From: Alan Lichtenstein on
nospam wrote:
> In article <4b8430f1$0$22546$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
> <arl(a)erols.com> wrote:
>

>>I have iPhoto on my computer, and it does OK, but I'm looking for
>>something that does a bit more processing than what I already have.
>

> what do you want to do that you find it limiting?

I was hoping for a between white balance adjustment as well as something
that would permit me to edit individual colors rather than the entire
photograph. Also, something that had someHDR merge capabilities, in a
limited way. Although I am not competent in that, I would like to begin
experimenting.

>>Based on the discussion so far, I feel that something like GIMP may not
>>be good for me, based on my needs and the lack of support. But I thank
>>everyone who recommended it anyway. I don't mind spending a few
>>dollars, although Photoshop CS3 or 4 IS a bit much right now.
>

> you don't need the full photoshop. photoshop elements is around $50.

You would not recommend, lightroom or aperture? They're a bit more
expensive, but is it worth the difference at this point?
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:01:25 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:

>>> If you insist on a pissing contest: two people suggest PSE (you and
>>> John), four people suggest GIMP (Better Info, ray, Bruce and Ofnuts).
>>> I'd suggest GIMP too, so that's five.
>>
>> here's another one for photoshop elements.
>
> And only one suggesting da Gimp is a real person. The rest are anonymous
> handles, some of which shift daily.

Really? Which ones are the 'anonymous handles', and which ones (plural!)
shift daily?

How does one need to post to be a 'real person' in your book?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-02-23 11:46:07 -0800, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> said:

> In article <7fa31$4b842cbc$546accd9$28672(a)cache70.multikabel.net>,
> Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>
>> If you insist on a pissing contest: two people suggest PSE (you and John),
>> four people suggest GIMP (Better Info, ray, Bruce and Ofnuts). I'd suggest
>> GIMP too, so that's five.
>
> here's another one for photoshop elements.
>
>> Now take your religion somewhere else.
>
> it's not religion. photoshop is vastly better than gimp. period. anyone
> who thinks that the gimp is in any way comparable to photoshop does not
> know what photoshop can do. not only is the gimp substantially slower
> on the same hardware but it lacks key features, such as adjustment
> layers and smart objects, just for starters.
>
> the main difference is that the gimp is free, but photoshop elements is
> often bundled for free with various products, so even that is moot.

Oh well, for what it's worth, here is my vote for PS Elements.

The OP is a novice. He is exactly the type of photographer Elements is
intended for. GIMP is without question a powerful editor, but has a
less than intuitive user interface. GIMP is not without issues.

Picasa is not too bad, but it is another Google app. requiring you to
buy into the new "Dark Empire" that Google is fast becoming.

It also seems the OP has been influenced by the idea of HDR somewhere
along the way, and may need to get a better understanding of that
further up the learning curve.
For HDR he is going to be better served with third party software.

Lightroom could be a reasonable solution for him, if he wants to spend
that sort of money. It integrates well with any other editor, including
PS Elements, CS3/4, or any other you might choose, if they are needed.
For HDR with Lightroom, the Photomatix Pro plugin does a good job.

So, my suggestion is to go with the camera proprietary packaged
software, try GIMP, and if you can deal with it great. Otherwise skip
CS4 for now, and get a copy of Photoshop Elements, it will do all you
need without the headaches.

As you advance consider Lightroom to integrate with Elements.
....and if you want to explore HDR go to one of the third party
programs, possibly Photomatix Pro to use as a stand alone or with LR.

Then if after all that you find yourself hooked and want some of what
CS4 has to offer, there is an upgrade path from PS Elements.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: nospam on
In article <4b843709$0$22523$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
<arl(a)erols.com> wrote:

> You would not recommend, lightroom or aperture? They're a bit more
> expensive, but is it worth the difference at this point?

that depends what you need to do. lightroom & aperture combine asset
management with most of the adjustments people need to do, as well as
generate web sites, books, etc. while photoshop can do pretty much any
image editing you could ever want, but not so much on the other
features.
From: nospam on
In article <hm1c6l$2g0$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> And only one suggesting da Gimp is a real person. The rest are anonymous
> handles, some of which shift daily.

true.