From: annily on
A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
installed Windows 7 on it.

It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds or
more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on solid. I
originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other people had
reported similar symptoms with that.

After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had apparently
worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to try Win XP on
the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem too.

I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so I
began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem with
the new system.

So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
several hours running, the problem has not occurred.

The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.

Another interesting point is that the new Samsung drive does not show up
under Disk Drives in Device Manager, despite the fact that it shows in
the BIOS and works fine. I've never seen that before.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: Rob on
annily wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
> installed Windows 7 on it.
>
> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds or
> more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on solid. I
> originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other people had
> reported similar symptoms with that.
>
> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had apparently
> worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to try Win XP on
> the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem too.
>
> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so I
> began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem with
> the new system.
>
> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>
> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>
> Another interesting point is that the new Samsung drive does not show up
> under Disk Drives in Device Manager, despite the fact that it shows in
> the BIOS and works fine. I've never seen that before.

I would also run a memory test and check that.

Memtest 86 download and make a bootable cd to run it.
From: annily on
Rob wrote:
> annily wrote:
>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>> installed Windows 7 on it.
>>
>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
>> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
>> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
>> people had reported similar symptoms with that.
>>
>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
>> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
>> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem too.
>>
>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so I
>> began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem
>> with the new system.
>>
>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>>
>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>>
>> Another interesting point is that the new Samsung drive does not show
>> up under Disk Drives in Device Manager, despite the fact that it shows
>> in the BIOS and works fine. I've never seen that before.
>>

> I would also run a memory test and check that.
>
> Memtest 86 download and make a bootable cd to run it.

I forgot to mention that I did that, and it found no errors.

From: Rob on
annily wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> annily wrote:
>>> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
>>> installed Windows 7 on it.
>>>
>>> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
>>> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
>>> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
>>> people had reported similar symptoms with that.
>>>
>>> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
>>> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
>>> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem too.
>>>
>>> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so
>>> I began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem
>>> with the new system.
>>>
>>> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
>>> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.
>>>
>>> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.
>>>
>>> Another interesting point is that the new Samsung drive does not show
>>> up under Disk Drives in Device Manager, despite the fact that it
>>> shows in the BIOS and works fine. I've never seen that before.
>>>

>> I would also run a memory test and check that.
>>
>> Memtest 86 download and make a bootable cd to run it.
>
> I forgot to mention that I did that, and it found no errors.

One thing I found setting up a new HDD/PC the HDD is indexed which
slows the system down.

haven't seen a HDD stop for 30 sec except if a virus is present.
From: Rod Speed on
annily wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap PC, without operating system, and
> installed Windows 7 on it.
>
> It developed a problem where the system woould freeze for 30 seconds
> or more at seemingly random intervals, with the hard disk LED on
> solid. I originally thought it was a problem with Win 7, since other
> people had reported similar symptoms with that.
>
> After quite a bit of troubleshooting, trying things that had
> apparently worked for other people and getting nowhere, I decided to
> try Win XP on the same hardware. Lo and behold, it had the problem
> too.
> I then installed Win 7 on an older Dell system. This worked fine, so I
> began to suspect that it was some sort of hardware-related problem
> with the new system.
>
> So today, I replaced the WD drive with a Samsung HD502HJ, and after
> several hours running, the problem has not occurred.

> The WD drive is a WD10EADS. The motherboard is an Asus P5KPL-AM/PS.

It would be interesting to see the Everest SMART report on the WD10EADS.

It may just be retrying on errors and eventually succeeding and thats what is producing the pauses.

> Another interesting point is that the new Samsung drive does not show up under Disk Drives in Device Manager, despite
> the fact that it shows in the BIOS and works fine. I've never seen that before.

With which OS ? I certainly dont get that with my Samsungs.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Win 7 Pro in USA
Next: Windows Live Hotmail Question