From: nospam on
In article <7ulekfF4npU1(a)mid.individual.net>, OG
<owen(a)gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote:

> As an afterthought, if you think you might be interested in producing
> panoramas, Microsoft has a very effective program called ICE, Image
> Composite Editor that has a very straightforward interface and works very
> well as an introductory program.

except that he said he has a mac so it won't be of much use, not to
mention that photoshop can do panoramas as can numerous other apps on
the mac.
From: OG on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <7ulekfF4npU1(a)mid.individual.net>, OG
> <owen(a)gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> As an afterthought, if you think you might be interested in producing
>> panoramas, Microsoft has a very effective program called ICE, Image
>> Composite Editor that has a very straightforward interface and works very
>> well as an introductory program.
>
> except that he said he has a mac so it won't be of much use, not to
> mention that photoshop can do panoramas as can numerous other apps on
> the mac.

Did he - I didn' read the whole thread.

Somebody may appreciate the information.

From: Alan Lichtenstein on
Chris H wrote:

> In message <4b858182$0$22510$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
> <arl(a)erols.com> writes
>
>>Savageduck wrote:
>>Thank you for your response. However, I think my decision has already
>>been made for me. After perusing the posts this morning, I went to my
>>local Apple store to simply make a few technical inquires regarding
>>Aperture. In the course of those inquiries, I discovered that I cannot
>>use the most recent version of Aperture, as Apple is no longer
>>supporting pre-intel hardware. Aperature 3 requires the intel-based
>>Mac. Having purchased a pre-intel Power Mac G5, not more than two
>>years before the change from Motorola chips to Intel chips, what I was
>>told was that my machine is now obsolete.
>

> I have the same problem with a PPC G5 Mac.
> V2* of Lightroom supports PPC MAC V3 will not. So get hold of a copy of
> Lightroom V2 before the V3 is released. Though Adobe has released an
> upgrade to V2 whilst the Beta V3 has been available.

Interesting. I have no desire to purchase old software which cannot be
upgraded, or even use subsequent versions. Given that, it looks like
I'm going to have to purchase new computer sooner than I expected.

>>Since I do not plan on purchasing a new computer in the near future,
>>that restricts my choices. While I do have a newer MacBook with the
>>new Intel chip, I didn't plan on making that my stand alone computer.
>>So it looks like I'll go with Lightroom, as a better alternative to
>>iPhoto, which is what I wanted. By the time I become somewhat
>>proficient, both in taking photographs as well as becoming somewhat
>>competent with editing, unless Apple comes out with a blockbuster
>>program, I'll probably be using the Adobe software.
>

> I think you will stay with Lightroom. Remember it is a cataloguing
> program first and foremost. As you get more proficient at taking and
> editing pictures you will still need Lightroom to control your photos.
> I have over 9,000 images in mine and I intend to scan in the slides and
> negatives from past decades as I get the chance (got a good slide
> scanner)

I appreciate what you say, but I'll always be stuck with Lightroom 2
with likely no further updates. Given that, it looks like I'm going to
have to purchase a new computer sooner than I anticipated. I ran into
the same problem with Mac OS 10.6, which is not available for pre-Intel
machines. If third party software is not going to be compatible with
Mac operating systems before 10.6, then I may need to purchase a new
machine.

> When you want to do more you will find PSE and PS a natural fit for more
> extensive editing and Lightroom will of course catalogue the PSD files
> as well as the RAW images.
>
> The most important thing to do is get a large FireWire external disk or
> NAS storage box. Then when you import to Lightroom It will give you the
> option of backing up. Get in to this habit. Then you will always have a
> back up of the images and the catalogue.

I had already assumed I would need that.

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-02-24 12:47:28 -0800, Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com> said:

> [...]
> have to purchase a new computer sooner than I anticipated. I ran into
> the same problem with Mac OS 10.6, which is not available for pre-Intel
> machines. If third party software is not going to be compatible with
> Mac operating systems before 10.6, then I may need to purchase a new
> machine.
>
>> When you want to do more you will find PSE and PS a natural fit for more
>> extensive editing and Lightroom will of course catalogue the PSD files
>> as well as the RAW images.
>>
>> The most important thing to do is get a large FireWire external disk or
>> NAS storage box. Then when you import to Lightroom It will give you the
>> option of backing up. Get in to this habit. Then you will always have a
>> back up of the images and the catalogue.
>
> I had already assumed I would need that.
>
>> Also start keyboarding as you go. It's worth it.

Just remember LR2 is current, LR3 is still in Beta, and LR2 will do
just fine for some time.

The PPC Mac is going to lose full support in the near future. A move to
an Intel Mac might not be a bad idea. I currently do most of my work on
a MacBook Pro, but I also have a G4 iMac (the goose neck), & a
PowerBook G4.
There is a tangible performance difference between the Intel machine
and the G4 & G5 PPC machines. You will be happy.

....and if you are going to spring for LR2, you might as well add PS
Elements 8 to the shopping list.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:35:40 -0600, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>> Nothing. I did that (tried GIMP) and as others have said: a complete
>> waste of time. I am surprised that anyone is still suggesting it as a
>> credible option.
>>

>I tried it a couple of times, but (if it hasn't been improved) it seemed
>that the creator had set out to make it as non-intuitive as possible.
>Allen

I have yet to see/use an intuitive software program. Something that
is intuitive is something that anticipates what you want to do and
directs you to or takes you to the next step. Image processing
software doesn't do that.

You open a file and the image just sits there until you tell the
program what to do. The program doesn't sense that you want to
lighten the image, increase the contrast, crop it, re-size it, or
anything else. Whatever your next step is, it will be a series of
steps, and you will have to decide what those steps will be.

Adobe's Elements, and Adobe's Lightroom, have a feature that - while
it isn't intuitive - at least makes it easy for the new user to learn
what steps are required to improve an image: a visible adjustment
panel with sliders. (In Quick Fix mode in Elements and Develop mode
in Lightroom) The new user can fiddle around with the sliders and see
the effect of each slider on the image. There's a "reset" button in
each that returns the image to the original state if the slider
adjustments made hurt, rather than help, the image.

Elements also has "Auto" clicks that generally are sufficient for most
routine editing. The user will generally find that the "Auto" clicks,
and some tweaking with the Levels sliders, is enough with a properly
taken photograph. The "Auto" clicks are the only thing that might be
called "intuitive".

The above doesn't cover image manipulation (changing something in the
photo), but this is done with tools like the Healing Brush and the
Clone Stamp Tool and this can be learned following on-line tutorials.

If the OP purchases Lightroom, the OP will find that a book is going
be required. Not just useful...required. Software doesn't come with
manuals or instruction books anymore. The OP will find he'll need to
purchase either one of Scott Kelby's books or one of Martin Evening's
books. (Which to buy will spur yet another debate in the newsgroup
because some like Kelby's style and some like Evening's style)

The OP will then find that the cost of a book - $40 to $45 new - is as
much as the Elements program itself.

A book isn't really required with Elements. Working along with the
Quick Fix sliders, and then moving into the Full Edit mode with what
has been learned fiddling around with the sliders in Quick Fix, should
get most people by. Some look-ups on on-line tutorials will be
helpful.

The ideal entry system, in my opinion, is purchasing Elements for
editing and Lightroom for image keywording/storage/retrieval. The
Lightroom Develop module (which is their editing module) is sufficient
as a stand-alone for the editing function, but it's a steep learning
curve.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida