From: Adam on
Joel wrote:
>>> I'd bet you ran the magenta sponge dry and fried
>>> the corresponding jets in the printhead as a result.
>>
>> Sounds reasonable. In future I'll refill them before the ink level
>> gets too low.
>
> I don't own any HP printer, but if there is 3rd party, being able to
> refill then it may have a chance that there is a refillable ink cartridge
> with Sponge-less.

Thanks, Joel! I admit I haven't looked very hard, but I don't think
there are refillable cartridges available for HP inkjets. (BTW HP
carts include the printhead.) AFAIK there are only "remanufactured"
cartridges which are OEM HP cartridges refilled by a third party.
I'll have to look harder for alternatives... unless one of the
experts here can point me to them. :-)

> IOW, there are special designs (very little difference but same in
> general) refillable ink cartridge which is CLEAR plastic with no sponge. And
> it uses vacuuming method so there is no air or bubble issue.

In my case, I suspect it's not a problem with air but what Jonathan
suggested -- with HP carts, the ink itself cools the printhead, so
if my tricolor cartridge ran out of (for example) magenta, without
ink the magenta printheads would overheat and die.

I've had no problems so far refilling the black cartridge (HP 21)
using the same needle method, so I figure I'm doing it correctly. I
suppose my next steps are to (a) see if there are refillable carts
out there, and (b) refill magenta more often. The ink level
indicator just lists one value for the color cartridge, so there's
no way of telling if one of the colors is running low.

Meanwhile, I'm using up the cyan and yellow that I'd already put
into the cartridge where magenta doesn't work, and printing my
non-critical text printouts in green, so the ink won't be a total
waste. :-)

Thanks again for your suggestions! They've helped guide me toward
what to do next.

Adam
From: TJ on
On 07/05/2010 11:51 AM, Adam wrote:

>>> Sounds reasonable. In future I'll refill them before the ink level
>>> gets too low.
>>
>> I don't own any HP printer, but if there is 3rd party, being able to
>> refill then it may have a chance that there is a refillable ink cartridge
>> with Sponge-less.
>
> Thanks, Joel! I admit I haven't looked very hard, but I don't think
> there are refillable cartridges available for HP inkjets. (BTW HP carts
> include the printhead.) AFAIK there are only "remanufactured" cartridges
> which are OEM HP cartridges refilled by a third party. I'll have to look
> harder for alternatives... unless one of the experts here can point me
> to them. :-)
>
>> IOW, there are special designs (very little difference but same in
>> general) refillable ink cartridge which is CLEAR plastic with no
>> sponge. And
>> it uses vacuuming method so there is no air or bubble issue.
>
> In my case, I suspect it's not a problem with air but what Jonathan
> suggested -- with HP carts, the ink itself cools the printhead, so if my
> tricolor cartridge ran out of (for example) magenta, without ink the
> magenta printheads would overheat and die.
>
> I've had no problems so far refilling the black cartridge (HP 21) using
> the same needle method, so I figure I'm doing it correctly. I suppose my
> next steps are to (a) see if there are refillable carts out there, and
> (b) refill magenta more often. The ink level indicator just lists one
> value for the color cartridge, so there's no way of telling if one of
> the colors is running low.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm using up the cyan and yellow that I'd already put into
> the cartridge where magenta doesn't work, and printing my non-critical
> text printouts in green, so the ink won't be a total waste. :-)
>
> Thanks again for your suggestions! They've helped guide me toward what
> to do next.
>
> Adam

Try searching on Ebay for a "genuine HP 22" cartridge. You'll often find
new carts at something like half-price that are stale-dated a little,
but still sealed so they are probably OK. They are most likely shelf
pulls that didn't sell before they ran out of time. Avoid those that
don't say they are still sealed.

Of course there are no guarrantees, but I've purchased some (another
number) for my printers that have been just fine.

TJ
--
Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be.
Overcoming the disadvantages we face is what makes us strong.
From: Adam on
Joel wrote:
> Ohhh.. I didn't look for HP either, and you may be right about the
> "Printhead" which can be an issue for refillable cartridge.

Thanks, Joel! I did a medium-sized web search, and the only place
offering refillable HP 21 (black) and 22 (tricolor) cartridges seems
to be:

http://szmicrotec.en.alibaba.com/product/228654852-50040455/Refillable_Cartridge_for_HP_21_22.html
http://szmicrotec.en.alibaba.com/product/268355096-50040455/Refillable_Inkjet_Cartridge_for_HP_21_22.html

They don't specify a price or minimum quantity, but at least that's
a starting point. It looks like there are more choices for the
higher-end HP printers.

Adam
From: Adam on
TJ wrote:
> Try searching on Ebay for a "genuine HP 22" cartridge. You'll often find
> new carts at something like half-price that are stale-dated a little,
> but still sealed so they are probably OK. They are most likely shelf
> pulls that didn't sell before they ran out of time. Avoid those that
> don't say they are still sealed.

Thanks, TJ! I hadn't thought of that. I already know that this
printer (Deskjet D1430) has no problem using "outdated" cartridges.

Adam
From: Adam on
Joel wrote:
> Again, I don't own any HP to know much about it, but I have been refilling
> Epson ink cartridge for many years.

Thanks again for all your advice, Joel! As I understand it, Epson
inkjets have a permanent printhead and the cartridges contain only
ink. However, HP cartridges include the printhead. I'm told that
the printhead (at least on an HP cartridge) isn't durable enough to
last beyond at most ten refills, so even with refilling an HP
cartridge will eventually wear out.

Adam