From: John A. on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:06:45 -0500, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <f3bbb$4b843e1e$546accd9$17531(a)cache60.multikabel.net>,
>Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

>> > you said it yourself, no books, no support forums, no tutorials, etc.
>>
>> Where did I say that, liar?
>

>right here:
>
>> Neither is PS Elements. If it was, there wouldn't be a need for all those
>> books, support forums and tutorial videos.

Hmmmm... nope. All he says is that there are lots of books etc. for
PSE. In fact, that quote doen't even imply any differences at all
between PSE and GIMP.

>from:
>
>In article <2bc1b$4b84394c$546accd9$22352(a)cache80.multikabel.net>,
>Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:19:48 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>>
>> > Oh well, for what it's worth, here is my vote for PS Elements.
>> >
>> > The OP is a novice. He is exactly the type of photographer Elements is
>> > intended for. GIMP is without question a powerful editor, but has a less
>> > than intuitive user interface. GIMP is not without issues.
>>
>> Neither is PS Elements. If it was, there wouldn't be a need for all those
>> books, support forums and tutorial videos.
>>
>> This is my last response on this matter. You may feel the need to advocate
>> a piece of software like you're _getting_ paid for it, I don't.

Nope. Nothing implied there in the way of differences either.
From: John A. on
On 23 Feb 2010 21:18:10 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:06:52 -0500, nospam wrote:

>>> Beginning GIMP is a readily available BOOK as is Sam's 'Teach Yourself
>>> GIMP in 24 Hours' and a host of others, Grokking the Gimp is a nice
>>> online TUTORIAL - support forum - see www.gimptalk.com/forum - there
>>> are probably others.
>>
>> now compare it to what's available for photoshop.
>
>No need to. You claimed "no books, no support forums, no tutorials" - you
>were wrong.

Sort of; he actually misinterpreted another post as claiming that.
From: nospam on
In article <63358$4b84441c$546accd9$26261(a)cache50.multikabel.net>,
Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:

> There, I DO NOT say that GIMP doesn't have books, support forums and/or
> tutorials ("etc." ?) AT ALL.

that's nothing more than semantic games. when someone says 'there is no
xyz' or 'nobody uses abc' they don't mean exactly zero they mean close
enough to zero to be considered zero. it's lost in the noise.

the fact remains that there are orders of magnitude more resources for
photoshop than for the gimp.
From: nospam on
In article <7uiv0iFb4lU9(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
wrote:

> No need to. You claimed "no books, no support forums, no tutorials" - you
> were wrong.

that's just semantic games. you know damned well it's a colloquial
phrase and doesn't mean absolutely none whatsoever.
From: nospam on
In article <7uiv6dFb4lU10(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
wrote:

> Dozens of books - how many do you need?

it depends. they aren't all exactly the same. some are specific
techniques, others are more general. some are on colour management,
while others are on retouching and compositing. having a wide choice of
resources is good.

> That is certainly not the only
> GIMP book - just one I happened to list - gimptalk.com lists 10 - that's
> hardly the only source.

wow, up to ten now?

how about an actual photoshop conference with nearly 100 sessions?

<http://www.photoshopworld.com/>

let me know when the gimpworld conference is. that ought to be an
amusing event, especially if attendance breaks two digits.

> Of course, I have observed that no one seems to be able to do anything
> with PS until they've spent several hundred dollars for training - on top
> of several hundred dollars for the software. It's your money - I value
> mine more than that.

absolute nonsense. there is no requirement to spend anything to use
photoshop. it's not that hard to use, certainly easier than the gimp,
and photoshop elements (which does way more than the gimp) doesn't cost
several hundred dollars either.