From: TJ on
On 07/14/2010 08:24 PM, Adam wrote:
> Joel wrote:

>> P.S. Now I wonder if you can use a small hook to pull the sponge out
>> of the
>> original cartridge to make it spongeless?
>>
>> May be drilling a larger hole then seal the hole using Plastic Welder
>> (welding)?
>
> Or maybe separating the top from the rest of the cartridge. Thanks again!
>
> Adam

Just a quick note about the HP 21/22 carts... I believe they are of the
same basic construction as the HP 56/57 carts. This means that they
won't function if the cart is completely sealed. In the original carts,
the tank is vented through channels that peek out under the label. So,
if you go the route of removing the sponge (too much trouble, IHO), be
sure the tank is still sufficiently vented when you are finished
re-covering the top.

TJ
--
Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be.
Overcoming the disadvantages we face is what makes us strong.
From: Adam on
TJ wrote:
>>> P.S. Now I wonder if you can use a small hook to pull the sponge out
>>> of the original cartridge to make it spongeless?
>
> Just a quick note about the HP 21/22 carts... I believe they are of the
> same basic construction as the HP 56/57 carts. This means that they
> won't function if the cart is completely sealed. In the original carts,
> the tank is vented through channels that peek out under the label. So,
> if you go the route of removing the sponge (too much trouble, IHO), be
> sure the tank is still sufficiently vented when you are finished
> re-covering the top.

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for letting me know!

Adam
From: TJ on
On 07/19/2010 02:01 AM, Joel wrote:
> TJ<TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:

>>> Or maybe separating the top from the rest of the cartridge. Thanks again!
>>>
>>> Adam
>>
>> Just a quick note about the HP 21/22 carts... I believe they are of the
>> same basic construction as the HP 56/57 carts. This means that they
>> won't function if the cart is completely sealed. In the original carts,
>> the tank is vented through channels that peek out under the label. So,
>> if you go the route of removing the sponge (too much trouble, IHO), be
>> sure the tank is still sufficiently vented when you are finished
>> re-covering the top.
>>
>> TJ
>
> We are talking about finding away to remove the sponge inside catridge so
> it can hold more ink, and there won't be dried ink in the sponge so it can
> be refilled lot more.
>
> IOW, one of the reasons why most cartriges can only be refilled 3-5 times
> because when the ink getting lower it will dry, and the sponge will hold
> fewer and fewer ink.
>
> And the reason that the refillable can be refilled almost forever because
> it has no sponge. My current Epson RX680, I am on the middle of 2nd set of
> 6 bottle of inks, and it's still running strong. IOW, if they are original
> or normal ink cartridge with sponge then I may have to replace 15-20 sets or
> so.
Yes, I know what you are talking about. I question if it's worth the
trouble for the average printer, that's all. If Adam does a lot of
printing, then yes, it's worth it. If he prints like most home users,
I'd say no. Merely my opinion.

The print heads used on HP and Epson are very different from each other,
right down to the basic form. Useful life may not depend solely on the
presence or absence of a sponge. Search for Arthur Entlich's discussions
on the matter. He is far more knowledgeable on this subject than I.

A Google search finds listings for CISS systems for Adam's printer, so
it is possible. However, while I only looked at a few, every one was
from Asia. It's very possible that the firmware of an HP printer
designed for use in North America may reject such a system, part of HP's
master plan to soak us for every ink dollar they can. However, I don't
know enough about that stuff to do more than speculate.

TJ
From: TJ on
On 07/19/2010 03:49 PM, Joel wrote:

> And most if not all ink yet printers (even laser printer) have option to
> display the ink status, you can always check to see the ink level. Again,
> this is the calculated ink level by number of print not the actual level

Success at refilling is greatly increased if done before any of the
colors run out, and it doesn't hurt to refill when the cart is still 50%
full. I just successfully refilled one of my #57 carts, very similar to
the #22 carts, and it works perfectly - but Linux said it was still 25%
full before I refilled.

If Adam can't develop a "feel" for how long a cart should last, he
should develop the habit of checking ink levels frequently. Windows will
alert him automatically, but Linux doesn't do that much handholding. In
Linux, HP printer ink levels can be checked easily with the HP Device
Manager, but you have to initiate the action yourself.

TJ
From: Adam on
TJ wrote:
> Success at refilling is greatly increased if done before any of the
> colors run out, and it doesn't hurt to refill when the cart is still 50%
> full. I just successfully refilled one of my #57 carts, very similar to
> the #22 carts, and it works perfectly - but Linux said it was still 25%
> full before I refilled.
>
> If Adam can't develop a "feel" for how long a cart should last, he
> should develop the habit of checking ink levels frequently.

I agree completely! I kept checking, and refilled this HP 22
cartridge (which I've designated 'C') when 'hp-levels' reported
there was 40-50% ink remaining, and somehow that one, which had
stopped working (which was why I started this thread in the first
place), is now working nicely for all three colors. Maybe it just
took a while for the ink to soak down through the sponge or something.

Meanwhile I'm experimenting with HP 22's 'A' and 'B' which I thought
I'd killed by letting the ink run out before trying to refill them.
(Cartridges 'A' through 'E' (so far) all started out as identical
sealed HP 22s, but I wanted to keep track of which was which.) It
turned out to be not as hard as I expected to remove the blue tops
of the cartridges, so I then took out the sponges, as had been
suggested in this NG. Right now 'A' is soaking in isopropyl
alcohol, and 'B' is soaking in ammonia. No conclusions yet. :-)

> In Linux, HP printer ink levels can be checked easily with the HP
> Device Manager, but you have to initiate the action yourself.

Or, since Python source for the HPLIP package is available, maybe
someone could eventually write a program (perhaps for
/etc/cron.hourly) to check at regular intervals, and notify the user
if the levels were below some threshold. One would have to ensure
that (a) the printer was switched on, and (b) it wasn't in the
middle of printing anything.

Adam