From: ray on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:40:14 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <7uiv0iFb4lU9(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> No need to. You claimed "no books, no support forums, no tutorials" -
>> you were wrong.
>
> that's just semantic games. you know damned well it's a colloquial
> phrase and doesn't mean absolutely none whatsoever.

Great - I'll remember that what you say doesn't mean what you say.
From: nospam on
In article <7uj0d4Fb4lU11(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
wrote:

> Great - I'll remember that what you say doesn't mean what you say.

and i'll remember that you don't understand english.
From: Paul Furman on
John McWilliams wrote:
> Chris H wrote:
>> Paul Furmawrites
>
>>> Fine art prints & geeky tinkering is better done in photoshop
>>> (elements is fine).
>>
>> Agreed. You can't do it in Lightroom
>
> What can't you do in Lightroom for fine art prints? Please don't mention
> softproofing, which a few feel is necessary.
> For that matter, how do you find geeky tinkering? Such as what?

Some of the adjustments are lame. They get you in the ballpark but don't
hold up on fine inspection. Highlight recovery, fill light and negative
contrast adjustments can make freaky halos in oof transition areas like
a bad HDR. There are clone and adjustment brush tools but the clone just
does dots, you can't do more than a few spots with it. The adjustment
brush is OK but not as good as real layer masks. Sharpening is often
best done on a duplicate layer so you can mask out noisy backgrounds or
just show critical edges. Lightroom's curves are kind of limited, there
isn't a levels tool exactly. Tricks like replace color don't exist and
I'm not so sure the raw conversion is all that great. Cropping has some
neat auto stuff but there's no way to do a tilt that requires cloning in
a corner outside the frame, it'll make the whole thing smaller.
Lightroom is great for culling, sorting, annotating, adjusting &
cropping big sets quickly. You can copy & paste or synchronize any
select set of adjustments & metadata with ease. I haven't figured out
how to use it for searching my archives but that should be a strong point.

Here's an example of Nikon Capture NX2 exceeding Lightroom by leaps &
bounds for raw conversion & CA correction:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4381955319/sizes/o/
explanation: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/4381955319/
From: ray on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:45:42 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <7uj0d4Fb4lU11(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Great - I'll remember that what you say doesn't mean what you say.
>
> and i'll remember that you don't understand english.

I understand quite well, and I generally expect people to say what they
mean.
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:40:01 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <63358$4b84441c$546accd9$26261(a)cache50.multikabel.net>,
> Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>
>> There, I DO NOT say that GIMP doesn't have books, support forums and/or
>> tutorials ("etc." ?) AT ALL.
>
> that's nothing more than semantic games.

No way.

> when someone says 'there is no
> xyz' or 'nobody uses abc' they don't mean exactly zero they mean close
> enough to zero to be considered zero. it's lost in the noise.

Which has NOTHING to do with your lies.

> the fact remains that there are orders of magnitude more resources for
> photoshop than for the gimp.

Whatever. After your posts of the last couple of hours, I certainly won't
point to you for facts.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com