From: Mark A. Sam on
The client wanted them, but since then he bought a couple Windows 7 machines
and I have upgraded some Vista machines, and they work fine, so I want to
upgrade these too. He will probably be replacing all of his machines in the
next could years, so I think it best to be standard.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Again, contact the OEM.

Mark A. Sam wrote:
> The client wanted them, but since then he bought a couple Windows 7
> machines
> and I have upgraded some Vista machines, and they work fine, so I want to
> upgrade these too. He will probably be replacing all of his machines in
> the
> next could years, so I think it best to be standard.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> ...I ordered the machines with XP, but they
>>> referred to it as Windows 7 downgradable to Windows XP.
>>
>> Contact HP Support under terms of the Warranty.
>>
>> QED: If you wanted Win7 installed, why did you order WinXP?
>>

>> Mark A. Sam wrote:
>>> That isn't true. In my case, XP is installed and I need to install
>>> Windows
>>> 7.

From: Anteaus on
Before going anywhere with this I would quiz the client as to WHY he/she
wants to change to 7.

Windows 7 works. Vista did not work, at least not properly. That said, XP
works, and for most users there is no real advantage to 7, over XP. Over
Vista, definitely.

A key issue will arise if the client has a LAN with existing computers,
especially if it's a server/domain setup. If so it would be better to stick
to the same OS family (2000/XP or Vista/7) throughout. Mixing OS families on
a LAN will give rise to lots of problems.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[We must've hit a nerve...]

From: Terry R. on
On 5/14/2010 1:22 AM On a whim, Anteaus pounded out on the keyboard

> Before going anywhere with this I would quiz the client as to WHY he/she
> wants to change to 7.
>
> Windows 7 works. Vista did not work, at least not properly. That said, XP
> works, and for most users there is no real advantage to 7, over XP. Over
> Vista, definitely.
>
> A key issue will arise if the client has a LAN with existing computers,
> especially if it's a server/domain setup. If so it would be better to stick
> to the same OS family (2000/XP or Vista/7) throughout. Mixing OS families on
> a LAN will give rise to lots of problems.

Care to elaborate?

On one network I admin, there are servers with WS2003 and WS2008. Most
workstations are XP, but we have been upgrading workstations and laptops
that can handle it to Win7. There have been NO issues.

Terry R.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: KB974417
Next: Using an external USB drive to run apps from?