From: Mark A. Sam on
I'm not clear on this myself. I ordered the machines with XP, but they
referred to it as Windows 7 downgradable to Windows XP. In another forum, I
was told that it is a virtual PC Session. The operating system DVD's that
came with the machines are labelled "Windows 7 Professional". The drivers
and recovery disk is lablled "for Windows XP". I could run the DVD and see
the options, but I thought I'd check it out first. I hope that makes sense.

From: Mark A. Sam on

I don't understand what you mean. I don't claim to be a guru. I'm an
Access developer. He has given me other tasks to do and it paying me for
them, so why not?

Your correct that they have Windows 7, but it looks like XP. It doens't
matter how you define it, I want it to look like Windows 7. I hope that
makes sense.

God Bless,

Mark

From: Mark A. Sam on
I know I'm wasn't clear and I apologize. That is what I am looking for then.
How do I close the Virtual PC window?

From: Lem on
Mark A. Sam wrote:
> I'm not clear on this myself. I ordered the machines with XP, but they
> referred to it as Windows 7 downgradable to Windows XP. In another forum, I
> was told that it is a virtual PC Session. The operating system DVD's that
> came with the machines are labelled "Windows 7 Professional". The drivers
> and recovery disk is lablled "for Windows XP". I could run the DVD and see
> the options, but I thought I'd check it out first. I hope that makes sense.
>

> "News123" <news1234(a)free.fr> wrote in message
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Mark A. Sam wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recenlty purchased two laptops for a client installed with Windows 7
>>> in
>>> XP mode. Can these be switched to Windows 7 and how.
>>>
>>> Thank you and God Bless,
>>>
>>> Mark A. Sam
>>
>> Perhaps you could explain what you mean with Windows 7 in XP mode.
>>
>> Windows 7 is always in Windows 7 mode. ;-)
>>
>> Additionally you can install a Windows XP emulator under Windows 7.
>>

>> Or do you mean, that you downgraded the Winows 7 license to a Windows XP
>> license?
>>

>> You might get more help if you clarify.

"Windows 7 downgradable to Windows XP" does NOT sound like "running in
XP mode" or using a virtual PC. Rather, it sounds more like what usually
is sold on a "business" computer to organizations that want a new
computer but don't want to switch to Windows 7 yet. I haven't paid close
attention, but I don't think this typically was offered on "consumer" PCs.

Basically, you have a Windows 7 capable computer (and the media to
install Windows 7), but Windows XP is the operating system installed on
it. See, for example,
http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=552836

If you (or your client) are now ready for Windows 7, you'll have to do a
"custom install" of Windows 7, which basically means that you'll have to
copy any data you want saved and re-install any applications after the
Windows 7 install is completed. See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: db on
perhaps their win 7 appears
to look like an xp desktop
because a xp theme like
'windows blinds' has been
installed.

I also ready that perhaps xp
has been virtualized in win7.

while this can be true, it is
unlikely that xp can access
any of the win7 drivers.

in any case you should simply
run a msinfo32 or something
to ensure what the o.s.

if it is a win7, then go to control
panel and click system

if it is xp then run msinfo32

db �...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- @Hotmail.com
- nntp Postologist
~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mark A. Sam" <MarkASam(a)EmEssEn.Com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I recenlty purchased two laptops for a client installed with Windows 7 in
> XP mode. Can these be switched to Windows 7 and how.
>
> Thank you and God Bless,
>
> Mark A. Sam

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: KB974417
Next: Using an external USB drive to run apps from?