From: Boris Badenov on
PhilD wrote:

> Why not just export the Registry from within itself, save to Desktop, and if
> things go wrong just run the saved file to re-enter previous settings?

CCleaner offers to make a backup before it deletes entries anyway. Like
I said before though, it has never caused me or thousands of other
people that use it any issues but I'm sure it has for some on occasion.
That's probably why it gets updates frequently.
From: ~BD~ on
Boris Badenov wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>
>> Indeed, I have always been amazed that posters a prolific as you,
>> Peter Foldes, Tom Willett, PABear, Siljaline (to name just a few) are
>> still using Outlook Express as their newsreaders. It just strikes me
>> as odd.
>>

> Why? It gets the job done and does have a spell-checker.

It's not ....... logical. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3QXBHYRhpw
From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Quilljar" <not(a)home .today>
>
>> Is there a reliable free Windows 7 Registry cleaner?
>
> NONE !
>
> It is a fallicy that you need a so-called Registry Cleaner.

Quilly seems to desperately want to use a registry cleaner, because he got
the same answer to his post of March 13, 2010 in alt.windows7.general.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to
be taken seriously. Hubert H. Humphrey

From: David Kaye on
Boris Badenov <boris(a)plotsylvanian.invalid> wrote:

>Post your benchmarks and testing method. The benchmark probably measures
>in nano-seconds which may look like a huge difference on paper but is
>neglible in the real world.

I don't have them on this computer anymore and I'm not particularly interested
in posting them. People can run their own if they're so inclined.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Boris Badenov" <boris(a)plotsylvanian.invalid>

| David Kaye wrote:

>> Oh? I have done benchmarks that prove defragging speeds up a PC. I have also
>> done two benchmarks that show that even the best registry cleaner, CCleaner,
>> doesn't do anything measurable to speed. Yeah, there was about a 1% speedup
>> but that could have been attributable to a prefetch or pagesys I forgot to
>> remove.

| Post your benchmarks and testing method. The benchmark probably measures
| in nano-seconds which may look like a huge difference on paper but is
| neglible in the real world.

If you are talking about data fragmentation on a hard disk, it DOES make a difference in
speed to defrag the disk.

A simple example.

I have a multi-drive SCSI system.

I use Outlook Express which creates DBX files representing folders and news groups. I
access many news groups and have been doing it for years and thus I have >1.5GB in those
files. To improve performance I have them in a different SCSI drive that the OS and OE.
They are stored in D:\OE

Those DBX files can become quite fragmented and loading a news group, represented by a DBX
file, can be slowed down. Defragging the "D:" drives improves the performance of OE
accessing those news groups quite noticeably.

I always express a dramatization of disk defragmentation as a such...

You look at a news paper. You read an article on Page 1 and you read a few paragraphs.
At the end its states go to Page 17.

Now you thumb through the paper and find Page 17 and you read a few more paragraphs. At
the end its states go to Page 25.

Now you thumb through the paper and find Page 25 and you read a few more paragraphs. At
the end its states go to Page 4.

Now you thumb through the paper and find Page 4 and you read a few more paragraphs which
finishes the article.

Wouldn't it have been BETTER and FASTER to read the article contiguously on Page 1 ?

Every time you had to thumb through the paper and find Page X and the article section
within said page you had an induced latency.

This is what is happening on the hard drive as data gets fragmented. Files are no longer
contiguous on disk sectors.

--
Dave

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Rant
Next: Spyware Blaster Database Updated 3|12|2010