From: PhilD on

"Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "PhilD" <replytonewsgrouponly(a)aussient.com.au> wrote in
>
>> <carl(a)where33.org> wrote in message

>>> CCleaner screwed my registry the very first time I ever tried it.
>>> Luckily, I believe in backing up my registry with Erunt before ever
>>> screwing with it. After another 'adventure' or two with registry
>>> cleaners, I gave up on them. Their dangerous. I use the registry
>>> optimizer here,
>>> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>>> along with Erunt. The only work I do on my registry is to manually
>>> remove entries after I uninstall a program. Even this can get you
>>> into trouble if you aren't very careful.
>>>
>>> ALWAYS backup your registry with Erunt BEFORE modifying it in any
>>> way. (Don't even bring up that joke of a Windows program, Windows
>>> Restore Point.)
>
>> Why not just export the Registry from within itself, save to Desktop,
>> and if things go wrong just run the saved file to re-enter previous
>> settings?
>
> If things go wrong, you may not be seeing the desktop again anytime soon.
> Offly hard to run the saved file if you fucked up the exe file
> associations, for example.

You can save a copy elsewhere as a further backup if wanted but my point
was, why use a separate application when regedit already has the
backup/export function already built in? It saves it with a xx.reg name that
is easily run to return to previous settings if something fails, provided
you haven't changed something else in the meantime.

I have used CCleaner, and another that did screw up some things once, but
these days I've only used them for cleaning up specific program's (Nero in
particular). One thing I won't do is allow a registry cleaner to
automatically fix all it finds.

From: Dustin Cook on

> "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "PhilD" <replytonewsgrouponly(a)aussient.com.au> wrote in
>>
>>> <carl(a)where33.org> wrote in message

>>> Why not just export the Registry from within itself, save to
>>> Desktop, and if things go wrong just run the saved file to re-enter
>>> previous settings?
>>
>> If things go wrong, you may not be seeing the desktop again anytime
>> soon. Offly hard to run the saved file if you fucked up the exe file
>> associations, for example.
>>
> You can save a copy elsewhere as a further backup if wanted but my
> point was, why use a separate application when regedit already has the
> backup/export function already built in? It saves it with a xx.reg
> name that is easily run to return to previous settings if something
> fails, provided you haven't changed something else in the meantime.

Well, to sum it up; in the likely event you can't use regedit due to the
changes made; you obviously aren't going to get very many benefits from
an exported hive that you can't alter and reimport. It's much better to
have the actual hive files backed up... you can do something with those,
even if your local copy of regedit is rendered dead.

For minor screwup issues, sure; your method will work, as long as the
changes made to the registry aren't critical enough to stop windows from
booting again. If they are, than your exported "backup" is worthless.

At the end of the day tho, it's your machine and you can do with it as
you desire.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Boris Badenov on
~BD~ wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3QXBHYRhpw

Finally someone remembered who poor old Boris was. +1
From: Boris Badenov on
David H. Lipman wrote:

> If you are talking about data fragmentation on a hard disk, it DOES make a difference in
> speed to defrag the disk.

We've been through this all before and I don't care to go through it
again. They people in the storage group say you guys that think this are
out to lunch and wrong. The benefit of defrag is negligible.
From: Boris Badenov on
ASCII wrote:

> It's a catch phrase someone heard and thought it kewl to repeat,
> then the others just fell in behind the first lemming.

Um, no. The lemmings are the one's who think it really makes a dif when
it doesn't.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Rant
Next: Spyware Blaster Database Updated 3|12|2010