From: Boris Badenov on
Dustin Cook wrote:

> If things go wrong, you may not be seeing the desktop again anytime soon.
> Offly hard to run the saved file if you fucked up the exe file
> associations, for example.

CCleaner doesn't mess with file associations or anything else system
related. It just removes invalid entries. I've been using it for years
and my desktop is still here.
From: Buffalo on

Boris Badenov wrote:
> Dustin Cook wrote:
>
>> If things go wrong, you may not be seeing the desktop again anytime
>> soon. Offly hard to run the saved file if you fucked up the exe file
>> associations, for example.
>>

> CCleaner doesn't mess with file associations or anything else system
> related. It just removes invalid entries. I've been using it for years
> and my desktop is still here.

It does remove Unused File Extensions,Missing Shared DLL's and Open with
Application Issues (shells), only if you so choose.
I have had problems with the Open with Application Issues and Missing Shared
DLL's being deleted.
When it happened, I could still boot to the Desktop and I was able to use
the restore of the backup provided.
If you can't boot up after the deletions, you cannot restore the backup,
AFAIK.
Buffalo
PS: I have never noticed a speed increase after I used the Registry Cleaner
function, have you?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Boris Badenov" <boris(a)plotsylvanian.invalid>

| David H. Lipman wrote:

>> If you are talking about data fragmentation on a hard disk, it DOES make a difference
>> in
>> speed to defrag the disk.

| We've been through this all before and I don't care to go through it
| again. They people in the storage group say you guys that think this are
| out to lunch and wrong. The benefit of defrag is negligible.

They are complely WRONG!

--
Dave

From: Peter Foldes on
Better inform those in that group and mainly yourself that you and they are wrong

--
Peter

From: Leythos on
In article <hnoq37$tct$4(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
boris(a)plotsylvanian.invalid says...

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>
> > If you are talking about data fragmentation on a hard disk, it DOES make a difference in
> > speed to defrag the disk.
>
> We've been through this all before and I don't care to go through it
> again. They people in the storage group say you guys that think this are
> out to lunch and wrong. The benefit of defrag is negligible.

Boris - have you actually tested it yourself?

I have about 100 servers that have RAID-1 groups on them as well as many
other array types.

In one server the client applications were slowly failing to pull PDF
files, up to 8000 per directory and 1 directory per day - the failures
started after about a year. In the case of these PDF's, they are added
to the server, edited at least 2 times each, some as many as 10 times,
and saved back on the server - this naturally creates a LOT of
fragmented files - in one case, one PDF had 3,200+ fragments.

To resolve the issue, the only thing that was done was to defrag the
drive that the PDF's were contained on. Once that was completed the
application performed like the day it was installed. We have since
created a weekend defrag task and the problem has not surfaced again.
The document management company that created this system had been
fighting this problem with hundreds of their customers, and it was my
"Defrag" that resolved it for our system and after I passed this on to
them, it resolved the issue for all of their long term customers systems
too.

So, since you don't appear to have any real-world experience yourself,
why do you listen to people that have a vested interest in something vs.
those of us that have no vested interest?

Trust yourself.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Rant
Next: Spyware Blaster Database Updated 3|12|2010