on
> On 2010-06-24 17:52:26 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Thank you.
>>

>> I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.
>>
>> I'm comfortable that the Duck will back me up. Her body language is
>> clear. I wish you guys many happy years together.
>
> Agreed. From the family pix Tony has posted from time to time, I see
> nothing but a solid relationship.
> ...but that boy looks ready to do the rebellious thing.

As is normal for a teen.
As a teen, my younger daughter gave herself a buzz cut on half her head and
walked around wearing a designer skirt and combat boots. She wore Michael
Jackson gloves before he did. She grew out of that phase, though she has
retained her independence of thought and self confidence.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:11:29 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-06-24 17:52:26 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Thank you.
>>

>> I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.
>>
>> I'm comfortable that the Duck will back me up. Her body language is
>> clear. I wish you guys many happy years together.
>
>Agreed. From the family pix Tony has posted from time to time, I see
>nothing but a solid relationship.
>...but that boy looks ready to do the rebellious thing.

We flew from Florida direct to London and had a room pre-booked in the
Whitehall district. You know how it is with international flights:
you fly all night but don't sleep. My wife, daughter, and I crashed
in the room the day we arrived. Son, though, was to excited to sleep.

When we woke up a few hours later, son was gone. He had taken the
tube to the Virgin Record Store in Marble Arch. When he finally got
back to the hotel he admitted that he didn't know the hotel name or
address, or the name of the tube station where he boarded, but found
his way back by taking the same tube back and getting off where the
station looked familiar. He was quite indignant that we were upset.

He's now been to London four times; twice with us when the four of us
went, and twice on his own seeing an au pair that he had dated when
she was here. (That romance didn't last, but she's now back here in
Florida and married. She and her husband come to visit son and wife
occasionally.)

Daughter spent part of one summer in Germany on a university study
program. She was fortunate enough to have been able to go to Berlin
when the wall came down. Attending the Pink Floyd concert was the
main appeal, though.

Independent, self-sufficient kids.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: John McWilliams on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-06-24 18:40:10 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> said:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:

>> But were you 'armed' with tourist garb? Too many forms thereof, but
>> favorite is plaid Bermuda shorts with Madras shirt and baseball cap,
>> white socks and sandals.
>
> John, I have a seeking suspicion that you are filtering googlegroups,
> and as a result your thread attributes look as though you were
> responding to me rather than Alex Slater, who it seems is the owner of
> the EOS 400.

No, I don't filter them, but made a careless mistake in trimming,
whereas I should have replied off his post. Sorry!

jpmcw