From: Fred on

"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
> derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.
>
> To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version of
> Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
> directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
> directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
> the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something like
> the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS CLI.
>
> So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
> under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
> spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)
>
> Cheers, Phred.

I notice on Kelly's corner a download for a XP explorer tool.

Program Name: JoneSoft Time Stamp Modifier
Version: 1.1.1.7 - 12 November 2000
Author: Jaesen Jones
email: jaesenj(a)ozemail.com.au
web:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~jaesenj/software/software.html
Copyright: (c) 1999-2000 JoneSoft
Provided As: Freeware (refer below License Agreement)

"An enhancement to Windows Explorer, simply right click a file (or files)
and select 'Change File Time(s)'. This extension allows you to modify the
time and date of any file on your computer. Change whole folders at a time.
You can change all three dates - created, modified and accessed - in one go.
A great tool for apps developers; use it to set your app file times to
reflect the latest version (like Microsoft). Full install/uninstall."

Line 83

From: Gary R. Schmidt on
Phred wrote:
> G'day mates,
>
> From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
> derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.

This is *exactly* what the UNIX/Gecos/etcetera "touch" command does.

So, it's available as part of Cygwin, which is free, but perhaps a bit
too large to download.

Having a quick look on my disk, I have a standalone windows exe
somewhere... Yep, there it is, has a "gnu.org" bug report line.

Presumably available as part of a Windows 'port of the various GNU
utils, I'll bung it on my website...
<http://www.mcleod-schmidt.id.au/Downloads/touch.exe>,\.
16/06/2001 06:24 AM 39,424 Touch.exe

Cheers,
Gary B-)

whether you were up them with or not
- Barry Humphries
From: Robert AH Prins on
"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G'day mates,
>
> From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
> derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.
>
> To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version of
> Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
> directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
> directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
> the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something like
> the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS CLI.
>
> So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
> under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
> spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)

In addition to the one mentioned (I have been using Romain Petges
Attribute Changer for years) there's also a no longer supported shell
extension called "Properties Plus". Google for "pplus165.exe" to find
it.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
prino at prino dot plus dot com

From: Phred on
In article <4n7n3oF94vqaU1(a)individual.net>, "Robert AH Prins" <prino(a)onetel.com> wrote:
>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> G'day mates,
>>
>> From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
>> derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.
>>
>> To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version of
>> Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
>> directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
>> directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
>> the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something like
>> the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS CLI.
>>
>> So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
>> under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
>> spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)
>
>In addition to the one mentioned (I have been using Romain Petges
>Attribute Changer for years) there's also a no longer supported shell
>extension called "Properties Plus". Google for "pplus165.exe" to find

Did that. It came up here:
<http://mikrocomputertechnik.fh-mannheim.de/Download/Software/software.
htm>

and here:
<http://pricelessware.org/thelist/fil.htm>

But the download link from the Pricelessware site is broken. The file
is available from the .de link. It's 231,061 bytes, which, I assume,
is the correct size for the recommended "Properties Plus 1.65"?

Addendum: The link from this Pricelessware page is also stuffed:
<http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2004/PL2004FILEUTILITIES.php>

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

From: Susan Bugher on
Phred wrote:
> In article <4n7n3oF94vqaU1(a)individual.net>, "Robert AH Prins" <prino(a)onetel.com> wrote:
>
>>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>G'day mates,
>>>
>>>From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
>>>derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.
>>>
>>>To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version of
>>>Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
>>>directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
>>>directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
>>>the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something like
>>>the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS CLI.
>>>
>>>So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
>>>under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
>>>spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)
>>
>>In addition to the one mentioned (I have been using Romain Petges
>>Attribute Changer for years) there's also a no longer supported shell
>>extension called "Properties Plus". Google for "pplus165.exe" to find
>

> Did that. It came up here:
> <http://mikrocomputertechnik.fh-mannheim.de/Download/Software/software.
> htm>
>
> and here:
> <http://pricelessware.org/thelist/fil.htm>
>
> But the download link from the Pricelessware site is broken. The file
> is available from the .de link. It's 231,061 bytes, which, I assume,
> is the correct size for the recommended "Properties Plus 1.65"?
>
> Addendum: The link from this Pricelessware page is also stuffed:
> <http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2004/PL2004FILEUTILITIES.php>

OLD Pricelessware pages are *archived* - they're never updated.

The ACF program info pages have the most recent information:

Program: Properties Plus
Company: Kish Designs
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) LFW (v 1.65)
ftp://ftp.pcworld.co.nz/Pcworld/files/aug2000/pplus165.exe

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware