From: Adam on
Bob Headrick wrote:
> The sponge provides some back pressure to keep the ink from dripping out
> the bottom of the printhead. Without the sponge the ink will dribble
> out, at best causing a mess and at worst damaging the printer and
> perhaps your desktop. Ink delivery systems without sponges will have
> some other design to keep the ink in the cartridge. Examples include the
> spring bag system used in the #45 cartridges.

Thanks, Bob and EVERYONE, for all of your helpful and interesting
replies! I /would/ have asked how those refillable cartridges
manage without sponges, but that's already been asked and replied to
in here.

Adam
From: Bob Headrick on
"TJ" <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote in message

> FYI, I dare say that nobody that frequents this newsgroup knows more about
> HP printers than Bob Headrick. Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe
> he retired from HP just a couple of years ago or so after many years
> there.

Thanks for the kind words TJ. As it turns out I do happen to have extensive
experience in the operation of sponge type ink delivery systems, both in how
they work as well as the various ways they can fail. There are certainly
other forms of ink delivery systems that do not have sponges. The 21/22
cartridges do have sponges and indeed they *will* leak if the sponge is
removed and the space filled with ink. If the lid is sealed it may stop
leaking temporarily, but will leak again as the temperature increases (such
as during printing) or when the barometric pressure changes.

The discussion here (with its large percentage of misinformation) is one
example of why I do not frequent this newsgroup as much as in the past. I
the last couple years I have spent most of my volunteer support time in the
HP forums here:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/ct-p/InkJet

For those with questions on HP printers the forums there may be a better
place to get good answers.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

From: TJ on
On 07/27/2010 10:13 PM, Joel wrote:

> So many things around you willingly to teach you but you don't
> trust yourself enough to learn.
>
> It's sad that lot of people don't spend little spare time to learn many
> simple things happening right before our eyes.

It's also sad that there are people who assume another has little
confidence in himself in all things simply because he acknowledges that
someone else is likely to have superior knowledge in a specialized subject.

I'm done with this discussion. Feel free to spread any flames you may
have left. I shall not respond.

TJ
--
Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be.
Overcoming the disadvantages we face is what makes us strong.
From: Arthur Entlich on
As many have probably noted, and as Bob Headrick recently alluded to in
his recent and rare posting, many of the more active and knowledgeable
people who were on this news group have left or become sparse in their
posting. There tends to be an overall lack of respect, use of
unnecessarily profane language, spam, and other "noise" that makes it
both unappealing and difficult to be here.

I'm with TJ on this one.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Adam on
Bob Headrick wrote:
> There are certainly other forms of ink delivery systems that do
> not have sponges. The 21/22 cartridges do have sponges and indeed they
> *will* leak if the sponge is removed and the space filled with ink. If
> the lid is sealed it may stop leaking temporarily, but will leak again
> as the temperature increases (such as during printing) or when the
> barometric pressure changes.

Thanks, Bob! Someone here had suggested removing the sponges, so I
figured it was worth a try. Even if I end up with a ruined
cartridge and a mess to clean up, I'll have learned something. :-)

> In the last couple years I have spent most of my volunteer support time
> in the HP forums here:
> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-and-All-In-Ones/ct-p/InkJet
>
> For those with questions on HP printers the forums there may be a better
> place to get good answers.

Thanks again; I'll check it out. As it's an HP site, I'm curious
whether there are discussions of things that send revenue elsewhere
than HP, such as refilling with third-party ink. I'll soon find out!

Adam