From: Bruce on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 01:47:36 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>On 2010-06-25 01:22:22 -0700, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:43:08 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> I know that in NY there are issues regarding permits for photoshoots,
>>> and some amateurs with "professional appearing" equipment (you know
>>> tripods and stuff like that) have been comfronted, not for
>>> anti-terrorist activety, but permit check. That said, I understand the
>>> Port Authority Police are wary of people photographing the bridges, and
>>> in the subways.
>>>
>>> I believe there are posted restrictions on photography in Washington stations.

>>> My mother was English, as was my wife who was born in Cheltenham. I
>>> have English family in Croydon, Lyme-Regis, Torquay and Epping. There
>>> is also a Welsh branch of the family living in Swansea and Caerphilly.
>>> My father-in-law lived in Bath. and my sister-in-law lives in Wooburn.
>>>
>>> Growing up in the 50's with contact with some of those family members,
>>> I have been decidedly twisted by the Goons.
>>> ;-)
>>

>> Twisted by the Goons? Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all. I was
>> a little too young to appreciate them on the radio, and the television
>> version of the Goon Show (the Telegoons) involved puppetry and was
>> something of a flop. But I liked the cast members in later years as
>> their careers developed, mostly independently of each other.
>>
>> The show that formed my appreciation of comedy was Round the Horne,
>> another BBC radio show, written and presented by Kenneth Horne with a
>> small but dedicated cast. Are you familiar with it? I ask because I
>> think you might enjoy it, if you haven't already ...
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_the_Horne
>> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Round+the+Horne&aq=f
>
>Horne came along after I was infected by the Goons, and wasn't quite
>crazy enough for me, but filled a space in that different menu. I was
>addicted to the BBC World Service. Up at the strangest hours listening
>to The Goons, Horne, Take It From Here, Tony Hancock, and the non-goon
>Sellers & Milligan stuff.

I liked all of the above with the exception of Hancock. He left me
cold, but I've never been sure why.

>Most Americans never understood some of the Goon references in many of
>my adolescent quips. Even some I use now from time to time. Milligan
>was a genius.

Milligan was also a very nice man. I had the job of meeting him and
showing him around the Students' Union at University in the early
1970s. He arrived late, and we had a deadline to meet for him to open
a bookshop. As he stepped out of the taxi a fellow student was poised
to take his picture. The photographer panicked, and fumbled, nearly
dropping his Pentax Spotmatic.

Milligan patiently waited while the young man regained his composure
and made his composition, then struck a suitably amusing pose. He
spent a couple of minutes talking to the photographer, signed a model
release and asked for a copy of the photo, insisting he would pay what
was in those days quite a large sum of money for an 8 x 10 print. I
thought Milligan was an absolute gentleman and I was a devoted fan
right until the end. It was a privilege to meet him.

Here's a high point from late in his career:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_iLElHqv-w&NR=1&feature=fvwp

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:07:52 +1000, "Maroochy" <bharris*REMOVE
> THIS*@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:
>>

>>> It isn't Australian tourists who need to be deterred, and let's face
>>> it, any London policeman could spot an Australian tourist at 200
>>> metres, or they shouldn't be in the job. ;-)
>>
>>Yes, there I was wandering around London, wearing my slouch hat, with
>>corks
>>hanging off it, my T-shirt had "she'll be right Jack" emblazoned across
>>the
>>front, an Australian Flag was sticking out of my back pocket and as I
>>walked
>>around I was chanting "Aussie Aussie Aussie. Oi Oi Oi", damned if I know
>>how
>>they thought I was a tourist, let alone one from Australia.
>>
> To be really convincing, though, you would have to get into a dust-up
> with someone and claim to have lost it over one more joke about shrimp
> on the barbie.

But if you overdo it and claim you heard the joke last night, you will be
taken as a Brit.

--
Peter

From: Bowser on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:52:16 +0100, Paul Heslop
<paul.heslop(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Bowser wrote:
>
>> >"Amateur Photographer" should know all this, however the magazine is
>> >keen to be seen to supporting the freedom of photographers, especially
>> >in London, and articles like this - which are a knee-jerk reaction to
>> >something that they should already know - seem increasingly to be a
>> >regular feature of the magazine.
>>
>> the Brits are amazingly stupid. Do they really think stopping
>> photographers will stop terrorism? Now that the terrorists know this,
>> they'll do what, go somewhere else where you can shoot pics?
>>
>> Amazing...
>
>why do you say 'the brits'? I don't think I personally know of one
>person who thinks that people should be stopped photographing
>anywhere, except obviously rabid groups of morons who would try to
>hang you if you happen to have a camera within the same area as a
>child, even if it's your own.

I say "the brits" because I don't see this type of harrassment
anywhere else. At lease not in a "free and civilized" country. Is
there any other free western country where people are detained for
shooting pics in public places, like Trafalgar?
From: Bowser on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:48:52 +0200, Ofnuts <o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net>
wrote:

>On 24/06/2010 22:52, Paul Heslop wrote:
>> Bowser wrote:
>
>>> the Brits are amazingly stupid. Do they really think stopping
>>> photographers will stop terrorism? Now that the terrorists know this,
>>> they'll do what, go somewhere else where you can shoot pics?
>>>
>>> Amazing...
>>
>> why do you say 'the brits'?
>
>Maybe because Bowser falls victim of exactly the same kind of
>generalization that make others think that anyone with a camera in hand
>is a terrorist.

Right. That would make me a terrorist. Look, I get your point, but
like I said in my other reply, is there any other civilized western
country where this is happening? Seems to be a problem unique to the
island. Is that wrong? Are other countries detaining people if they
simply shoot pics in a public place? With a "pro" camera? I haven't
heard of any.
From: Bruce on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:02:48 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:

>Right. That would make me a terrorist. Look, I get your point, but
>like I said in my other reply, is there any other civilized western
>country where this is happening? Seems to be a problem unique to the
>island. Is that wrong? Are other countries detaining people if they
>simply shoot pics in a public place? With a "pro" camera? I haven't
>heard of any.

The USA? Friends of mine have had similar treatment in New York,
Washington and Chicago, as I explained earlier in the thread.

In the UK, outside London, and in the USA, outside those cities, the
problem seems not to exist. But those cities are known to be prime
targets for Islamic terrorists.