From: Bruce on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:31:32 -0500, Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com>
wrote:

>My skill level is best described as low. It's evident to me that
>everyone here has knowledge skills and understandings that are head and
>shoulders above me.

Don't believe that for a minute. Very few people posting here are as
skilled in image manipulation as they would like you to believe.

Your approach is the right one. You are obviously keen to learn and I
expect you will become quite skilled in a relatively short time.

Good luck!

From: Charles Chase on
wrote:

>Chris H wrote:
>
>> In message <4b8430f1$0$22546$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
>> <arl(a)erols.com> writes
>>
>>>I have iPhoto on my computer, and it does OK, but I'm looking for
>>>something that does a bit more processing than what I already have.
>>

>> OK...iPhoto is OK as a catalogue. Though I never really got on with it.
>> Try elements. The full Photoshop is expensive and probalby too complex
>> for what you need.
>>
>> However I am not sure Lightroom or Aperture will be what you want. You
>> can eval versions of both. I did and went for Lightroom
>>
>> BTW do you use a MAC or a PC?
>
>I own a Mac.
>
>>> My skill level requires me to either have someone to show it to me,
>>>or a book to make reference to.
>>

>> Then go with elements as there are PLENTY of free tutorial videos. Most
>> of the photo magazines have tutorials on the cover CD. You wont get
>> that for GIMP
>
> From the majority of responses, it appears that most would recommend
>Elements plus Lightroom with Photomatix for HDR eventually.

Just like those that voted for Bush, the majority voicing the worst choices
available. But you go ahead, buy their inexperienced opinions. :-)

From: Alan Lichtenstein on
nospam wrote:
> In article <4b843d93$0$31286$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, Alan Lichtenstein
> <arl(a)erols.com> wrote:
>

>>I would prefer a better asset management program than what I have. I
>>also understand that both of these programs have a rudimentary ability
>>to deal with HDR, which intrigues me, despite the fact that my learning
>>curve at this time does not permit me take advantage of that. Perhaps
>>someday.
>>
>>since in my case, the increased expense is not a problem, would you
>>recommend either of those programs or elements? I would prefer not to
>>purchase something only to have to make frequent upgrades. While I
>>understand that upgrading is part of the process, if one could be
>>eliminated early on, it would be preferable.
>>
>>Could I manage either of those programs in a learning curve?
>>
>>Your opinion.
>

> you can think of lightroom and aperture (in particular) as iphoto on
> steroids. for most people, lightroom and aperture are excellent
> solutions, and do the important tasks. photoshop is great for fancy
> retouching, editing, etc., i.e., more specialized tasks.
>
> personally i prefer aperture because apple's support for supporting new
> cameras is not as quick as adobe, but if your camera is already
> supported, then that's not a big issue. also, lightroom integrates far
> better with photoshop than aperture does, but if you don't have
> photoshop that is also not a major issue. on the other hand, aperture
> integrates better with other ilife apps. aperture 3 just came out and
> lightroom 3 is due soon (there's a public beta but it doesn't have all
> of the features the final version will).
>
> there are free trials of all of these apps, so you can try them out and
> see, however, there is a bit of a learning curve with all of them, so
> it will take a little bit of effort to really get an idea of what they
> can really do. there are a number of tutorial and demo videos to give
> you an idea of what can be done.
>
> i know that there are hdr plugins, but i don't do much hdr so i don't
> have much info on that.

first of all, I appreciate your response. I see from some of the
and long range plans, prompted the responses. My feeling at the present
is that I want a program that is better than iPhoto, in that it offers
more of what I want to do, but understanding that eventually I will
outgrow it. But I don't want to outgrow it rapidly. so the program
would need some features that I will have to grow into, but eventually
grow out of. From both your responses as well as few others, I think
that either Lightroom or Aperature is the way to go, with Photomaxix
down the line, and perhaps a more serious editor, down the line.

My question is therefore, if those are my goals, and I may eventually
wind up upgrading to one of the Photoshop CS programs, will I be at a
disadvantage if I purchase Aperature rather than Lightroom. I do not
think at this juncture, given what I have I would benefit by obtaining
Elements.

Since you seem to be an Apple enthusiast, as am I, that question is germane.
From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:45:09 +0000, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:31:32 -0500, Alan Lichtenstein <arl(a)erols.com>
>wrote:
>
>>My skill level is best described as low. It's evident to me that
>>everyone here has knowledge skills and understandings that are head and
>>shoulders above me.
>

>Don't believe that for a minute. Very few people posting here are as
>skilled in image manipulation as they would like you to believe.

Most, though, may have better reading comprehension skills that you
do. I read the entire thread, and don't recall anyone claiming to
have image manipulation skills, let alone any great proficiency in
image editing.

The comments dealt with which programs the responders were using
and/or recommending. I don't recall any comments about how good they
are in the use of the programs.

>Your approach is the right one. You are obviously keen to learn and I
>expect you will become quite skilled in a relatively short time.

Possible, but given his interest in HDR I'm not holding my breath for
any good results. That interest indicates that he likes
over-processed, unrealistic, and garish output...the Thomas Kinkade
School of Stormy Skies and Electric Sunflowers.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: nospam on
In article <ZduQxSGr8OhLFAN+(a)phaedsys.demon.co.uk>, Chris H
<chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:

> A free copy of PS Elements stops them looking at
> cheaper options...

it doesn't prevent anyone from doing anything.