From: TJ on
On 07/20/2010 06:29 PM, Adam wrote:
> TJ wrote:
>> Success at refilling is greatly increased if done before any of the
>> colors run out, and it doesn't hurt to refill when the cart is still 50%
>> full. I just successfully refilled one of my #57 carts, very similar to
>> the #22 carts, and it works perfectly - but Linux said it was still 25%
>> full before I refilled.
>>
>> If Adam can't develop a "feel" for how long a cart should last, he
>> should develop the habit of checking ink levels frequently.
>
> I agree completely! I kept checking, and refilled this HP 22 cartridge
> (which I've designated 'C') when 'hp-levels' reported there was 40-50%
> ink remaining, and somehow that one, which had stopped working (which
> was why I started this thread in the first place), is now working nicely
> for all three colors. Maybe it just took a while for the ink to soak
> down through the sponge or something.

Could have been a little air bubble in the passages leading to the
nozzles. You could try buying an Inktec tricolor refill kit. This comes
with a cartridge holder, ink, and four syringes. After using the first
three syringes to fill the cart, the fourth is used in conjunction with
the holder to draw some ink out through the nozzles to clear out any air
blocks. At least, that's the way it works with my #57 cartridges.

> Meanwhile I'm experimenting with HP 22's 'A' and 'B' which I thought I'd
> killed by letting the ink run out before trying to refill them.
> (Cartridges 'A' through 'E' (so far) all started out as identical sealed
> HP 22s, but I wanted to keep track of which was which.) It turned out to
> be not as hard as I expected to remove the blue tops of the cartridges,
> so I then took out the sponges, as had been suggested in this NG. Right
> now 'A' is soaking in isopropyl alcohol, and 'B' is soaking in ammonia.
> No conclusions yet. :-)

Since the HP color inks are dye-based, distilled water might have been
enough to do the job.

>> In Linux, HP printer ink levels can be checked easily with the HP
>> Device Manager, but you have to initiate the action yourself.
>
> Or, since Python source for the HPLIP package is available, maybe
> someone could eventually write a program (perhaps for /etc/cron.hourly)
> to check at regular intervals, and notify the user if the levels were
> below some threshold. One would have to ensure that (a) the printer was
> switched on, and (b) it wasn't in the middle of printing anything.

Don't look for it any time soon. Many, if not most, Linux programmers
feel that Linux users don't need that much hand-holding, and many, if
not most, long-term Linux users agree.

TJ
--
Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be.
Overcoming the disadvantages we face is what makes us strong.
From: Adam on
TJ wrote:
>> that [HP22], which had stopped working [...] is now working nicely
>> for all three colors.
>
> Could have been a little air bubble in the passages leading to the
> nozzles. You could try buying an Inktec tricolor refill kit. This comes
> with a cartridge holder, ink, and four syringes. After using the first
> three syringes to fill the cart, the fourth is used in conjunction with
> the holder to draw some ink out through the nozzles to clear out any air
> blocks. At least, that's the way it works with my #57 cartridges.

Thanks, TJ! That could have been it. I /think/ I can work out
something similar with what I already have on hand, but if not I'll
give that a try. I think Staples (office supply store chain)
carries those.

>> Meanwhile I'm experimenting with HP 22's 'A' and 'B' which I thought I'd
>> killed by letting the ink run out before trying to refill them.
[...]
>> so I then took out the sponges, as had been suggested in this NG. Right
>> now 'A' is soaking in isopropyl alcohol, and 'B' is soaking in ammonia.
>> No conclusions yet. :-)
>
> Since the HP color inks are dye-based, distilled water might have been
> enough to do the job.

NOW you tell me! :-) Thanks for the tip; I'll pick up some
distilled water and try that the next time. My preliminary
conclusions are that isopropyl alcohol cleans HP color carts, while
ammonia ruins them.

>> someone could eventually write a program (perhaps for /etc/cron.hourly)
>> to check at regular intervals, and notify the user if the levels were
>> below some threshold.
>
> Don't look for it any time soon. Many, if not most, Linux programmers
> feel that Linux users don't need that much hand-holding, and many, if
> not most, long-term Linux users agree.

I agree with you there. That's why I said "someone could write"
instead of saying that I would. ;-)

Adam
From: Bob Headrick on
"Adam" <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote in message

> Meanwhile I'm experimenting with HP 22's 'A' and 'B' which I thought I'd
> killed by letting the ink run out before trying to refill them.
> (Cartridges 'A' through 'E' (so far) all started out as identical sealed
> HP 22s, but I wanted to keep track of which was which.) It turned out to
> be not as hard as I expected to remove the blue tops of the cartridges, so
> I then took out the sponges, as had been suggested in this NG. Right now
> 'A' is soaking in isopropyl alcohol, and 'B' is soaking in ammonia. No
> conclusions yet. :-)

The sponge provides some back pressure to keep the ink from dripping out the
bottom of the printhead. Without the sponge the ink will dribble out, at
best causing a mess and at worst damaging the printer and perhaps your
desktop. Ink delivery systems without sponges will have some other design
to keep the ink in the cartrdige. Examples include the spring bag system
used in the #45 cartrdiges.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

From: TJ on
On 07/24/2010 07:13 PM, Joel wrote:
> "Bob Headrick"<bobh(a)proaxis.com> wrote:
>
>> "Adam"<adam(a)address.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>> Meanwhile I'm experimenting with HP 22's 'A' and 'B' which I thought I'd
>>> killed by letting the ink run out before trying to refill them.
>>> (Cartridges 'A' through 'E' (so far) all started out as identical sealed
>>> HP 22s, but I wanted to keep track of which was which.) It turned out to
>>> be not as hard as I expected to remove the blue tops of the cartridges, so
>>> I then took out the sponges, as had been suggested in this NG. Right now
>>> 'A' is soaking in isopropyl alcohol, and 'B' is soaking in ammonia. No
>>> conclusions yet. :-)
>>
>> The sponge provides some back pressure to keep the ink from dripping out the
>> bottom of the printhead. Without the sponge the ink will dribble out, at
>> best causing a mess and at worst damaging the printer and perhaps your
>> desktop. Ink delivery systems without sponges will have some other design
>> to keep the ink in the cartrdige. Examples include the spring bag system
>> used in the #45 cartrdiges.
>
> That may be what the designer had in mind, and what third party ink
> cartridge manufacture haven't thought of it. But to me it isn't the case
>
> And if you didn't follow this thread alosely then you may GOOGLE for the
> word "refillable cartridge" and you may find some clear photo of refillable
> catridge not only has no sponge but most of them has 2 LARGE HOLES for
> filling. Each hole is around 1/8" diameter right on top of the cartridge.

FYI, I dare say that nobody that frequents this newsgroup knows more
about HP printers than Bob Headrick. Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but I
believe he retired from HP just a couple of years ago or so after many
years there.

TJ
From: TJ on
On 07/25/2010 10:44 PM, Joel wrote:
> TJ<TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:
>

>> FYI, I dare say that nobody that frequents this newsgroup knows more
>> about HP printers than Bob Headrick. Bob, correct me if I'm wrong, but I
>> believe he retired from HP just a couple of years ago or so after many
>> years there.
>>
>> TJ
>
> Heck, I don't know who Bob Headrick is and I ain't dare to know more than
> what I know. I don't think working for HP means being smarter than you or
> anyone, else I would fight for a HP job myself.
>
> BTW, I never worked for HP, but in 1971 I started worked for a company
> making many computer stuffs from computer floppy, hard disc, to robot for
> big oil companies. And I ain't dare to say I know more about computer than
> anyone.
>
> So, you should be as good as Mr. Bob Headrick and others.

Of course I am, at what I do for a living, and so are you, I'm sure. But
while it's quite possible to know a little about many things, and a lot
about a few things, it's next to impossible to know a lot about
everything. We all have our specialties. HP printers are one of Bob's.
It isn't one of mine, and comments you have made show that it isn't one
of yours, either. Therefore, his knowledge of HP printers is likely to
be much more extensive than mine or yours.

I never worked for HP, either. Except for a two-year stint with a
newly-minted engineering BS, working for the US Army at the request of
Richard Nixon, I have been self-employed as a farmer since the age of
12. While in the Army, my specific job involved operating several pieces
of HP equipment, including minicomputers, at a research facility. But I
wouldn't dream of citing my experience with 38-year-old technology as a
qualification for understanding modern inkjet printers.

BTW, it's possible to disagree with somebody and remain respectful of
that person. You should try it.

TJ