From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Cal Rollins <anywhere(a)anyplace.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:12:28 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
> <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> spewed his ignorance thusly:

Gee, it's the LOL P&S troll, or it's twin.
Goodbye slime ...

PLONK

-Wolfgang
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <dj2eo5hocnp5o4ab97bnj91b15vq7j12mg(a)4ax.com>, R Davis
> <spamless(a)anon.com> wrote:

>> That's one of the nice things about Photoline. You can configure every last
>> command in that program to any short-cut key combo of your choice.

> same with photoshop.

Same with GIMP. In fact, you can teach GIMP everything you can
teach Photoshop or Photoline --- and also those things no user
could teach Photoline or Photoshop.

-Wolfgang
From: Ray Fischer on
Wolfgang Weisselberg <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote:
>nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> R Davis

>>> That's one of the nice things about Photoline. You can configure every last
>>> command in that program to any short-cut key combo of your choice.
>
>> same with photoshop.
>
>Same with GIMP. In fact, you can teach GIMP everything you can
>teach Photoshop or Photoline --- and also those things no user
>could teach Photoline or Photoshop.

Gee, I have development tools on my computer. I could develop a new
Photoshop!

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-23 05:52:34 -0700, Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com> said:

> I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
> after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding
> that I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be
> very rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a
> neophyte, I am considering purchasing a processing program. The
> majority of salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing
> that I am a neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are
> there any recommendations that may help me?

I take it that you are a Mac user (or you would not be considering
Aperture), so a lot of freeware like Picasa is out (as is most of the
advice you have been given so far). On the other hand, iPhoto is good
at managing workflow and basic editing.

I use Aperture, which has recently been upgraded to Aperture 3. The
upgrade process is buggy, but that should not bother you since you
would be starting from scratch. I like Lightroom and I consider it
slightly more capable than Aperture but saddled with an inferior
interface.

Aperture is really a shell program. You can do 99% of anything you can
do in Photoshop, including HDR, with the proper set of plugins. And you
can do it with far less fuss and bother. Hydra is a popular HDR plugin
that will handle up to 10 exposures. It is important when choosing
plugins that you make sure they will support Aperture 3's 64 bit
processing. Many plugins will not and they will cause Aperture to crash.

Whatever software you get, take a good look at Nik Software's plugins
for it. These will make your life a lot easier and give you control
that would require many layers in Photoshop to duplicate, if they could
be duplicated at all.

I would not bother with Photoshop Elements. If you need Photoshop, get
the full package and start talking to people like Kevin Kubota...

> Additionally, if in your comments, you can comment on how each program
> provides for HDR that would be appreciated, although from my reading,
> it does seem that there are other programs which will do that well.
> Also, can anyone recommend a basic book on HDR, low on technical
> aspects and easy on explanations, for a beginner?

There was an article in a recent issue of Outdoor Photography which
covered it very simply. HDR has a bad rep because it is either overdone
or applied inappropriately. Used wisely it can be a powerful tool. The
only way to learn HDR is with practice. The method is pretty simple:
take a few exposures of the same scene at different exposures and merge
them using your HDR software. The trick is in knowing what exposures to
take in the first place. If you have the time, take a whole bunch, then
choose a few to merge and see if you like the result.

> Any advice will be appreciated.

Some people have said that Lightroom and Aperture are not substitutes
for Photoshop. They aren't. However, they are far better than Photoshop
for editing your pictures: adjusting exposure (even in small areas),
retouching, color balance, sharpening, etc. Photoshop will allow you to
go beyond editing into manipulating your photos: distorting them to fit
spheres or masking them into unusual shapes such as words. However, if
all you want to do is make your pictures look better, use a real
editing program like Aperture, Lightroom, or Nikon Capture NX2 (which I
also use).

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: nospam on
In article
<2010030108264616807-christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmailcom>, C J
Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> I take it that you are a Mac user (or you would not be considering
> Aperture), so a lot of freeware like Picasa is out (as is most of the
> advice you have been given so far). On the other hand, iPhoto is good
> at managing workflow and basic editing.

there's a mac version of picasa and plenty of other software too.

> I would not bother with Photoshop Elements. If you need Photoshop, get
> the full package and start talking to people like Kevin Kubota...

he doesn't need the full photoshop.