From: JimH on
XS11E wrote:
> CSM1 <nomail(a)nomoremail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Even Windows XP can write to a CDR if you have a burner in your
>> computer.
>
> Even Windows 3.1 can write to a CDR.

Yes, I do it with Karen's Replicator all the time in order to backup
Quicken data. But for some reason, Quicken can't. It used to be able to,
but then they "fixed" it.

--
Jim
From: CSM1 on
JimH <JimH(a)invalid.net> wrote in news:2CJ9n.15421$3W2.6834(a)newsfe14.iad:

> XS11E wrote:
>> CSM1 <nomail(a)nomoremail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Even Windows XP can write to a CDR if you have a burner in your
>>> computer.
>>
>> Even Windows 3.1 can write to a CDR.
>>

> Yes, I do it with Karen's Replicator all the time in order to backup
> Quicken data. But for some reason, Quicken can't. It used to be able
to,
> but then they "fixed" it.
>
> --
> Jim

I don't write directly to the CD or CDRW in Quicken.

Instead I write the backup file to a folder (I created a folder just for
the Quicken backup) on my hard drive, then copy that file/folder to a
CDRW. I use Nero InCD to write to a packet CDRW disk.

That works great in Quicken Deluxe 2010.

I have not tried to write directly to a cdrw in Quicken ever since they
"Fixed it" in Quicken 2000.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
From: JimH on
CSM1 wrote:

> I don't write directly to the CD or CDRW in Quicken.
>
> Instead I write the backup file to a folder (I created a folder just for
> the Quicken backup) on my hard drive, then copy that file/folder to a
> CDRW. I use Nero InCD to write to a packet CDRW disk.
>
> That works great in Quicken Deluxe 2010.
>
> I have not tried to write directly to a cdrw in Quicken ever since they
> "Fixed it" in Quicken 2000.

I tried that for a while, but I didn't want yet another copy of my
Quicken data on the hard drive. As long as it is manually removed, then
there is no problem. But, I've given away old computers to family and
friends. I don't want too many copies of critical data that I have to
remember to clean up. I tried to disable the automatic Quicken backups
for this same reason. There used to be a way to do it by editing one of
the ini files, but one version of Quicken broke that also, causing some
side affect, so I ended up turning the automatic backups back on.

I have Karen's Replicator set up to create a folder on a DVD with the
current date in the name of the folder. It then copies the original
Quicken data files into that folder. With one click of a button, it
creates a new backup on the DVD each day. Each quarter, the DVD goes to
my safety deposit box at the bank, and I start a new DVD.
--
Jim
From: Mikel Sunova on

"JimH" <JimH(a)invalid.net> wrote in message
> CSM1 wrote:
>>
>> I don't write directly to the CD or CDRW in Quicken. Instead I write the
>> backup file to a folder (I created a folder just for the Quicken backup)
>> on my hard drive, then copy that file/folder to a CDRW. I use Nero InCD
>> to write to a packet CDRW disk.
>>
>> That works great in Quicken Deluxe 2010.
>>
>> I have not tried to write directly to a cdrw in Quicken ever since they
>> "Fixed it" in Quicken 2000.
>>

> I tried that for a while, but I didn't want yet another copy of my Quicken
> data on the hard drive. As long as it is manually removed, then there is
> no problem. But, I've given away old computers to family and friends. I
> don't want too many copies of critical data that I have to remember to
> clean up.

A suggestion: Since even long deleted data is recoverable on an HD, when
setting up a machine, I generally create a 'Basic' image (I use Acronis TI)
that can be restored to the HD if I should later decied to donate the HD to
someone. Of course, before this, I use a disc wiper utility to completely
clean the HD. Several passes and I know my data is irrecoverable.

Mikel

From: Steven Latus on
On 02/01/2010 1:08 PM, XS11E wrote:
> CSM1<nomail(a)nomoremail.com> wrote:
>
>> Steven Latus<slatus@*delete_this_part_to_reply*optonline.net>
>> wrote in news:4b65b7d7$0$22515$607ed4bc(a)cv.net:
>>> Floppies? What are those? ;)
>>
>> Little 3.5 inch plastic squares that hold no more that 1.44
>> Megabytes and are very slow.
>>
>> It takes 451 of them to store what you can put on one CDR or CDRW.
>>
>> Even Windows XP can write to a CDR if you have a burner in your
>> computer.
>
> Even Windows 3.1 can write to a CDR.

My new computer doesn't have a floppy drive.

I opted for one when I had bought my last PC 5 years ago, but since I
can't remember when I even last used a floppy, this time I opted to do
without.

Just about anything worth backing up today exceeds the capacity of a
single floppy. Viva USB drives, CDs, DVDs and online backup!