From: Chris H on
In message <7uiaudFb4lU2(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
writes
>On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:52:34 -0500, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
>
>> I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
>> after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
>> I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
>> rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte,
>> I am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
>> salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
>> neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
>> recommendations that may help me?
>
>Why? I'd suggest you start with ufraw and GIMP (

Why? Neither do what Aperture or Lightroom do. Both do a lot of what
GIMP and Photoshop do but they are a very good catalogue program. I
rarely need Photoshop these days except for art photos.

In any event Photoshop Elements is a much better option than Gimp and
yes, I have used GIMP.It is on this PC. Photoshop Elements is given
away with many things these days and does not cost much if you have to
pay for it.

As the vast majority of people use photoshop (and about 99.99% of pro's)
So why go with something different that does less? At my local Camera
club they all use Photoshop. If you ask for help with GIMP you won't
get it.

From: Better Info on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:49:54 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:

>In message <7uiaudFb4lU2(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
>writes
>>On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:52:34 -0500, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
>>> after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
>>> I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
>>> rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte,
>>> I am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
>>> salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
>>> neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
>>> recommendations that may help me?
>>
>>Why? I'd suggest you start with ufraw and GIMP (
>
>Why? Neither do what Aperture or Lightroom do. Both do a lot of what
>GIMP and Photoshop do but they are a very good catalogue program. I
>rarely need Photoshop these days except for art photos.
>
>In any event Photoshop Elements is a much better option than Gimp and
>yes, I have used GIMP.It is on this PC. Photoshop Elements is given
>away with many things these days and does not cost much if you have to
>pay for it.
>
>As the vast majority of people use photoshop (and about 99.99% of pro's)
>So why go with something different that does less? At my local Camera
>club they all use Photoshop. If you ask for help with GIMP you won't
>get it.

I, for one of thousands of talented photographers and professionals, never
need any help with any editor I use. So I've no need for a lot of blind
sheep followers supporting their popular but less capable software.
Popularity is rarely a reason to choose anything in life, unless your deep
insecurities cause an overwhelming need to be one of the common sheeple
herd.

Either that, or you're only trying to justify all the money you wasted.
Which is it? Even your invented and inflated statistics are very telling to
the depths of your insecurities.

From: Bruce on
On 23 Feb 2010 15:35:41 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:52:34 -0500, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
>
>> I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
>> after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
>> I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
>> rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte,
>> I am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
>> salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
>> neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
>> recommendations that may help me?
>
>Why? I'd suggest you start with ufraw and GIMP (which are available as
>free downloads). Find out what they will do. Learn basic manipulation
>techniques. Put out money if, at some later date, you need or want to do
>more than they conveniently do.

That's excellent advice. Far too many people spend $$$ on Photoshop
CS3 or CS4 and end up with a hugely complex piece of software that
they don't need. GIMP is a powerful package and a great way to learn
post-processing.

When the OP is ready to consider purchasing a commercial package, I
would recommend Photoshop Elements over the CS versions. Elements has
everything a keen photographer needs without the very high price and
needless complication of Creative Suite.

From: Ofnuts on
On 23/02/2010 13:52, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
> I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
> after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
> I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
> rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte, I
> am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
> salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
> neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
> recommendations that may help me?
>
> Additionally, if in your comments, you can comment on how each program
> provides for HDR that would be appreciated, although from my reading, it
> does seem that there are other programs which will do that well. Also,
> can anyone recommend a basic book on HDR, low on technical aspects and
> easy on explanations, for a beginner?
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.

Start with whatever is on the CD that came with your camera (DPP for
Canon, Capture (I think) for Nikon...)(check for available free updates
on the manufacturer's site). Not such bad software in general, and
you'll find things that other software won't do (because they can take
advantage of the proprietary exifs).

If you want to go beyond that:

For cataloging, Google's Picasa is fairly nice (and supports the RAW types).

For processing, Gimp is quite powerful, but not as comfortable/easy as
PS since it somehow makes it mandatory to understand what you are doing.

--
Bertrand
From: John McWilliams on
Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
> I'm a neophyte as far as digital photography is concerned, however,
> after having purchased my dSLR three years ago and finally deciding that
> I ought to learn how to use it, realized that photography can be very
> rewarding and interesting. Keeping in mind that I am still a neophyte,
> I am considering purchasing a processing program. The majority of
> salespeople in the camera store that I deal with, knowing that I am a
> neophyte, recommended either Lightroom or Aperature. Are there any
> recommendations that may help me?
>
> Additionally, if in your comments, you can comment on how each program
> provides for HDR that would be appreciated, although from my reading, it
> does seem that there are other programs which will do that well. Also,
> can anyone recommend a basic book on HDR, low on technical aspects and
> easy on explanations, for a beginner?
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.

I'd just get Photoshop Elements. Quicker to learn than most, and will
give you several legs up should you later decide you want to use
Lightroom and/or Photoshop. And all three are cross platform, which
Aperture is not.

--
john mcwilliams