From: Mark A. Sam on
This is Windows 7. The other responses support that as well as a search I
did on the topic. The systems also came with Windows 7 installation DVD's.

From: News123 on
Lem wrote:
> Mark A. Sam wrote:
>> I'm not clear on this myself. I ordered the machines with XP, but
>> they referred to it as Windows 7 downgradable to Windows XP. In
>> another forum, I was told that it is a virtual PC Session. The
>> operating system DVD's that came with the machines are labelled
>> "Windows 7 Professional". The drivers and recovery disk is lablled
>> "for Windows XP". I could run the DVD and see the options, but I
>> thought I'd check it out first. I hope that makes sense.
>>

> "Windows 7 downgradable to Windows XP" does NOT sound like "running in
> XP mode" or using a virtual PC. Rather, it sounds more like what usually
> is sold on a "business" computer to organizations that want a new
> computer but don't want to switch to Windows 7 yet. I haven't paid close
> attention, but I don't think this typically was offered on "consumer" PCs.
>
> Basically, you have a Windows 7 capable computer (and the media to
> install Windows 7), but Windows XP is the operating system installed on
> it. See, for example,
> http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=552836
>
> If you (or your client) are now ready for Windows 7, you'll have to do a
> "custom install" of Windows 7, which basically means that you'll have to
> copy any data you want saved and re-install any applications after the
> Windows 7 install is completed. See
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

Whith what you describe I think, that you got a Windows 7 license, but
that the installed operationg system is Windows XP.

To be sure please look at following.

When the computer boots (is powered up), what do you see on the screen.

If it looks like Windows XP during the boot process, then I'd say, that
you are running Windows XP (so your license was downgraded)
Basically you had to install windows 7 then.

If it looks like Windows 7 (during startup), then it will be the
Windows XP emulation mode.

Windows XP during startup should look like:
Screen with the Text "Starting Microsoft Windows XP"

Windows 7 during startup should look like:
White text on black barckground with 'Starting Windows' and the text
"Microsoft Corporation" at the bottom of the screen.
Then and a few colored animated points assembling themselves to windows
logo)

bye

From: Mark A. Sam on
It looks like XP from start to finish. I think I'll call HP and ask them.
They installed the OS.

Thanks.

From: Mark A. Sam on
This is resolved. This was an installation of XP and not XP Mode. Thanks
for all of the responses.

From: Mark Adams on

"Mark A. Sam" wrote:

> It looks like XP from start to finish. I think I'll call HP and ask them.
> They installed the OS.
>
> Thanks.

Very easy to check. Right click on the My Computer icon, select Properties.
Post back the name and service pack level of the operating system. If you
have XP it will say so. Use your Windows 7 installation media to install
Windows 7.

> "News123" <news1234(a)free.fr> wrote in message
> windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7
> >
> > Whith what you describe I think, that you got a Windows 7 license, but
> > that the installed operationg system is Windows XP.
> >
> > To be sure please look at following.
> >

> > When the computer boots (is powered up), what do you see on the screen.
> >
> > If it looks like Windows XP during the boot process, then I'd say, that
> > you are running Windows XP (so your license was downgraded)
> > Basically you had to install windows 7 then.
> >

> > If it looks like Windows 7 (during startup), then it will be the
> > Windows XP emulation mode.
> >

> > Windows XP during startup should look like:
> > Screen with the Text "Starting Microsoft Windows XP"
> >
> > Windows 7 during startup should look like:
> > White text on black barckground with 'Starting Windows' and the text
> > "Microsoft Corporation" at the bottom of the screen.
> > Then and a few colored animated points assembling themselves to windows
> > logo)
> >
> > bye

> .

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: KB974417
Next: Using an external USB drive to run apps from?