From: Dave on
Phred wrote:
> In article <4n7n3oF94vqaU1(a)individual.net>, "Robert AH Prins" <prino(a)onetel.com> wrote:
>
>>"Phred" <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>G'day mates,
>>>
>>>From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and their
>>>derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.
>>>
>>>To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version of
>>>Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
>>>directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
>>>directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
>>>the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something like
>>>the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS CLI.
>>>
>>>So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
>>>under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
>>>spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)
>>
>>In addition to the one mentioned (I have been using Romain Petges
>>Attribute Changer for years) there's also a no longer supported shell
>>extension called "Properties Plus". Google for "pplus165.exe" to find

Here's a nice simple one that works pretty good for date changing.
Attribute Magic
http://www.attributemagic.com/attributemagic_free.html

Dave
From: Klaatu on
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:42:27 GMT, Phred posted to alt.comp.freeware:

> So, question is, what can you recommend that will do this sort of job
> under Windows 9x and XP? It's not such a big deal that I want to
> spend anything more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)

A simple one-line AutoIt script (http://www.autoitscript.com) will do it:

;-------------begin---------------
FileSetTime($CmdLine[1], @YEAR & @MON & @MDAY & @HOUR & @MIN & @SEC, 1)
;--------------end----------------

Save it as touch.au3 and compile it into touch.exe and you have your
program. Of course, there's no error checking or anything like that, and it
only changes the created date (2 more lines would fix that easily enough),
but it does the job.

HTH

--
.... I am Homer of Borg. You will be assim... ooooh donuts!
From: logicrules on
I have been using DMex 3.19 for a long time. Works great. Plugs into
Windows Explorer. You'll never notice it until you need it. Has a lot
of extra stuff you might like also. Google for it!
Enjoy,

From: Rod Speed on
Phred <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote

> From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files and
> their derivatives so they all end up with the same time stamp.

> To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my old version
> of Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can be a pain to use in deep
> directory structures because you have to either migrate to the
> directory from the DOS prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on
> the command line. It's clearly one of those cases where something like
> the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the DOS CLI.

> So, question is, what can you recommend that will
> do this sort of job under Windows 9x and XP?

I like DateEdit v4.0, datee400.zip

It puts an extra entry in the right mouse click popup menu so its very easy to use.

> It's not such a big deal that I want to spend anything
> more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)

Yeah, plenty of free ones around.

From: me on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in

> Phred <ppnerkDELETETHIS(a)yahoo.com> wrote
>
>> From time to time I need to "touch" a group of data files
>> and their derivatives so they all end up with the same
>> time stamp.
>
>> To date, I've been using the 15-year old FD.EXE from my
>> old version of Norton's Utilities. It works, but it can
>> be a pain to use in deep directory structures because you
>> have to either migrate to the directory from the DOS
>> prompt, or specify the whole bloody thing on the command
>> line. It's clearly one of those cases where something like
>> the Windows Explorer interface has the advantage over the
>> DOS CLI.
>
>> So, question is, what can you recommend that will
>> do this sort of job under Windows 9x and XP?
>
> I like DateEdit v4.0, datee400.zip
>
> It puts an extra entry in the right mouse click popup menu
> so its very easy to use.
>
>> It's not such a big deal that I want to spend anything
>> more than a trivial amount of money on it, at most. :)
>
> Yeah, plenty of free ones around.

FWIW (if it's the one from home.worldonline.dk/~ninotech/)
The W9x machines might be "happier" w/ v3.0

v3.0 DATEE300.ZIP 39,872 bytes

v4.0 Download size: 113 KB
What's new in 4.0 [ quot the one-and-only ]
Support for the Visual Styles introduced in Windows XP. This
means that the graphical user interface of Date Edit matches the
look of Windows XP [ /quot ]

Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom