From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:06:45 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> > you said it yourself, no books, no support forums, no tutorials, etc.
>>
>> Where did I say that, liar?
>

> right here:

There, I DO NOT say that GIMP doesn't have books, support forums and/or
tutorials ("etc." ?) AT ALL.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:06:51 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> For the record, there is no 'lack of support' for GIMP. See, e.g.
>> Grokking the Gimp - an online tutorial or Beginning GIMP - an
>> outstanding beginners reference book - readily available.
>
> wow, 2.

Exempli gratia. Got any idea what that means?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: ray on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:06:52 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> > you said it yourself, no books, no support forums, no tutorials, etc.
>>
>> Beginning GIMP is a readily available BOOK as is Sam's 'Teach Yourself
>> GIMP in 24 Hours' and a host of others, Grokking the Gimp is a nice
>> online TUTORIAL - support forum - see www.gimptalk.com/forum - there
>> are probably others.
>
> now compare it to what's available for photoshop.

No need to. You claimed "no books, no support forums, no tutorials" - you
were wrong.
From: ray on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:06:51 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <7uit57Fb4lU7(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> For the record, there is no 'lack of support' for GIMP. See, e.g.
>> Grokking the Gimp - an online tutorial or Beginning GIMP - an
>> outstanding beginners reference book - readily available.
>
> wow, 2.
>
> walk into any technical bookstore and there are dozens of photoshop
> books. there are also photoshop classes, seminars, magazines, even a
> photoshop trade show.

Dozens of books - how many do you need? That is certainly not the only
GIMP book - just one I happened to list - gimptalk.com lists 10 - that's
hardly the only source.

Of course, I have observed that no one seems to be able to do anything
with PS until they've spent several hundred dollars for training - on top
of several hundred dollars for the software. It's your money - I value
mine more than that.
From: John A. on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:55:32 +0100, Robert Spanjaard
<spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:54:51 -0500, John A. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:30:37 +0000 (UTC), Ray
>> <vortren-newsx(a)yaxhoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>>>Try using the old-format name, PROGRA~1, instead of "Program Files". Or
>>>you could use SUBST to assign a drive letter to the Program Files
>>>folder.
>>
>> Tried the former, also the quote trick, but not the latter.
>>
>> If the update doesn't fix it I'll give it a shot, though lots of its
>> subdirectories also have spaces.
>>
>> (Ya know, they've had spaces in Windows file & directory names for over
>> a decade and a half now. You'd think folks would have a handle on that
>> by now.)
>
>Doesn't Windows have some kind of escape character to use spaces (and
>other special characters) in filenames?

Not that I can see.