From: Ofnuts on
On 23/02/2010 21:19, Savageduck wrote:
> Picasa is not too bad, but it is another Google app. requiring you to
> buy into the new "Dark Empire" that Google is fast becoming.

I avoid just as much as you do to give too much of my private life to
Google (hence the handle :-)). However, in the case of Picasa, things
aren't too bad because 1) nothing forces you to store your pictures on
Google's systems por even be connected when you use it, and 2) it's not
burying information into proprietary files. The day I don't want to
continue with Picasa, I just remove it from my computer and use another
software on the same directory tree.

The "free" PS Elements found in camera CDs is a way for Adobe to prepare
future paying PS customers by preventing them to look at cheaper or free
alternatives.

--
Bertrand
From: nospam on
In article <4b84e946$0$26636$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>, Ofnuts
<o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:

> The "free" PS Elements found in camera CDs is a way for Adobe to prepare
> future paying PS customers by preventing them to look at cheaper or free
> alternatives.

nonsense. it doesn't prevent anything.
From: Chris H on
In message <240220100408385503%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> writes
>In article <4b84e946$0$26636$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>, Ofnuts
><o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net> wrote:
>
>> The "free" PS Elements found in camera CDs is a way for Adobe to prepare
>> future paying PS customers by preventing them to look at cheaper or free
>> alternatives.
>
>nonsense. it doesn't prevent anything.

Yes it does stupid! A free copy of PS Elements stops them looking at
cheaper options...

From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <7ujpt3Fb4lU17(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:

>> Great. What's even better than "$50 if he likes it"? How about FREE if he
>> likes it.

> some things aren't worth free.

And some free things are better than anything you can buy. But at
least if you paid a lot of money there will be someone paid to listen
to your complaints and try and make you happier about your purchase.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Alan Lichtenstein on
Chris H wrote:

> In message <4b8430f1$0$22546$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
> <arl(a)erols.com> writes
>
>>I have iPhoto on my computer, and it does OK, but I'm looking for
>>something that does a bit more processing than what I already have.
>

> OK...iPhoto is OK as a catalogue. Though I never really got on with it.
> Try elements. The full Photoshop is expensive and probalby too complex
> for what you need.
>
> However I am not sure Lightroom or Aperture will be what you want. You
> can eval versions of both. I did and went for Lightroom
>
> BTW do you use a MAC or a PC?

I own a Mac.

>> My skill level requires me to either have someone to show it to me,
>>or a book to make reference to.
>

> Then go with elements as there are PLENTY of free tutorial videos. Most
> of the photo magazines have tutorials on the cover CD. You wont get
> that for GIMP

From the majority of responses, it appears that most would recommend
Elements plus Lightroom with Photomatix for HDR eventually.

>>My camera store doesn't sell software( would you believe it ),
>

> Yes.
>

>>so the advice I get from the people there is personal, without a
>>profit motive. Also, although I'm looking to upgrade my camera now,
>>the one they sold me three years ago, when I knew absolutely nothing
>>about digital photography was indeed the correct one, in consideration
>>of what I told them at the time. So I trust the people there. And
>>they'll be competitive with price.
>

> What have you got now and what are you looking for?

I currently have iPhoto and it's adequate for minimal editing. I would
like to learn to do some more advanced editing, and eventually move into
HDR when my knowledge and skills improve. So I'm looking for a program
that I can grow with, considering where I am now and where I want to be,
while I understand that I'm not purchasing a program 'forever.' I just
don't want to have to upgrade very frequently because I've outgrown
something rapidly. With that in mind, I don't mind spending a bit more
for something that is a little over my head now, but I can comfortably
grow into, understanding that I'm going to outgrow it eventually. I had
heard that one could do some HDR with Lightroom and Aperature. I also
intend to take loads of pictures, so I need a better library program
than iPhoto offers. I also intend to purchase an external hard drive
for storage.

My skill level is best described as low. It's evident to me that
everyone here has knowledge skills and understandings that are head and
shoulders above me. I feel that the advice I get by those whose skill
level is far superior would be good, because they can understand where I
am no, because they were once there as well. But I am intrigued with
what I can do with a digital camera and a digital darkroom. After all,
it's a lot cheaper than film, and perhaps that's why I'm now willing to
address the learning curve. After all, processing on my computer is a
lot easier than setting up a darkroom for film.