From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:31:32 -0500, Alan Lichtenstein wrote:

>>> My skill level requires me to either have someone to show it to me,
>>>or a book to make reference to.
>>

>> Then go with elements as there are PLENTY of free tutorial videos.
>> Most of the photo magazines have tutorials on the cover CD. You wont
>> get that for GIMP
>
> From the majority of responses, it appears that most would recommend
> Elements plus Lightroom with Photomatix for HDR eventually.

True. But that's the majority of responses, not the majority of responders.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-02-24 07:05:39 -0800, Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com> said:

> [...]
>>> also understand that both of these programs have a rudimentary ability
>>> to deal with HDR, which intrigues me, despite the fact that my learning
>>> curve at this time does not permit me take advantage of that. Perhaps
>>> someday.
>>>
>>> since in my case, the increased expense is not a problem, would you
>>> recommend either of those programs or elements? I would prefer not to
>>> purchase something only to have to make frequent upgrades. While I
>>> understand that upgrading is part of the process, if one could be
>>> eliminated early on, it would be preferable.
>>>
>>> Could I manage either of those programs in a learning curve?
>>>
>>> Your opinion.
>>

>> you can think of lightroom and aperture (in particular) as iphoto on
>> steroids. for most people, lightroom and aperture are excellent
>> solutions, and do the important tasks. photoshop is great for fancy
>> retouching, editing, etc., i.e., more specialized tasks.
>> personally i prefer aperture because apple's support for supporting new
>> cameras is not as quick as adobe, but if your camera is already
>> supported, then that's not a big issue. also, lightroom integrates far
>> better with photoshop than aperture does, but if you don't have
>> photoshop that is also not a major issue. on the other hand, aperture
>> integrates better with other ilife apps. aperture 3 just came out and
>> lightroom 3 is due soon (there's a public beta but it doesn't have all
>> of the features the final version will).
>>
>> there are free trials of all of these apps, so you can try them out and
>> see, however, there is a bit of a learning curve with all of them, so
>> it will take a little bit of effort to really get an idea of what they
>> can really do. there are a number of tutorial and demo videos to give
>> you an idea of what can be done.
>>
>> i know that there are hdr plugins, but i don't do much hdr so i don't
>> have much info on that.
>
> first of all, I appreciate your response. I see from some of the
> and long range plans, prompted the responses. My feeling at the
> present is that I want a program that is better than iPhoto, in that it
> offers more of what I want to do, but understanding that eventually I
> will outgrow it. But I don't want to outgrow it rapidly. so the
> program would need some features that I will have to grow into, but
> eventually grow out of. From both your responses as well as few
> others, I think that either Lightroom or Aperature is the way to go,
> with Photomaxix down the line, and perhaps a more serious editor, down
> the line.
>
> My question is therefore, if those are my goals, and I may eventually
> wind up upgrading to one of the Photoshop CS programs, will I be at a
> disadvantage if I purchase Aperature rather than Lightroom. I do not
> think at this juncture, given what I have I would benefit by obtaining
> Elements.
>
> Since you seem to be an Apple enthusiast, as am I, that question is germane.

Alan,
You seem to have got most of the information to make your decision. I
would just repeat what others and I have said, that regardless of
Aperture being an Apple product which would work well with my
collection of Macs, I use Lightroom + CS4.
If a version of CS is something you are considering in the future,
working with PS Elements now will make the learning curve for that
transition much easier. Elements 8 comes with a reasonable media
management hub, which is better than iPhoto, but not on the same level
as Bridge (part of CS), Lightroom, or Aperture.
I would make PS Elements 8 your first choice. Then move on to Lightroom
and later CS4(or maybe by the time you are ready CS5.)
Photomatix Pro is a stand alone program, and any HDR image you create
can be edited and adjusted after HDR processing with PS Elements. Once
you add Lightroom and/or CS to your tool box you will have the plugin
for those programs. http://www.hdrsoft.com/ They have a trial version
as well.

Good luck, and don't let the newsgroup bickering bother you.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: C. Neil Ellwood on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:43:00 +0000, Chris H wrote:

>>> In this instance PSE is a better choice than GIMP. Only the religious
>>> would say otherwise.
>>
>>Or those with much less money than time, such as pensioners like myself
>>who unwittingly helped to buy the gigantic pensions bankers enjoy.
>
> Er... Elements is all but Free.
>
>>I don't mind learning a more awkward interface if it saves me money, so
>>the image editing software I use is almost entirely free. I use GIMP
>>when the simpler editors I use can't do the job.
>
> GIMP *IS* a simpler editor with a lousy awkward interface.

Gimp just takes a very little learning and I use the way that was
pioneered with the earlier versions ( right clicking on the picture to
get to whatever I want to do instead of going all the way to the top of
the screen to select the tool), there are many ways of doing something and
whatever way one finds easiest is the best.
--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a' - delete 'l'.
From: ray on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:45:06 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <7ul2ptFb4lU19(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> And again, OP is not a pro - a rank amateur. Amateurs and pros don't
>> need the same tools.
>
> that's why there's photoshop elements and the full photoshop.
>
>> > In this instance PSE is a better choice than GIMP. Only the
>> > religious would say otherwise.
>>
>> That's very possible - what, exactly, do you have against letting OP
>> try them both and see what's best in his situation?
>
> what do you have against advice from those who have tried both and found
> that the gimp is not worth the bother?

What I have against it is: what is 'not worth the bother' for one person
may be exactly what another person needs - that's the same reason there
is more than one camera for sale.

A point you probably have not considered is 'adequacy'. It's not even
necessary to have 'the best' if what you have is adequate to your needs.
Especially if the adequate solution is free and 'the best' is not.

I wonder what you're afraid of.
From: Chris H on
In message <240220101145066458%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> writes
>In article <7ul2ptFb4lU19(a)mid.individual.net>, ray <ray(a)zianet.com>
>wrote:
>
>> And again, OP is not a pro - a rank amateur. Amateurs and pros don't need
>> the same tools.
>
>that's why there's photoshop elements and the full photoshop.
>
>> > In this instance PSE is a better choice than GIMP. Only the religious
>> > would say otherwise.
>>
>> That's very possible - what, exactly, do you have against letting OP try
>> them both and see what's best in his situation?
>
>what do you have against advice from those who have tried both and
>found that the gimp is not worth the bother?

I note that a lot of those suggesting PSE, like myself, have tried GIMP
and found it wanting.....

Those pushing GIMP just seem anti PS for religious reasons.