From: Pete Dashwood on
I am led to believe that RM ISAM files are the same format and compatible
with, Fujitsu ISAM.

I don't have any to try out but I'd like to know if anybody is in a position
to confirm or deny this?

Also, if anybody is using RM COBOL can you tell me what your overall
impression of it is, and what COBOL standard was last implemented by it?

Pete.

From: Richard on
On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> I am led to believe that RM ISAM files are the same format and compatible
> with, Fujitsu ISAM.

Some Fujitsu .so (shared object==dll) files carry Ryan McFarland
copyright notices. Whether these relate to ISAM file structure is not
established but ISAM files do have the marker 'RMKF'.

> I don't have any to try out but I'd like to know if anybody is in a position
> to confirm or deny this?
>
> Also, if anybody is using RM COBOL can you tell me what your overall
> impression of it is, and what COBOL standard was last implemented by it?

I doubt that they did anything beyond ANS'1985.
From: Pete Dashwood on
Richard wrote:
> On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>> I am led to believe that RM ISAM files are the same format and
>> compatible with, Fujitsu ISAM.
>
> Some Fujitsu .so (shared object==dll) files carry Ryan McFarland
> copyright notices. Whether these relate to ISAM file structure is not
> established but ISAM files do have the marker 'RMKF'.
>

>> I don't have any to try out but I'd like to know if anybody is in a
>> position to confirm or deny this?
>>
>> Also, if anybody is using RM COBOL can you tell me what your overall
>> impression of it is, and what COBOL standard was last implemented by
>> it?
>>

> I doubt that they did anything beyond ANS'1985.

Thanks, Richard.

Appreciated.

Pete.

From: Richard on
On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> I am led to believe that RM ISAM files are the same format and compatible
> with, Fujitsu ISAM.
>
> I don't have any to try out but I'd like to know if anybody is in a position
> to confirm or deny this?
>
> Also, if anybody is using RM COBOL can you tell me what your overall
> impression of it is, and what COBOL standard was last implemented by it?

Some time ago I had purchased at the local market (car boot sale) a
copy of 'Structured COBOL' and the matching 'Start-Up with RM/
COBOL-85' both by Wilson Price. They were only a couple of dollars.
The latter contained a diskette with RM/Cobol limited version.

I have installed this under dosemu and did a simple program that read
a provided sample data and wrote it as an ISAM file. This had a marker
of RMKF, same as Fujitsu.

I compiled a program under Fujitsu for Linux and it successfully read
the file written by RM/COBOL.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Richard wrote:
> On Jul 5, 10:07 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>> I am led to believe that RM ISAM files are the same format and
>> compatible with, Fujitsu ISAM.
>>
>> I don't have any to try out but I'd like to know if anybody is in a
>> position to confirm or deny this?
>>
>> Also, if anybody is using RM COBOL can you tell me what your overall
>> impression of it is, and what COBOL standard was last implemented by
>> it?
>>

> Some time ago I had purchased at the local market (car boot sale) a
> copy of 'Structured COBOL' and the matching 'Start-Up with RM/
> COBOL-85' both by Wilson Price. They were only a couple of dollars.
> The latter contained a diskette with RM/Cobol limited version.
>
> I have installed this under dosemu and did a simple program that read
> a provided sample data and wrote it as an ISAM file. This had a marker
> of RMKF, same as Fujitsu.
>
> I compiled a program under Fujitsu for Linux and it successfully read
> the file written by RM/COBOL.

Excellent! Looks like my informant was correct, although he said he wasn't
sure.

Thanks for your time on this Richard.

Pete.