From: ray on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:22:52 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:35:40 -0600, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>> Nothing. I did that (tried GIMP) and as others have said: a complete
>>> waste of time. I am surprised that anyone is still suggesting it as a
>>> credible option.
>>>

>>I tried it a couple of times, but (if it hasn't been improved) it seemed
>>that the creator had set out to make it as non-intuitive as possible.
>>Allen
>
> I have yet to see/use an intuitive software program. Something that is
> intuitive is something that anticipates what you want to do and directs
> you to or takes you to the next step. Image processing software doesn't
> do that.
>
> You open a file and the image just sits there until you tell the program
> what to do. The program doesn't sense that you want to lighten the
> image, increase the contrast, crop it, re-size it, or anything else.
> Whatever your next step is, it will be a series of steps, and you will
> have to decide what those steps will be.

Haven't tried ufraw recently, have you?

From: tony cooper on
On 26 Feb 2010 01:21:43 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

>>>I tried it a couple of times, but (if it hasn't been improved) it seemed
>>>that the creator had set out to make it as non-intuitive as possible.
>>>Allen
>>
>> I have yet to see/use an intuitive software program. Something that is
>> intuitive is something that anticipates what you want to do and directs
>> you to or takes you to the next step. Image processing software doesn't
>> do that.
>>
>> You open a file and the image just sits there until you tell the program
>> what to do. The program doesn't sense that you want to lighten the
>> image, increase the contrast, crop it, re-size it, or anything else.
>> Whatever your next step is, it will be a series of steps, and you will
>> have to decide what those steps will be.
>
>Haven't tried ufraw recently, have you?

Never. Why should I? I shoot RAW and upload into either Lightroom or
Bridge converting my NEF file to a .dng.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: nospam on
In article <7uom17Fb4lU26(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
wrote:

> > You open a file and the image just sits there until you tell the program
> > what to do. The program doesn't sense that you want to lighten the
> > image, increase the contrast, crop it, re-size it, or anything else.
> > Whatever your next step is, it will be a series of steps, and you will
> > have to decide what those steps will be.
>
> Haven't tried ufraw recently, have you?

when did ufraw get mind reading functionality?
From: ray on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:44:23 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <7uom17Fb4lU26(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > You open a file and the image just sits there until you tell the
>> > program what to do. The program doesn't sense that you want to
>> > lighten the image, increase the contrast, crop it, re-size it, or
>> > anything else. Whatever your next step is, it will be a series of
>> > steps, and you will have to decide what those steps will be.
>>
>> Haven't tried ufraw recently, have you?
>
> when did ufraw get mind reading functionality?

Long time ago. It does default exposure correction when you read the file
- and yes it's quite simple to reset if you don't like it.
From: ray on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:37:29 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2010 01:21:43 GMT, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:22:52 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

>>> I have yet to see/use an intuitive software program. Something that
>>> is intuitive is something that anticipates what you want to do and
>>> directs you to or takes you to the next step. Image processing
>>> software doesn't do that.
>>>
>>> You open a file and the image just sits there until you tell the
>>> program what to do. The program doesn't sense that you want to
>>> lighten the image, increase the contrast, crop it, re-size it, or
>>> anything else. Whatever your next step is, it will be a series of
>>> steps, and you will have to decide what those steps will be.
>>
>>Haven't tried ufraw recently, have you?
>
> Never. Why should I? I shoot RAW and upload into either Lightroom or
> Bridge converting my NEF file to a .dng.

Well, I don't know - possibly because it has features you were
complaining about not having - like default corrections applied when you
read the file in.