From: Fred on
Rod Speed wrote:
> annily wrote:
>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>> installed Windows 7 on it.
>>
>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
>> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
>> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
>> people had reported similar symptoms with that.
>>
>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
>> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
>> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem
>> too.
>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so
>> I began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem
>> with the new system.
>>
>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>
>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>
> It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the
> WD10EADS.
> It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and thats
> what is producing the pauses.

It may also be a power management compatability issue with the ASUS board.
Those green drives have something called InteliPark written into their
firmware.
Where the heads are withdrawn from the platter to reduce drag and therefore
reduce power consumption.

From: annily on
Rod Speed wrote:
> annily wrote:
>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>> installed Windows 7 on it.
>>
>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
>> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
>> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
>> people had reported similar symptoms with that.
>>
>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
>> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
>> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem
>> too.
>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so I
>> began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem
>> with the new system.
>>
>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>
>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>
> It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the WD10EADS.
>
> It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and thats what is producing the pauses.
>
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
>
>> Another interesting point is that the new Samsung drive does not show up under Disk Drives in Device Manager, despite
>> the fact that it shows in the BIOS and works fine. I've never seen that before.
>
> With which OS ? I certainly dont get that with my Samsungs.

Sorry, Windows 7.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: annily on
Rod Speed wrote:
> annily wrote:
>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>> installed Windows 7 on it.
>>
>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
>> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
>> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
>> people had reported similar symptoms with that.
>>
>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
>> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
>> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem
>> too.
>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so I
>> began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem
>> with the new system.
>>
>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>
>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>
> It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the WD10EADS.
>
> It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and thats what is producing the pauses.
>
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

I did run the WD diagnostic utility on it, and it didn't find anything
wrong. I think that showed the SMART figures (at least something I ran
did) and they were all within bounds.

From: annily on
Fred wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> annily wrote:
>>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>>> installed Windows 7 on it.
>>>
>>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
>>> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
>>> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
>>> people had reported similar symptoms with that.
>>>
>>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
>>> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
>>> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem
>>> too.
>>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so
>>> I began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem
>>> with the new system.
>>>
>>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>> It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the
>> WD10EADS.
>> It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and thats
>> what is producing the pauses.
>
> It may also be a power management compatability issue with the ASUS board.
> Those green drives have something called InteliPark written into their
> firmware.
> Where the heads are withdrawn from the platter to reduce drag and therefore
> reduce power consumption.

Interesting theory. That's my favorite so far. I've also seen comments
from people that the green dives are not that good for an OS due to
their basic 5400 rpm (allegedly rising to 7200 rpm when needed). It does
seem to me that Win 7 is a bit more repsonsive in general since
switching to the Samsung 7200 rpm, but that may be my imagination.

From: annily on
annily wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>> Rod Speed wrote:

>>> It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the
>>> WD10EADS.
>>> It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and thats
>>> what is producing the pauses.
>>
>> It may also be a power management compatability issue with the ASUS
>> board.
>> Those green drives have something called InteliPark written into their
>> firmware.
>> Where the heads are withdrawn from the platter to reduce drag and
>> therefore reduce power consumption.
>
> Interesting theory. That's my favorite so far. I've also seen comments
> from people that the green dives are not that good for an OS due to
> their basic 5400 rpm (allegedly rising to 7200 rpm when needed). It does
> seem to me that Win 7 is a bit more repsonsive in general since
> switching to the Samsung 7200 rpm, but that may be my imagination.

One thing I forgot to mention (because it doesn't seem relevant) is that
I also installed a GeForce 7100 GS video card at the same time as I
replaced the WD drive with the Samsung. Previously I was just using the
integrated graphics on the motherboard). I don't see any correlation
there, but thought I should mention it for the sake of completeness.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Win 7 Pro in USA
Next: Windows Live Hotmail Question