From: John McWilliams on
Alan Lichtenstein wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> In article <4b8540a0$0$22530$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
>> <arl(a)erols.com> wrote:
>>

>>> My question is therefore, if those are my goals, and I may eventually
>>> wind up upgrading to one of the Photoshop CS programs, will I be at a
>>> disadvantage if I purchase Aperature rather than Lightroom. I do not
>>> think at this juncture, given what I have I would benefit by
>>> obtaining Elements.
>>

>> that's a subjective decision. some people prefer the user interface of
>> aperture, others prefer lightroom. there are also some feature
>> differences, however, lightroom 3 is due soon so that's a bit of a
>> moving target right now.
>>
>> lightroom, being an adobe product, integrates far better with photoshop
>> than aperture does. they both share the same raw processing engine
>> (camera raw) and in the event an image needs additional processing, an
>> image can be round-tripped to photoshop for additional work without any
>> interim files.
>> aperture, being an apple product, integrates with other apple
>> applications and the system itself. unfortunately, apple's track record
>> with supporting new cameras is very slow, so if you buy a new camera,
>> it might be a while until it's supported, if at all.
>>
>> i'd suggest watching the various tutorial videos for both products and
>> see what can be done, then try out the free demo versions. as i said,
>> there's a bit of a learning curve since they're both very powerful
>> applications, but with a little perseverance you should be able to
>> decide which one you prefer,
>
> You point out very good points. And you're right; at the end of the
> day, it's a subjective decision based on objective factors. but between
> you and everyone else, I believe I have sufficient 'advice' to make my
> decision. And I thank you, and all the rest of the responders for your
> time in putting up with my ignorance. I think I'll continue to lurk
> awhile and pick everyone's brains. Already I see in this thread
> fundamental philosophical differences which have colored some of the
> somehow degenerated into some flaming attempts, for which I am truly
> sorry. I didn't mean to be the cause of such vehemence.
>
> And that apology would apply to you personally as well, as I see that
> because of your responses to me, you became embroiled in some of those.
> On a more personal level, I recall some exchanges a number of years
> back with someone with your handle, in which I was less than kind. If
> you are that person, my personal apologies to you as well for those
> past. You have been more than kind to me.
>
> I've still got a lot to learn about actually taking better photographs
> using the camera that I have, and the one I probably will upgrade to
> shortly.

No need to apologize for anything. Some few denizens will argue about
anything, and a couple are actually pests who attack everything. Very
sad to see such deep seated anger vented at every opportunity, and done
in a cowardly manner.

--
john mcwilliams
From: John McWilliams on
Chris H wrote:
> In message <4b8540a0$0$22530$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein

>> My question is therefore, if those are my goals, and I may eventually
>> wind up upgrading to one of the Photoshop CS programs, will I be at a
>> disadvantage if I purchase Aperature rather than Lightroom.
>
> I think the answer has to be yes.... but only a very minor one. Try both
> and see what you like. Use the one you find the best to work with. IF
> you are like me you will only occasionally need something other than LR
> or Aperture.
>
>> I do not think at this juncture, given what I have I would benefit by
>> obtaining Elements.
>
> OK... But you should be able to get elements for (almost) free.

Moreover, Elements integrates well with Lightroom. One way is in LR, you
hit Cmd-E and it opens the image in PS or PSE, depending on which you have.

I am not sure if PSE does panoramic stitching or HDR, the former being
more important to me than the latter. HDR is way overrated and often,
after hours of work, looks poor.

--
john mcwilliams
From: John McWilliams on
Chris H wrote:
> In message <230220101806139479%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
> <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> writes

>>> Probably :-) It is best to ask... I have stopped taking these things
>>> for granted.
>> iphoto and aperture are mac only so there isn't any other option.
>
> Last time I looked Aperture was only on MAC (as was iPhoto) but these
> things have a habit of changing when I am not looking.

It's "Mac", and highly unlikely either of those programs will be offered
on PCs.

> I must admit I only tried GIMP on the PC... PS and both Mac and PC. It
> was also partly why I chose Lightroom over Aperture.

I recommend Lightroom based in small part that it's cross platform. Same
reason I use Thunderbird and Firefox, and not Mail, although I do use
Safari a lot.

--
john mcwilliams
From: C. Neil Ellwood on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:43:35 -0500, nospam wrote:

> In article <R3kybYDBmFhLFA+J(a)phaedsys.demon.co.uk>, Chris H
> <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
>
>> >I have iPhoto on my computer, and it does OK, but I'm looking for
>> >something that does a bit more processing than what I already have.
>>
>> OK...iPhoto is OK as a catalogue. Though I never really got on with it.
>> Try elements. The full Photoshop is expensive and probalby too complex
>> for what you need.
>>
>> However I am not sure Lightroom or Aperture will be what you want. You
>> can eval versions of both. I did and went for Lightroom
>>
>> BTW do you use a MAC or a PC?
>
> the fact that he uses iphoto means he uses a mac.

It also used to be on windows - given away free with other items. I got it
with a printer.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a' - delete 'l'.
From: nospam on
In article <OqadnZeSTc6izxjWnZ2dnUVZ7rVi4p2d(a)bt.com>, C. Neil Ellwood
<cral.elllwood2(a)btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> BTW do you use a MAC or a PC?
> >
> > the fact that he uses iphoto means he uses a mac.
>
> It also used to be on windows - given away free with other items. I got it
> with a printer.

iphoto has *never* been available on windows.