From: Alan Lichtenstein on
I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte,
I am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
recommendations that may help me?

Additionally, if in your comments, you can comment on how each program
provides for HDR that would be appreciated, although from my reading, it
does seem that there are other programs which will do that well. Also,
can anyone recommend a basic book on HDR, low on technical aspects and
easy on explanations, for a beginner?

Any advice will be appreciated.
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com> wrote:
> I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
> after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
> I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
> rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte,
> I am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
> salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
> neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
> recommendations that may help me?

Salespeople will naturally recommend something to buy. But there's a
lot of good free software out there. Try Picasa for a start. Aimed at
beginners, and what it does it does very well.

> Additionally, if in your comments, you can comment on how each program
> provides for HDR that would be appreciated, although from my reading, it
> does seem that there are other programs which will do that well. Also,
> can anyone recommend a basic book on HDR, low on technical aspects and
> easy on explanations, for a beginner?

Stay out of HDR until you know what you can do without it with such
things as RAW "curves" tone mapping and dynamic range optimisation.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Chris H on
In message <4b83cff0$0$22519$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
<arl(a)erols.com> writes
>I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
>after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding
>that I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be
>very rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a
>neophyte, I am considering purchasing a processing program. The
>majority of salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing
>that I am a neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are
>there any recommendations that may help me?

Both of those programs are cataloguing programs with modules for
printing, generating web galleries etc and some developing. They are NOT
a replacement for Photoshop.

It does depends what you want to do. I use Lightroom (having looked
carefully at Aperture, iPhoto and several others about 18 months ago) on
a PPC Mac.

As Lightroom comes from Adobe it works very well with Photoshop and I
assume Photoshop elements. Also it is available on both Mac and PC.
Aperture was mac only when I looked.

For editing 99.9% of the pros use Photoshop as do the vast majority of
the serious amateurs. So there is more support and help for that than
any other program. BTW elements is good for most things and is
virtually free these days.

So I use Lightroom partly because it works well with Photoshop and there
because is a lot of support for Lightroom from professional down to
amateur.

Also I tend to shoot reportage, PR, news, etc where the developing in
Lightroom (WB, curves, colour and cropping is enough. I only need
Photoshop occasionally for "art" pictures.

I find lightroom easy to use and you only use the bits you are happy
with. I now use a lot more of it. there are also a lot of good books for
it as well as several forums and on line (free) video tutorials. Lots of
presets and ad in modules tool. I have never been stuck for help.

I don't think the same level of support is available for the free tools.

BTW if you use Lightroom always shoot in RAW. It does non destructive
editing.

Lightroom has a neat trick of prompting for a destination when
importing photos AND asking for a backup location as well (all good
catalogue programs should do this). I have an external hard drive and
now as a matter of course I import to the main library and a back up at
the same time. It pushes you into good habits. :-)

Another good thing it does is makes keywords easy. Another good habit to
get into! Again most cataloguing programs do this. It is also easy to
retro fit keywords in Lightroom.

Hope this helps.

From: Better Info on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:52:34 -0500, Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com>
wrote:

>I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
>after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
>I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
>rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte,
>I am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
>salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
>neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
>recommendations that may help me?
>
>Additionally, if in your comments, you can comment on how each program
>provides for HDR that would be appreciated, although from my reading, it
>does seem that there are other programs which will do that well. Also,
>can anyone recommend a basic book on HDR, low on technical aspects and
>easy on explanations, for a beginner?
>
>Any advice will be appreciated.

For a beginner photo-editor, I wouldn't suggest investing any money in any
software at this point. There is much freeware that is better than most
cost-ware these days. If you want to play with RAW files, then check out
"RAW Therapee". It has the latest advanced interpolation algorithms for the
last few years that still aren't even included in the very expensive
programs yet. Though you would probably do just as well by setting your
camera to its lowest contrast setting and tweaking your custom color
balance so as not to blow out any color channels. This way the full dynamic
range of your sensor should be represented in the JPG files and there'll be
no need to muck about in RAW data if you properly expose and color-balance
your images while taking them. (Like any decent photographer should already
know how to do.)

Any of the freeware image editors, GIMP (considered the free equal to
PhotoSlop in the right hands), IrfanView, FastStone Viewer (the latter has
some good but basic editing tools built in and supports nearly all RAW
formats), etc. will also accept all the freeware "plugins" that you can
find all over the net. With a collection of good plugins you can do almost
anything in the freeware programs as you can do in expensive programs.

