From: David J Taylor on
> I tried it [GIMP] a couple of times, but (if it hasn't been improved) it
> seemed that the creator had set out to make it as non-intuitive as
> possible.
> Allen

Same impression here.

David

From: SMS on
Alan Lichtenstein wrote:

> Based on the discussion so far, I feel that something like GIMP may not
> be good for me, based on my needs and the lack of support. But I thank
> everyone who recommended it anyway. I don't mind spending a few
> dollars, although Photoshop CS3 or 4 IS a bit much right now.

Your best bet for now is Photoshop Elements. As others have pointed out,
you can often get it at no charge because it is bundled with various
hardware, but even buying it it's less than $85 for the Mac version (the
PC version is less, often available for $50).

For about $80 you can purchase Photoline for Mac
("http://www.pl32.com/"). It lacks some features of Photoshop (though it
also has some features that are lacking in Photoshop), and the user
interface is not wonderful, but it's cheap and powerful. With each new
version more of the user interface issues that users have complained
about are corrected. Some of the documentation is lacking, especially in
terms of the English, as the authors are German. My favorite line in the
release notes for 15.50 is where they explain that: "The Histogram
Correction dialog is now arranged clearlier." It may not be the best
program for a beginner in terms of usability, but it's not terribly hard
to figure out how to do things either.

OTOH, Photoshop is part of an integrated system with far more third
party support, much of which extends to Elements. One big plus is that
if you ever need any assistance doing something esoteric on Photoshop,
or Elements it's easy to find answers. Not so easy on Photoline, where
often you'll find you can do the same task that you can do in Photoshop,
but that it's non-intuitive, and since it's a relatively unknown program
outside Germany or the EU, help in English is especially hard to come by.

From: David J Taylor on
"ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
[]
> Strangely enough, that has been me experience, as well. I've used GIMP
> more than photoshop and I find photoshop to be less 'intuitive' - as has
> been pointed out - 'intuitive' is colored highly by your experience.

"Intuitive" is also a function of the operating system and its
conventions - one reason why Windows programs ported to the Mac and
vice-versa can be more difficult for a user well-versed and familiar with
the accepted conventions and keystrokes for the native OS.

I've used many editing programs, both on my own PC and when helping
others, and GIMP rates bottom in those I've used. I haven't used
Photoshop enough to comment on it one way or the other.

Cheers,
David

From: ray on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:47:57 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:

> "ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
> news:7unlspFb4lU22(a)mid.individual.net... []
>> Strangely enough, that has been me experience, as well. I've used GIMP
>> more than photoshop and I find photoshop to be less 'intuitive' - as
>> has been pointed out - 'intuitive' is colored highly by your
>> experience.
>
> "Intuitive" is also a function of the operating system and its
> conventions - one reason why Windows programs ported to the Mac and
> vice-versa can be more difficult for a user well-versed and familiar
> with the accepted conventions and keystrokes for the native OS.
>
> I've used many editing programs, both on my own PC and when helping
> others, and GIMP rates bottom in those I've used. I haven't used
> Photoshop enough to comment on it one way or the other.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Maybe you're using the wrong OS ;)
From: David J Taylor on
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:47:57 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:
[]
> Maybe you're using the wrong OS ;)

What OS you use isn't the point, as I tried to indicate. If you are using
Windows, you expect the programs to behave like Windows programs, equally
if you are using a Mac OS, or if you are using Linux you expect a basic
familiarity with the software. The problems arise when a program designed
for one OS is ported to another without due consideration for the
conventions of the new OS.

If someone finds GIMP suits their natural way of working, that's great.
Like a number of other posters, I did not.

Cheers,
David