From: John A. on
On 23 Feb 2010 20:49:48 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:37:05 -0500, nospam wrote:
>
>> In article <82f59$4b843a35$546accd9$23370(a)cache80.multikabel.net>,
>> Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In which way do you find support for GIMP lacking?
>>
>> you said it yourself, no books, no support forums, no tutorials, etc.
>
>Beginning GIMP is a readily available BOOK as is Sam's 'Teach Yourself
>GIMP in 24 Hours' and a host of others, Grokking the Gimp is a nice
>online TUTORIAL - support forum - see www.gimptalk.com/forum - there are
>probably others.

Looks like there's a few books out there.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=gimp&x=16&y=17
From: nospam on
In article <f3bbb$4b843e1e$546accd9$17531(a)cache60.multikabel.net>,
Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:37:05 -0500, nospam wrote:
>
> >> In which way do you find support for GIMP lacking?
> >
> > you said it yourself, no books, no support forums, no tutorials, etc.
>
> Where did I say that, liar?

right here:

> Neither is PS Elements. If it was, there wouldn't be a need for all those
> books, support forums and tutorial videos.

from:

In article <2bc1b$4b84394c$546accd9$22352(a)cache80.multikabel.net>,

From: nospam on
In article <4b843d93$0$31286$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
<arl(a)erols.com> wrote:

> I would prefer a better asset management program than what I have. I
> also understand that both of these programs have a rudimentary ability
> to deal with HDR, which intrigues me, despite the fact that my learning
> curve at this time does not permit me take advantage of that. Perhaps
> someday.
>
> since in my case, the increased expense is not a problem, would you
> recommend either of those programs or elements? I would prefer not to
> purchase something only to have to make frequent upgrades. While I
> understand that upgrading is part of the process, if one could be
> eliminated early on, it would be preferable.
>
> Could I manage either of those programs in a learning curve?
>
> Your opinion.

you can think of lightroom and aperture (in particular) as iphoto on
steroids. for most people, lightroom and aperture are excellent
solutions, and do the important tasks. photoshop is great for fancy
retouching, editing, etc., i.e., more specialized tasks.

personally i prefer aperture because apple's support for supporting new
cameras is not as quick as adobe, but if your camera is already
supported, then that's not a big issue. also, lightroom integrates far
better with photoshop than aperture does, but if you don't have
photoshop that is also not a major issue. on the other hand, aperture
integrates better with other ilife apps. aperture 3 just came out and
lightroom 3 is due soon (there's a public beta but it doesn't have all
of the features the final version will).

there are free trials of all of these apps, so you can try them out and
see, however, there is a bit of a learning curve with all of them, so
it will take a little bit of effort to really get an idea of what they
can really do. there are a number of tutorial and demo videos to give
you an idea of what can be done.

i know that there are hdr plugins, but i don't do much hdr so i don't
have much info on that.
From: nospam on
In article <7uit57Fb4lU7(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
wrote:

> For the record, there is no 'lack of support' for GIMP. See, e.g.
> Grokking the Gimp - an online tutorial or Beginning GIMP - an outstanding
> beginners reference book - readily available.

wow, 2.

walk into any technical bookstore and there are dozens of photoshop
books. there are also photoshop classes, seminars, magazines, even a
photoshop trade show.
From: nospam on
In article <7uitbbFb4lU8(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
wrote:

> >> In which way do you find support for GIMP lacking?
> >
> > you said it yourself, no books, no support forums, no tutorials, etc.
>
> Beginning GIMP is a readily available BOOK as is Sam's 'Teach Yourself
> GIMP in 24 Hours' and a host of others, Grokking the Gimp is a nice
> online TUTORIAL - support forum - see www.gimptalk.com/forum - there are
> probably others.

now compare it to what's available for photoshop.