From: Rod Speed on
Fred wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> annily wrote

>>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>>> installed Windows 7 on it.

>>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
>>> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
>>> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
>>> people had reported similar symptoms with that.

>>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
>>> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
>>> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem too.
>>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so
>>> I began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem
>>> with the new system.

>>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.

>>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.

>> It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the WD10EADS.
>> It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and thats
>> what is producing the pauses.

> It may also be a power management compatability issue with the ASUS board.

I doubt it.

> Those green drives have something called InteliPark written into their firmware. Where the heads are withdrawn from
> the platter to reduce drag and therefore reduce power consumption.

That shouldnt produce anything like a 30 sec freeze with the hard drive led on solid.

From: Rod Speed on
annily wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> annily wrote:
>>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>>> installed Windows 7 on it.
>>>
>>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
>>> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
>>> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
>>> people had reported similar symptoms with that.
>>>
>>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
>>> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
>>> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem
>>> too.
>>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine,
>>> so I began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related
>>> problem with the new system.
>>>
>>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>>
>>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the
>> WD10EADS. It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and
>> thats what is producing the pauses. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
>>

> I did run the WD diagnostic utility on it, and it didn't find anything
> wrong. I think that showed the SMART figures (at least something I ran
> did) and they were all within bounds.

What matters is ANY pending sectors or reallocated sectors with a pause like that.

From: Gregory Shearman on
On 2009-12-03, annily <annily(a)ihopethisdoesntexist.com> wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
> installed Windows 7 on it.
>
> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds or
> more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on solid. I
> originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other people had
> reported similar symptoms with that.
>
> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had apparently
> worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to try Win XP on
> the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem too.
>
> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so I
> began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem with
> the new system.
>
> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>
> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>
> Another interesting point is that the new Samsung drive does not show up
> under Disk Drives in Device Manager, despite the fact that it shows in
> the BIOS and works fine. I've never seen that before.

I run the same Western Digital HDD. It's a SATA drive and I've had no
problems at all with it running under Linux. I've had the drive for
around 6 months now.

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power
From: annily on
Rod Speed wrote:
> annily wrote:
>> Rod Speed wrote:

>>> It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the
>>> WD10EADS. It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and
>>> thats what is producing the pauses. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
>>>
>> I did run the WD diagnostic utility on it, and it didn't find anything
>> wrong. I think that showed the SMART figures (at least something I ran
>> did) and they were all within bounds.
>
> What matters is ANY pending sectors or reallocated sectors with a pause like that.

I don't know what is meant by pending or re-allocated sectors.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: annily on
Gregory Shearman wrote:
> On 2009-12-03, annily <annily(a)ihopethisdoesntexist.com> wrote:
>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>> installed Windows 7 on it.
>>
>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds or
>> more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on solid. I
>> originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other people had
>> reported similar symptoms with that.
>>
>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had apparently
>> worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to try Win XP on
>> the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem too.
>>
>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so I
>> began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem with
>> the new system.
>>
>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>>
>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>>
>> Another interesting point is that the new Samsung drive does not show up
>> under Disk Drives in Device Manager, despite the fact that it shows in
>> the BIOS and works fine. I've never seen that before.
>
> I run the same Western Digital HDD. It's a SATA drive and I've had no
> problems at all with it running under Linux. I've had the drive for
> around 6 months now.

Good for you, but not particularly relevant to my problem with the drive
under two different versions of Windows and presumably different
hardware from yours. I certainly was not suggesting that the drive would
cause this symptom in all cases. I can only assume I have a fairly
unusual configuration.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Win 7 Pro in USA
Next: Windows Live Hotmail Question