If you eventually want to step up to the oft (wrongly) praised PhotoSlop,
you might want to take a look at Photoline instead. It does more and does
it better than PhotoSlop ever has. Its interface isn't as prettied-up, but
it's an amazing work-horse of precision and professional tools. Not for the
beginner, by any stretch of the imagination. Even people who have used
PhotoSlop get lost in all that Photoline can do. I've been using it for
over 10 years and I still haven't learned many of its multi-page layout,
complex texture, and animation editing features. One of its remarkable
features is the 100% lossless JPG editing feature. You can load, save,
reload, resave a JPG image as many times as you want, and it will only
change the pixels you edit in them, without ever introducing new JPG
compression artifacts. It will even edit 64-bit color-depth CMYK images. It
also offers 2 flavors of the Lanczos resampling algorithm for preserving
image details in all resizings and rotations. Overpriced bloatware
PhotoSlop still hasn't climbed out of the bicubic resampling dark-ages of
last century. Even freeware IrfanView offers a version of Lanczos
resampling algorithm for detail-preserving resizing and rotations for many
years. Use a bicubic algorithm for downsizings and rotations and you might
as well have bought a toy-store camera. The amount of detail resolution
lost from a simple downsize or rotation in PhotoSlop would be the same. One
other plus, Photoline also includes the same advanced interpolation
algorithms for RAW files as is in RAW Therapee and will open RAW image
formats that aren't even in existence yet. I've proved this to myself by
using versions of Photoline from 2-3 years ago to open this years newer RAW
file formats.

An interesting but little-known freeware editor is one that used to be
called LightBox v1.2. It might still might be found on the net on some
freeware servers. It works on the zone-system for advanced photographers.
There's even a one-click menu option to create a duplicate of itself for
sharing with others freely. It's since been bought out and renamed to
SageLight v3.0, no longer freeware. But if you can find the free LightBox
version it can do some pretty interesting things from a pro-editor point of
view. It's even a stand-alone single exe-file application so it can be used
as a portable editor right from your flash-drives or in-camera memory cards
running it right through the camera's USB connection. I always keep it
handy as an external application that can be called up from within my other
favorite editors because of its unique zone-system editing features, using
it from my main editors as if it's some advanced professional plugin.
(Worth mentioning that Photoline too can be used as a stand-alone
application running it right from memory cards or flash drives, by simply
creating a "UserSettings" sub-folder in its installation folder. No other
tweaks needed. This way you can carry a very powerful editor with you
everywhere you go with your camera. If you travel light then use any public
access computer and your camera as your full kit, from photo to darkroom,
all done from files stored right in your camera.)

For a beginner you might also look into earlier versions of PaintShopPro.
Buying them used, or even get them free from some places. V9 was the last
good version, but it was only an 8-bit editor for all its tools. Corel
bought out Jasc, and before they started to ruin much of its usefulness
they released a V10 that started to get lots of 16-bit color-depth support
for many of its tools. Then came along v11, X2, and X3, which are all an
abysmal mess of hard to install bloatware. Along with the questionable
"Protexis" service that it silently installs and is always running in the
background, that many define as nothing but devious spyware. These later
Corel versions constantly crashing or more often fail to run at all. I just
got through 15 hours of nightmares, and finally quit trying to install
version X3 of it. I was that curious to see if they fixed anything in it. I
still can't even get it to run to see if they fixed anything within the
program itself. After reading online reports of others all having similar
problems, the few that did get it to install found it had the same crashing
problems and major bugs as version X2. Leave it to Corel to buy up
excellent software and pay their inane programmers to trash it like they
did.

Though I do I keep a version of PaintShopPro 9 and 10 installed due to some
excellent tools it has that can't be found in any other program. Its
somewhat misnamed "chromatic aberration" tool being the finest filter I've
found anywhere for difficult sensor-blooming artifacts (not lateral nor
longitudinal CA) from difficult lighting situations and subjects. And its
"Manual Color Correction" tool (hidden on the toolbar editor list of "all
commands", archived-tools from earlier versions) can't be beat for shifting
a range of color-tones without making the rest of them ugly. It's capable
of making flesh-tones look like flesh-tones in some of the more difficult
lighting situations. Its "red-eye" correction tool also has options for
unique other-color reflections from animal flash-photography shots.
Something no other editor has. If you do a lot of pet or wildlife
photography it can rescue a good image for you without a lot of
hand-editing. If you have no decent external noise-removal filter, the one
in PaintShopPro does a pretty good job too with a little practice. As good
as some of the expensive ones after you've learned to use it well.

A couple other decent low-cost beginner's editors I sometimes recommend are
Serif PhotoPlus or PhotoImpact. There are others however.

For a condensed and somewhat thorough overview of many other editors I've
not mentioned, see this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_raster_graphics_editors

From: ray on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:52:34 -0500, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:

> I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
> after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
> I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
> rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte,
> I am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
> salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
> neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
> recommendations that may help me?

Why? I'd suggest you start with ufraw and GIMP (which are available as
free downloads). Find out what they will do. Learn basic manipulation
techniques. Put out money if, at some later date, you need or want to do
more than they conveniently do.