From: James Gavan on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:54:51 -0700 (PDT), Alistair
> <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>The use of English and Spanish (I presume; No Habla Espanole) in this
>>thread has made me wonder about the compilers used in non-English
>>speaking countries: are they forced to use English or are there
>>language options which allow the use of local languages?
>

> I've read that the only place where non-English CoBOL compilers have
> been available is France. I don't know if that is true or ever has
> been true.
>
> Similarly, the only International Airport that has air traffic
> controllers not speak English is Montreal.

Well almost anything can happen in la belle province. What used to be a
very staunch Catholic province, controlled by the clergy both morally
and politically, is now fanatically secular. A Jesuit school just
challenged the Quebec government through the courts and currently won.
The government demanded that the particular school follow the Provincial
Education department idea as to what teaching religion is about, one of
those vanilla flavoured curriculum 'where everybody's religion gets a
mention'. Needless to say, while the prime emphasis for the Jesuits is
teaching catholicism, in the modern more 'open' world, they do make
reference to other religions.

Montreal air traffic - are you speaking from experience when you were a
USAF flyboy ? I would have thought they could be taken to the cleaners !
I'm thinking of the Quebecois fanaticism about the French language being
used, (I think they are the only 'country' that uses road sign posts
painted 'ARRET' instead of 'STOP'). If they want to play the bi-lingual
card under our Charter of Rights, then legally it follows an 'Anglo'
could challenge them on not being bi-lingual and using Anglais in an Air
Traffic tower. Perhaps a complaint, through channels, from a commerical
pilot from les Etats-Unis ?

As regards versions of the COBOL language. I might have it wrong but I
think the only COBOL compilers you can get from them are in Japanese
characters ? The company, Hitachi. I wonder is there a Japanese version
of Fujitsu in Japan. (Long ago there was an intent that Unisys would
pick up on Hitachi OO COBOL, on contract, but the idea although
publicized in the Web came to naught).

I kinda think that both India and China just might be clamouring for
local versions ? Quite likely in India the emphasis is on English
because they do a lot of outsourcing work contracted from N. America.
China I would have thought, is more likely to be interested in the
domestic market, and without any slight intended I would have thought
Indian education, (those old Empire roots), would be superior to the
Chinese version ?

Bill's point about language translation. I checked on the VOCABULARY
feature in Net Express before writing this. At this time it is limited;
'translations' are strictly to do with OO and you create a 'translation'
copyfile per Class that is affected. I can't recall, but do remember Tim
Josling, (the Oz COBOL compiler), complaining some ten years back about
COBOL RESERVED words - at least some 600 I think. With not too much
effort the OO approach above could become 'universal' with a Dictionary
lookup when you run your compiler; would marginally slow down the
compiler, but not too dramatically I would suggest. Once you've created
a DLL or EXE it doesn't matter what the original language was.

Here's an extract from the copyfile GUI.if. It's a bit confusing,
because this is their original style with the word 'object' popping up
all over the place. I've commented out what is not needed and this is an
ABSTRACT class with only FACTORY methods - no Object/Instance methods :-

$set hidemessage(731)
class-id. guibase is external.
object section. <---- comment out

class-control.
Dependent is class "dependnt"
guibase is class "guibase".
object. <---- comment out
FACTORY. <---- comment IN
method-id. "setEvent".
linkage section.
01 lnkeventindex pic s9(9) comp-5.
01 lnkeventhandler usage object reference.
procedure division using lnkeventindex lnkeventhandler
*> vocabulary
INVOKED as
== setEvent
[using] ([<self>] ,
<lnkeventindex> ,
<lnkeventhandler> )
==.
end method "setEvent".
method-id. "translateEvent".
linkage section.
01 lnkeventindex pic s9(9) comp-5.
01 lnkTranslatedEvent pic s9(9) comp-5.
01 lnkReceiver usage object reference.
01 lnkmethodName usage object reference.
procedure division using lnkeventindex lnkReceiver
lnkTranslatedEvent
*> vocabulary
INVOKED as
== map event <lnkeventindex> upon <self>
to logical event <lnkTranslatedEvent> upon <lnkReceiver>
==.
end method "translateEvent".
method-id. "setEventTo".
linkage section.
01 lnkeventindex pic s9(9) comp-5.
01 lnkReceiver usage object reference.
01 lnkmethodName pic x.
01 lnkParam1 pic x(4).
01 lnkParam2 pic x(4).
procedure division using lnkeventindex lnkReceiver lnkMethodName
lnkParam1 lnkParam2
*> vocabulary
INVOKED as
== map event <lnkeventindex> upon <self>
to method <lnkMethodName> upon <lnkReceiver>
[<lnkParam1>] [<lnkParam2>]
==.
end method "setEventTo".
END FACTORY. <----- comment IN
end object. <----- comment OUT
*> OBJECT. <--- these two commented lines are here
*> END OBJECT. <---- to show there are no INSTANCE methods

end class guibase.

Without thinking about it, I've used above to invoke GUIs, instead of
the normal context.

