From: Phred on
G'day mates,

From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.

To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version of
Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something like
the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS CLI.

So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

From: me here on
Phred wrote:

> G'day mates,
>
> From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
> derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.
>
> To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version
> of Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
> directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
> directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
> the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something
> like the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS
> CLI.
>
> So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
> under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
> spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Replsoft "Change Attributes" is free and supposedly does what you want.

http://www.replsoft.com/changeattr.html

Cheers

Rob

From: Phred on
In article <450e7ef9$1_2(a)news.chariot.net.au>, "me here" <gloaming_agnet(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>Phred wrote:
>> From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
>> derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.
>>
>> To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version
>> of Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
>> directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
>> directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
>> the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something
>> like the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS
>> CLI.
>>
>> So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
>> under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
>> spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)
>
>Replsoft "Change Attributes" is free and supposedly does what you want.
>
>http://www.replsoft.com/changeattr.html

Thanks for the suggestion, Rob. I'll keep it in mind, but it seems it
needs the full "Useful File Utilities" installation to make it work as
a plugin. UFU is about 1.3 MB without plugins, and costs USD30
(currently about AUD40) which is a bit more than I'm happy to pay in
this case -- unless UFU itself is a "must have" (and I don't know
anyone who has got it 8-).

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

From: Phred on
In article <fovsg2h8qi8ijlorohfk4rosfunrgp3bim(a)thomaslauer.com>, Thomas Lauer <thomas.lauer(a)virgin.net> wrote:
>ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com (Phred) wrote:
>
>> It's clearly one of those cases where something like
>> the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS CLI.
>
>Err, my 4nt CLI has a nice touch command :-)
>
>Back to your request: http://webplaza.pt.lu/~rpetges/

Thanks for that suggestion. Tom. Looks pretty good from the web page.
I might give it a go if nothing obviously better turns up.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

From: Gert van der Kooij on
In article <4n7bfkF921q5U1(a)individual.net>, ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com
says...
> G'day mates,
>
> So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
> under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
> spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Free Commander can set date/time attributes. You can find it at
http://www.freecommander.com/