From: Clocky on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> annily wrote
>> Gregory Shearman wrote
>>> annily <annily(a)ihopethisdoesntexist.com> wrote

>>> I run the same Western Digital HDD. It's a SATA drive and I've had no
>>> problems at all with it running under Linux. I've had the drive for
>>> around 6 months now.
>
>> Good for you, but not particularly relevant to my problem with the
>> drive under two different versions of Windows and presumably
>> different hardware from yours. I certainly was not suggesting that
>> the drive would cause this symptom in all cases. I can only assume I have
>> a fairly unusual configuration.
>
> Or you just have a dying drive and the Everest SMART report will prove if
> that is the case.

Not always. SMART isn't all that reliable.

From: annily on
Clocky wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> annily wrote
>>> Gregory Shearman wrote
>>> Good for you, but not particularly relevant to my problem with the
>>> drive under two different versions of Windows and presumably
>>> different hardware from yours. I certainly was not suggesting that
>>> the drive would cause this symptom in all cases. I can only assume I have
>>> a fairly unusual configuration.
>> Or you just have a dying drive and the Everest SMART report will prove if
>> that is the case.
>
> Not always. SMART isn't all that reliable.

Well, I've had a fun time today, NOT!

I haven't yet given the WD drive a good run with the latest BIOS, but I
thought I'd try to re-partition my Samsung using True Image from the
rescue disk, as suggested by Rod. I couldn't actually work out how to do
that without restoring something, so I restored my latest backup.

I did this to the latter part of the drive, which it managed by reducing
the size of the existing partition (which was the whole 500GB disk).
Unfortunately, after this, the existing partition, which had my current
Windows 7 OS on it, became unallocated space, so that OS was no longer
accessible. I was hoping it would leave this part of the drive untouched
(except for reducing it's size).

Anyhow, at least I got my two partitions on the drive, and the backup
image I restored was only a couple of days old, and I had other backups
for important files up to 22:00 last night, so I didn't lose much.

The interesting part was that, after the partitioning, the Samsung drive
now shows up in Windows Device Manager and Disk Management. God knows
why it didn't before, but the partitioning achieved the desired result.

To complicate matters, the problem I had the other day with the network
not working after installing the WD drive, decided to occur again.
Normal Windows troubleshooting, including resetting the network adapter
and trying different cables, had no effect.

Eventually, I decided to open up the case, and jiggle the connection of
the Ethernet socket to the motherboard. Lo and behold, it works again.

When I've had time to recover from all this, I'll probably try the WD
drive again. I should probably leave well enough alone, but I can't
resist the urge to fiddle with things.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: Rod Speed on
annily wrote
> Clocky wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>>> annily wrote

>>> Or you just have a dying drive and the Everest SMART report will prove if that is the case.

>> Not always.

Yes, always if its dying due to reallocated sectors or pending sectors.

> SMART isn't all that reliable.

Its completely reliable on those two stats.

> Well, I've had a fun time today, NOT!

> I haven't yet given the WD drive a good run with the latest BIOS,
> but I thought I'd try to re-partition my Samsung using True Image
> from the rescue disk, as suggested by Rod. I couldn't actually work
> out how to do that without restoring something,

Thats how you do it, should have said that explicitly. Acronis' Disk Director Suite
will do it without a restore, but you did ask for a freeware app that could do it,
thats why I mentioned TI which does have an older version thats freeware.

> so I restored my latest backup.

> I did this to the latter part of the drive, which it managed by reducing the size of the existing partition (which was
> the whole 500GB disk). Unfortunately, after this, the existing partition, which had my current Windows 7 OS on it,
> became unallocated space, so that OS was no longer accessible.

That shouldnt have happened. Most likely its some quirk of Win 7.

You should be able to fix that by repeating the restore with the new drive partitiioning.

> I was hoping it would leave this part of the drive untouched (except for reducing it's size).

Thats what it should have done.

> Anyhow, at least I got my two partitions on the drive, and the backup
> image I restored was only a couple of days old, and I had other
> backups for important files up to 22:00 last night, so I didn't lose much.

> The interesting part was that, after the partitioning, the Samsung drive now shows up in Windows Device Manager and
> Disk Management. God
> knows why it didn't before, but the partitioning achieved the desired result.

Bet its some quirk of Win7 again. It is after all very new.

> To complicate matters, the problem I had the other day with the
> network not working after installing the WD drive, decided to occur
> again. Normal Windows troubleshooting, including resetting the
> network adapter and trying different cables, had no effect.

> Eventually, I decided to open up the case, and jiggle the connection of the Ethernet socket to the motherboard. Lo and
> behold, it works again.

Yeah, I get that with the PVR, the connector isnt that solid.

> When I've had time to recover from all this, I'll probably try the WD drive again. I should probably leave well enough
> alone, but I can't resist the urge to fiddle with things.

Yeah, its the only way to really understand stuff.

From: Clocky on

> annily wrote
>> Clocky wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> Not always.
>
> Yes, always if its dying due to reallocated sectors or pending sectors.

Wrong.

From: annily on
Rod Speed wrote:
> annily wrote
>> Clocky wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote

>>> Not always.
>
> Yes, always if its dying due to reallocated sectors or pending sectors.
>
>> SMART isn't all that reliable.
>
> Its completely reliable on those two stats.
>
>> Well, I've had a fun time today, NOT!
>
>> I haven't yet given the WD drive a good run with the latest BIOS,
>> but I thought I'd try to re-partition my Samsung using True Image
>> from the rescue disk, as suggested by Rod. I couldn't actually work
>> out how to do that without restoring something,
>
> Thats how you do it, should have said that explicitly. Acronis' Disk Director Suite
> will do it without a restore, but you did ask for a freeware app that could do it,
> thats why I mentioned TI which does have an older version thats freeware.
>
>> so I restored my latest backup.
>
>> I did this to the latter part of the drive, which it managed by reducing the size of the existing partition (which was
>> the whole 500GB disk). Unfortunately, after this, the existing partition, which had my current Windows 7 OS on it,
>> became unallocated space, so that OS was no longer accessible.
>
> That shouldnt have happened. Most likely its some quirk of Win 7.
>
> You should be able to fix that by repeating the restore with the new drive partitiioning.

I was actually planning to do that (probably today) anyway, because for
some reason, after I restored the Win 7 system with TI, it was no longer
activated, despite being activated when the backup was taken. This may
have been a result of all the mucking around with boot records I had to
do yesterday to get a bootable system again.

>> I was hoping it would leave this part of the drive untouched (except for reducing it's size).
>
> Thats what it should have done.
>
>> Anyhow, at least I got my two partitions on the drive, and the backup
>> image I restored was only a couple of days old, and I had other
>> backups for important files up to 22:00 last night, so I didn't lose much.
>
>> The interesting part was that, after the partitioning, the Samsung drive now shows up in Windows Device Manager and
>> Disk Management. God
>> knows why it didn't before, but the partitioning achieved the desired result.
>
> Bet its some quirk of Win7 again. It is after all very new.
>
>> To complicate matters, the problem I had the other day with the
>> network not working after installing the WD drive, decided to occur
>> again. Normal Windows troubleshooting, including resetting the
>> network adapter and trying different cables, had no effect.
>
>> Eventually, I decided to open up the case, and jiggle the connection of the Ethernet socket to the motherboard. Lo and
>> behold, it works again.
>
> Yeah, I get that with the PVR, the connector isnt that solid.

Yeah, I'll know what to do if it happens again.

>> When I've had time to recover from all this, I'll probably try the WD drive again. I should probably leave well enough
>> alone, but I can't resist the urge to fiddle with things.
>
> Yeah, its the only way to really understand stuff.

Can be very frustrating though, when things don't work the way you expect.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Win 7 Pro in USA
Next: Windows Live Hotmail Question