From: Mark A. Sam on
Thank you Mark. You got it right. I got that from HP. What I neglected to
ask them is whether the product key for Windows 7 is the same as the XP
version. Do you know that?

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:36:47 -0400, "Mark A. Sam"
<MarkASam(a)EmEssEn.Com> wrote:

> Thank you Mark. You got it right. I got that from HP. What I neglected to
> ask them is whether the product key for Windows 7 is the same as the XP
> version. Do you know that?

Product keys for different versions of Windows are never the same. A
key for one version will not work with another.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Mark Adams on

"Mark A. Sam" wrote:

> Thank you Mark. You got it right. I got that from HP. What I neglected to
> ask them is whether the product key for Windows 7 is the same as the XP
> version. Do you know that?

No, it's not the same. Your Windows 7 product keys should be on a sticker
attached to the bottom of the laptops. The machines probably have a hidden
restore partition on the hard drive that you can invoke by selecting the
proper keystrokes during startup (read the owner's manual). This will restore
Windows 7 to the machines and wipe out the XP install along with any data on
the drives. Make sure you save any data that you want to keep before you do
this. The Windows 7 install will be preactivated, you won't need to enter a
product key.

It would be a good idea to make a recovery image of the XP installs to an
external hard drive before you do this, because you will not have any other
way to reinstall XP if ever you want to.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Huh?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Contact the OEM.

Mark A. Sam wrote:
> I'm not clear on this myself. I ordered the machines with XP, but they
> referred to it as Windows 7 downgradable to Windows XP. In another forum,
> was told that it is a virtual PC Session. The operating system DVD's that
> came with the machines are labelled "Windows 7 Professional". The drivers
> and recovery disk is lablled "for Windows XP". I could run the DVD and
> see
> the options, but I thought I'd check it out first. I hope that makes
> sense.
>

> "News123" <news1234(a)free.fr> wrote in message
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Mark A. Sam wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recenlty purchased two laptops for a client installed with Windows 7
>>> in
>>> XP mode. Can these be switched to Windows 7 and how.
>>>
>>> Thank you and God Bless,
>>>
>>> Mark A. Sam
>>

>> Perhaps you could explain what you mean with Windows 7 in XP mode.
>>
>> Windows 7 is always in Windows 7 mode. ;-)
>>
>> Additionally you can install a Windows XP emulator under Windows 7.
>>

>> Or do you mean, that you downgraded the Winows 7 license to a Windows XP
>> license?
>>

>> You might get more help if you clarify.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: KB974417
Next: Using an external USB drive to run apps from?