Jimmy, Calgary AB
From: Pete Dashwood on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:54:51 -0700 (PDT), Alistair
> <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> The use of English and Spanish (I presume; No Habla Espanole) in this
>> thread has made me wonder about the compilers used in non-English
>> speaking countries: are they forced to use English or are there
>> language options which allow the use of local languages?
>
> I've read that the only place where non-English CoBOL compilers have
> been available is France. I don't know if that is true or ever has
> been true.
>
> Similarly, the only International Airport that has air traffic
> controllers not speak English is Montreal.

I believe you because I know you are ex USAF and up on these things, Howard.
(And I have respect for your knowledge and integrity, from observing your
posts here over years.) But, as a private pilot, I find that frightening and
I would have thought it is also illegal. There are many airports around the
world where controllers are multilingual, but English HAS to be the first
language used, as I understand it. I understood there were international
agreements about this. Have they been revoked for Montreal?

Are you absolutely certain they do "not speak English"?

Pete.

From: Richard on
On Jul 13, 11:19 am, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> Howard Brazee wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:54:51 -0700 (PDT), Alistair
> > <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> The use of English and Spanish (I presume; No Habla Espanole) in this
> >> thread has made me wonder about the compilers used in non-English
> >> speaking countries: are they forced to use English or are there
> >> language options which allow the use of local languages?
>
> > I've read that the only place where non-English CoBOL compilers have
> > been available is France.   I don't know if that is true or ever has
> > been true.
>
> > Similarly, the only International Airport that has air traffic
> > controllers not speak English is Montreal.
>
> I believe you because I know you are ex USAF and up on these things, Howard.
> (And I have respect for your knowledge and integrity, from observing your
> posts here over years.) But, as a private pilot, I find that frightening and
> I would have thought it is also illegal. There are many airports around the
> world where controllers are multilingual, but English HAS to be the first
> language used, as I understand it. I understood there were international
> agreements about this. Have they been revoked for Montreal?
>
> Are you absolutely certain they do "not speak English"?
>
> Pete.
> --
> "I used to write COBOL...now I can do anything."

A quick google turns up:

"""I'm a french controller so it will be easy to answer your question:
for now there is no possibility to listen to live atc from France but
i don't think it's illegal.Perhaps in a close future it will be
possible.
About the langage used by us with the pilots: it's french or
english.In fact a controller speaks at the same time in english to
international pilots and in french with pilots of Air France...that
causes in fact some problems of comprehension because pilots don't
understand all that the controller says... so there is a project (but
it's just a project) which recommends to use only english langage: but
it will not happen before about 10 years I think..."""

"""Good day. I do listen to Montreal ACC in french and english,
depending on the pilot. It's fun hearing the weather and ATC
instructions in french. It's like trying a different flavor."""

So, apparently, Montreal does speak English as well as French, and so
does French ATC.

From: Anonymous on
In article <PjN_n.4554$Bh2.1835(a)newsfe04.iad>,
James Gavan <jgavan(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

[snip]

>A Jesuit school just
>challenged the Quebec government through the courts and currently won.

And a tired, sad sigh went up, and throughout the land was heard the
world-weary plaint 'When, *when* will folks realise that You Just Don't
Mess With the Jesuits?'

From
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.cobol/msg/129e29661efb91d3?dmode=source>

--begin quoted text:

(Note - I have nothing but respect for the Jesuit tradition of
scholarship... and nothing but awe and fear at the ruthless tendencies
demonstrated historically by these 'soldiers of Christ'.

--end quoted text

DD

From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:12:45 -0600, James Gavan <jgavan(a)shaw.ca>
wrote:

>> Similarly, the only International Airport that has air traffic
>> controllers not speak English is Montreal.
>>

>Well almost anything can happen in la belle province. What used to be a
>very staunch Catholic province, controlled by the clergy both morally
>and politically, is now fanatically secular. A Jesuit school just
>challenged the Quebec government through the courts and currently won.
>The government demanded that the particular school follow the Provincial
>Education department idea as to what teaching religion is about, one of
>those vanilla flavoured curriculum 'where everybody's religion gets a
>mention'. Needless to say, while the prime emphasis for the Jesuits is
>teaching catholicism, in the modern more 'open' world, they do make
>reference to other religions.

Interesting problem - literate education requires knowledge of various
religions, their stories, and their beliefs. And certainly in this
small world, knowing the beliefs of people around the world matters.
At least the handful of large, influential religions.

(I don't care that a particular mountain is sacred to some aboriginal
- let's treat the whole world as if it's sacred).

>Montreal air traffic - are you speaking from experience when you were a
>USAF flyboy ?

Not directly (never flew into Canada at all), but via hearsay. And I
haven't flown in decades.

I have listened on the radio to a pilot talking with ATC - only to
find out later that he didn't speak English enough to converse - only
enough to do his job.

>I kinda think that both India and China just might be clamouring for
>local versions ? Quite likely in India the emphasis is on English
>because they do a lot of outsourcing work contracted from N. America.
>China I would have thought, is more likely to be interested in the
>domestic market, and without any slight intended I would have thought
>Indian education, (those old Empire roots), would be superior to the
>Chinese version ?

Also, English is an official language of India. It is the language
that virtually all Indian businesses larger than family size must be
able to converse in.

But to a lesser extent, it is the lingua franca of the world. If you
can do business in English, you can do business around the world.

- James Madison