From: Adam on
I just refilled all three colors in one of my HP 22 tricolor
cartridges, and the yellow and cyan are fine -- but it won't print
magenta. Has this happened to anyone? Can anybody take a guess at
what's wrong? Did I let the cartridge get too empty before
refilling it, or am I using a rotten batch of ink, or what? Thanks
in advance for any clues!

Adam
From: Jonathan L. Parker on
Adam wrote:
> I just refilled all three colors in one of my HP 22 tricolor cartridges,
> and the yellow and cyan are fine -- but it won't print magenta. Has
> this happened to anyone? Can anybody take a guess at what's wrong? Did
> I let the cartridge get too empty before refilling it, or am I using a
> rotten batch of ink, or what?

Could be a bunch of things. You might just have a little air entrapped
between the ink in the magenta sponge and the printhead. I find that
HP22s are susceptible to that. What I do is slip the cartridge into a
plastic bag (a long narrow one like newspapers are delivered in works
well), then *take it outside* and with the printhead side pointing
outward, swing it around in a circle a few times to force the ink
towards the printhead. Hey, it worked the last time I refilled.

When you run a series of cleaning cycles do you get *any* magenta output
at all? If you even get just a few streaks or spots, there's still
hope. Keep trying. Otherwise, I'd bet you ran the magenta sponge dry
and fried the corresponding jets in the printhead as a result. At any
rate a 22 is too cheap to spend much effort on resuscitating. If you've
gotten several good refills out of it already, try the centrifuge trick
followed by a few more cleaning cycles, and if that doesn't resurrect it
give it a decent burial, buy a replacement and get on with your life.
From: Peter on
On 02/07/2010 02:58, Adam wrote:
> I just refilled all three colors in one of my HP 22 tricolor cartridges,
> and the yellow and cyan are fine -- but it won't print magenta. Has this
> happened to anyone? Can anybody take a guess at what's wrong? Did I let
> the cartridge get too empty before refilling it, or am I using a rotten
> batch of ink, or what? Thanks in advance for any clues!
>
> Adam
I've had same problem with #28 cartridges. First refill is triggered by
the regular low ink warning, and works OK, subsequent ones are initiated
when the ink actually runs out (unless I've been very good at keeping
records of use) and often it won't print again. I've even had failures
with commercially processed refills.
From: Adam on
Peter wrote:
>> I just refilled all three colors in one of my HP 22 tricolor cartridges,
>> and the yellow and cyan are fine -- but it won't print magenta. Has this
>> happened to anyone? Can anybody take a guess at what's wrong? Did I let
>> the cartridge get too empty before refilling it, or am I using a rotten
>> batch of ink, or what? Thanks in advance for any clues!
>>
> I've had same problem with #28 cartridges. First refill is triggered by
> the regular low ink warning, and works OK, subsequent ones are initiated
> when the ink actually runs out (unless I've been very good at keeping
> records of use) and often it won't print again. I've even had failures
> with commercially processed refills.

Thanks, Peter! I'm using the Deskjet mostly under Linux which has
no "low ink" warning, but the HPLIP software includes a pretty
accurate program to display the ink levels. I see I'd better not
let them get too low before refilling the cartridge. Unfortunately
it only shows one level for the tricolor cartridge, so it would be
possible to run out of one color and still show a decent ink level.

It's also reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has less
than 100% success refilling HP carts!

Adam
From: Adam on
Jonathan L. Parker wrote:
>> I just refilled all three colors in one of my HP 22 tricolor
>> cartridges, and the yellow and cyan are fine -- but it won't print
>> magenta.
>
> Could be a bunch of things. You might just have a little air entrapped
> between the ink in the magenta sponge and the printhead. I find that
> HP22s are susceptible to that. What I do is slip the cartridge into a
> plastic bag (a long narrow one like newspapers are delivered in works
> well), then *take it outside* and with the printhead side pointing
> outward, swing it around in a circle a few times to force the ink
> towards the printhead. Hey, it worked the last time I refilled.

Thanks, Jonathan! I tried it, and it didn't help this time, but
I'll remember that for the future. Reminder: when removing
cartridges from bag, wipe the cartridges! One of the two seems
completely dead; the other is fine with yellow and cyan, but no sign
of magenta. I think for the next few days, I'll use it to print
unimportant text things in green instead of black.

> I'd bet you ran the magenta sponge dry and fried
> the corresponding jets in the printhead as a result.

Sounds reasonable. In future I'll refill them before the ink level
gets too low.

> At any rate a 22 is
> too cheap to spend much effort on resuscitating. If you've gotten
> several good refills out of it already, try the centrifuge trick
> followed by a few more cleaning cycles, and if that doesn't resurrect it
> give it a decent burial, buy a replacement and get on with your life.

I haven't yet gotten a successful refill out of a 22. I've only
tried a few times so far, though. No problems refilling 21s.

Anyway, I think both 22s are dead. There's some value in keeping
two dead cartridges of each model around, though. The printer can
only remember two serial numbers -- so if you refill a cartridge,
but put in the other two cartridges first (whether dead or not), by
the time you put in the refilled one, it's forgotten its serial
number and reports it as 100% full again. That sounds easier than
the adhesive tape method to me.

Thanks again for lots of valuable advice with this!

Adam